Not only Messingham

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
While I agree Mess is horrible, we have not had a big play reciever here since Todd Blythe. We need to recruit JUCO's or something to shore up the line. I'm sick of hearing that it just takes time to develop players.

Did you not see Bundrage? He is legit

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The OL is in complete disarray. I think we have the skill players to complete, but OL wasn't strong BEFORE the injuries and now it's just decimated. I think we just need to survive until we can get Farniok back. It's an uphill battle this year.

I get that the line isn't great but I can't think of a play this year where a RB made a play on their own. Neither SJ, White, or Wimberly have done anything to seperate themselves, Nealy has barely been a blip on the radar and is Woody still on the team?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
While I agree Mess is horrible, we have not had a big play reciever here since Todd Blythe. We need to recruit JUCO's or something to shore up the line. I'm sick of hearing that it just takes time to develop players. The'll be saying that in year 10!

Bundrage filled that role tonight and will continue to fill that role if he's given the opportunity to do so.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I somewhat agree we don't have the greatest players. The OL was questionable before it became depleted, and the skill positions don't look so great, either. But I think they would look so much better if they were actually put in the position to win, which they rarely do.

I'm not necessarily convinced the scheme is the problem. So many people are stating that we need to dump the spread in favor of going back to the pro set. The problem is when Chizik came in and dumped the pro set for the spread, everyone cheered him for doing so. Basically, while I myself am not really fond of the spread, it doesn't really matter what the scheme is if you can't effectively call plays and you can't match up talent wise. Do you honestly think Mess would do any better with a pro set than he does with the spread/pistol?

Yes, our offense is underperforming. While some of that is on them for not doing their job, anybody that has watched this team knows the offense looks lost out there. That is on coaching. The offense looked completely unprepared to play today, and this coaching staff had two weeks to prepare them to play this game. And then the play calling for the most part was simply atrocious. It was as if Iowa's DC was in the huddle with us. All evening Iowa was daring us to throw the ball downfield (the secondary was completely open) and instead we run plays straight into the teeth of the defense. And I'm sorry, that bubble screen yards behind the line of scrimmage on 4th and 4 was simple inexcusable. That play never had a chance to succeed. Fine, an OL missed a block. First, I'm not convinced we get the first down even if that block is made, second, it goes to my point that this offense looked completely lost and unprepared to play. Who does that fall on? First Messingham, and Rhoads as the guy who is ultimately responsible for this team.

I honestly don't have the answers on how to fix this offense in two weeks. I do know that one thing that can be done is getting Mess out of there because he is completely in over his head.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I get that the line isn't great but I can't think of a play this year where a RB made a play on their own. Neither SJ, White, or Wimberly have done anything to seperate themselves, Nealy has barely been a blip on the radar and is Woody still on the team?

We don't have an Adrian Peterson - I'll give you that. These RBs are good enough to win 6-7 games with I believe. The OL is a disaster right now. There's no cohesion, fire, or confidence in that unit. They are whipped puppies and anyone can see that. Sam doesn't trust them and they aren't being effective at ANY part of their duties.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
The online is not stellar right now cause of injury, but that is no excuse gotta have depth at key positions on the field. Year five of the Rhoads era and we have gotten some good times and some bad ones, right now it's bad.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
No, this is absolutely, 100% on Mess, and anyone that doesn't think so needs to open their eyes. He is out there trying to run zone read plays with a QB that can barely move against a pretty stout front 7 defense backed up by horrible DBs. Yes, Iowa backed off to try and cover, but you know what? They couldn't cover at all. QB beat the Iowa DBs like a rented mule all night. Besides the 3 TDs he was behind them 3 other times and Sam missed him. If the Clones would have come out with 5 wideouts and attacked the Iowa secondary from the start it could have been a completely different game. I understand that this is not the offense that ISU has, but when you have a QB that can't run and a beat up OL, it gives you a fighting chance to win the game.

I said it 100 times, the moronic 30 yard pass to the sideline does not work unless there is at least some threat that you are actually going to throw the ball down field. Otherwise everyone is going to play everyone up to the LOS and just tackle. That bubble screen will work against a cushion, but why would anyone give a cushion to a team that never throws down the field?

Last edited:
Reactions: kingcy

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
3.5 solid quarters of WR screens and zone reads. 1/2 quarter of throwing the ball down the middle of the field. 2 different looking offenses. I hope we remember which one yielded more points.

I HATE THE SPREAD OFFENSE!

How can we go through 3 different coaching staffs in the last 8 years or so and still have the same playbook?

This is not a spread. At very few points does this team spread the field. When they do it is with one player

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
While I agree Mess is horrible, we have not had a big play reciever here since Todd Blythe. We need to recruit JUCO's or something to shore up the line. I'm sick of hearing that it just takes time to develop players. The'll be saying that in year 10!

If they would let the WRs run and try to get open maybe someone become that guy. Look at what happened tonight when they did that, good things happened. Running 5 yard stop routes does no good.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
No, this is absolutely, 100% on Mess, and anyone that doesn't think so needs to open their eyes. He is out there trying to run zone read plays with a QB that can barely move against a pretty stout front 7 defense backed up by horrible DBs. Yes, Iowa backed off to try and cover, but you know what? They couldn't cover at all. QB beat the Iowa DBs like a rented mule all night. Besides the 3 TDs he was behind them 3 other times and Sam missed him. If the Clones would have come out with 5 wideouts and attacked the Iowa secondary from the start it could have been a completely different game. I understand that this is not the offense that ISU has, but when you have a QB that can't run and a beat up OL, it gives you a fighting chance to win the game.

I said it 100 times, the moronic 30 yard pass to the sideline does not work unless there is at least some threat that you are actually going to throw the ball down field. Otherwise everyone is going to play everyone up to the LOS and just tackle. That bubble screen will work against a cushion, but why would anyone give a cushion to a team that never throws down the field?

This is a good point. I can't think of a better offense to run with an immobile quarterback and a bad offense line than a scheme without the possiblility of any extra protection on the QB. And the fact that Mess can't see this is more evidence that he needs to be fired!

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Spin it however you want people, I don't give a ****. This is one of the worst ISU teams in history on the field tonight. Iowa deserved every bit of this win they got because a bad team beat one of the worst teams in college football tonight. 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, sound familiar? It should, because that is the only thing this offense does well. 2 weeks to prepare and this is what we get?

And to those who say, "You go be an OC and tell me how it works out." **** it, give me a shot. I guarantee you I score more than 21 points against Tulsa. Give me a shot, can't get any worse. As I've said before, I'd love to get paid this much to be this bad at my job.

Completely agree. Our only pass down the middle of the field in the first 3 quarters went for 16 yards and a first down. Thank God we never did that again. Seriously, how do you not remember that worked and continue to run zone reads and WR screens?

When we scored our 2nd touchdown on that deep post I was actually ******. Richardson is actually fairly accurate throwing down the middle of the field and Bundrage was able to get behind the DB's at will. But still, when we weren't throwing the ball backwards for 2 yard losses, our only other throws downfield were fades that Richardson would throw 15 yards out of bounds.

I was half blacked out and could see we needed to run more deep posts and deep ins. Ditch the fades and the ******* screens and get the ball down the field!

Put me in Pollard.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
We don't really run a spread offense. You watch us and we are pretty much always in 2 RB sets. The bubble screen was actually pretty effective tonight. It was a solid, efficient play on first down and I'll bet our efficiency on that was higher than any other play (4+ yds and I know that's not saying much) The big issues then came after that.
Remember that 4th and 4 Horse**** screen was set up by an 8 yard bubble on first down and then 2 negative plays on 2nd and 3rd. Unfortunately its not the first time we've seen that out of ISU. That screen then had an early snap from our 3rd string Center and we were screwed from the get-go
Richardson missed guys in man to man coverage all night. He time and time again took too much time to throw because he was looking over to our 3WR on passing downs instead of the other side of the field where we had 1 on 1. That is jr high QB school right there.
I'm actually not going to place too much blame on the D for this one. I though they were much improved over 2 weeks ago. They were kept on the field way too much by our O and by late third quarter probably felt like they had nothing more to play for.
What really needs to end right now is the O ever snapping the ball before 5 ticks left on the play clock. There's no way we out score anyone with the mess that is our O so our best bet is to shorten the game up

proisu

Jan 11, 2008
nowhere

Sooo, he's open all night (I agree 100 percent) Sam misses him 3 times ( I think mannyyy more), and its coaches fault...I thought as a qb u r supposed to look at field and see who is open? I would love for it to be way more creative, but the guys rrrr open!!!our an needs to Stop takin the easy route, take the best route