Not only Messingham

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
3.5 solid quarters of WR screens and zone reads. 1/2 quarter of throwing the ball down the middle of the field. 2 different looking offenses. I hope we remember which one yielded more points.

I HATE THE SPREAD OFFENSE!

How can we go through 3 different coaching staffs in the last 8 years or so and still have the same playbook?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
It isn't only Messingham but I still think he should take the majority of the blame. We know that the guys at our skill positions are capable, as they showed it late in the game as well as in the past. Our offensive line isn't good, although I thought they played better than they did two weeks ago. OC just not putting his personnel in a position to be successful, IMO.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
The screen today on 4th and 1 was the final straw for me. We need to rethink our system. Bad.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
It's the coaches job to put our players in a possession to win and make plays, mess does neither for most of the game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It isn't only Messingham but I still think he should take the majority of the blame. We know that the guys at our skill positions are capable, as they showed it late in the game as well as in the past. Our offensive line isn't good, although I thought they played better than they did two weeks ago. OC just not putting his personnel in a position to be successful, IMO.

Sure he should. He's in charge.
I'm just not convinced there's much talent to coordinate, either. All of it looks bad.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Offensive scheme, recruiting and o and d line play need major overhauls.

Those can't be fixed over night unfortunately. Could take several years.

The problem started when Rhoads announced we were going to run the spread offense. The downfall is becoming apparent

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Seriously though, did soemone else playcall for the last quarter? We looked like a completely different team.

Reactions: Cyzmc

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Sure he should. He's in charge.
I'm just not convinced there's much talent to coordinate, either. All of it looks bad.

Even a decent play caller could make a huge difference, IMO. Hopefully we don't have to wait all season to find out if I'm right.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Some things that need to be done.

1. Need a big, downhill back, we can pound with. Dwayne Crutchfield type. Way way too many scholarships wasted on small backs Mess won't ever use anyway. Go find a big brusing back in JUCO and get him in here, I don't care who it is, go find him...now. This needs to be priority number 1.

2. Need to get healthy. O line is all beat up right now. SR is hurt.

3. Need better O linemen period, my hope is the young guys are better as juniors/seniors than this upperclassmen group is.

4. Get our skill guys the ball more. Bundrage and Wimberley need the ball more.

5. Do something with Mess. I am not sure what to do with him though, I don't have the answer. He should have never been hired, but now you have a big problem. I think it is pretty clear the players, and even some of the other coaches don't have a lot of confidence in the guy. This year is lost, do you let it go and hope to god he gets better? Because at this point you are basically playing for next year already. You know PR won't fire him now. PR really screwed the pooch with that hire, and he has a big mess on his hands now.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Offensive scheme, recruiting and o and d line play need major overhauls.

Those can't be fixed over night unfortunately. Could take several years.

The problem started when Rhoads announced we were going to run the spread offense. The downfall is becoming apparent

Yes, because nobody runs the spread successfully.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Seriously though, did soemone else playcall for the last quarter? We looked like a completely different team.

I'm pretty sure it was still Mess, although Iowa was kind of backed off on defense (just didn't want to give up a big play) and our offense was playing with a sense of urgency. Not saying we need to play with a two minute drill all game, but go for the big play more often.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
He's not good, but nothing on our offense is good.

What a systematic failure. I don't see any offensive signs for hope on this one.

So, poor coaching with poor players = our offense.

Agree, its not only on Mess. Its time for CPR to rethink what he is doing or this is going to be Danny Mac part deux. Meaning a guy who is way to loyal to coaches who don't get it done.