NFL: NFL wants to expand into Europe, good or bad?

rondembo2

Jan 26, 2009
With commisioner Goodell saying the NFL will be hosting regular season games in London indefinately, he also said that he wants to see NFL football expand into Europe....good or bad for football?

CubsnClones

Dec 18, 2008
West Des Moines
Bad...

Sorry if I sound greedy, but I think America needs to keep a sport that is specific to it's culture.

Europe gave us rugby, but then we perfected into the game that it is today.

Leave Football where it belongs.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Good. We can have Sunday early morning games in US on the networks. Kickoff at 8:00 in the morning. The London Lugnuts. The Amsterdam Amstels. The Munich Munchers. The Paris Parade. The Barcelona Brats. Sounds good.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Bad. The travel times alone are crazy (I know, I know, New York to London is not that much further than NY to LA, bah).

Unless it was popular enough in Europe that you could have one conference there and one here and only play the Super Bowl crossways. The travel otherwise is too much I think, not to mention the feasibility.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
Bad...

Sorry if I sound greedy, but I think America needs to keep a sport that is specific to it's culture.

Ditto.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
This would be way bad! We don't need more teams whether they are in Europe or North America! Look at the expansion did to the NBA, NHL and even MLB to some degree! Expansion thins the talent pool...

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
The occasional game is one thing, but having teams over there would be a joke. You would have to set up a european division for one, and judging by NFL europe, there isn't enough interest for that, but then what would happen if the european division played nfc or afc west teams? They would probably need to extend the season by at least 2 more weeks to include more bye weeks. They don't need to get too greedy, they have a nice thing going.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Bad...

I agree. I don't like the fact that they have been shoving soccer down our throats for years. I would imagine the majority of Europeans feel the same way about American football. Plus the whole travel time is a little crazy.
Realistically, they would need to take a couple of 777s and customize them so they are almost like a hotel so the players could sleep on an overnight flight.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Bad Idea. Do they honestly think that american football could compete with soccer, rugby, and cricket? Good luck if they try. NFL Europe sure was successful:jimlad:

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Are they talking about actual teams based in Europe, or just playing more games outside the US? I could see something working where every team has a sister city that hosts a "home game" every 8 years. That way, every team in a division gives up one home game every 8 years and also plays one away game outside the US.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
NFL Europe kinda-sorta worked in Germany, but that's because they had all the American military bases there. WLAF/NFL Europe didn't necessarily do as well in Barcelona, London, and Edinburgh...

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
I guess I really don't care either way. I'm sure it is a pain for the players but as long as the Bears don't move to London, I am fine with it. I know they sell out when the NFL comes to town but I doubt they would have the same passion for it that Americans have.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This would be way bad! We don't need more teams whether they are in Europe or North America! Look at the expansion did to the NBA, NHL and even MLB to some degree! Expansion thins the talent pool...

This would allow many more I-State players to go pro.

rondembo2

Jan 26, 2009
Bad Idea. Do they honestly think that american football could compete with soccer, rugby, and cricket? Good luck if they try. NFL Europe sure was successful:jimlad:
Yes, because its vastly cooler and more entertaining than those sports, which are all 19th century relics and not entertaining for todays high-paced, technologically driven age.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Didn't the NFL already try that ?

They had NFL Europe (also known by other names over the years), but that was basically just a development league that played during the regular NFL's offseason. Goodell wants to have actual teams that would be a part of the NFL, just located in Europe.

I don't find it very feasible. As someone else said, the argument has been made that travel from NY to Europe isn't that much farther than from NY to LA. But guess what? Not all of the teams would be traveling from NY. I just don't think it's feasible--at least not until someone invents a faster way of traveling over there. I guess you could send the teams over in a bunch of fighter jets or something. :jimlad: