New Uniforms?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I have a question that I'm hoping someone "in the know" might be able to answer: why can't teams wear colored (non-white) uniforms on the road?

While you obviously don't want two teams wearing the same colors, I don't know why teams can't (or choose not to) wear a non-white uniform for away games. I can see why this might have been important when telecasts were in black and white or even a decade ago when people had smaller TVs with lower resolutions...but now that telecasts are in HD, every new TV sold in the last 5 years has been HD-ready, and over 60% of people own an HDTV (I'm guessing this number is higher for sports fans), I'm not sure why the requirement is still there.

I saw a USC/UCLA game once and both teams wore colored jerseys. I don't know if it was a mix-up or they got special approval, but you could easily tell which team was which on TV.

usc-ucla-2012-football-NFL2907.jpg

You can. Just needs to be agreed upon

See Velo's post earlier regarding uniform rules. Note rules 2a & 2b

Jersey Color and Design
ARTICLE 5. a. Players of opposing teams shall wear jerseys of contrasting
colors. Players on the same team shall wear jerseys of the same color and
design.
1. The visiting team shall wear white jerseys; however, the home team may
wear white jerseys if the teams have agreed in writing before the season.
2. If the home team wears colored jerseys, the visiting team may also
wear colored jerseys, if and only if the following conditions have been
satisfied:
a. The home team has agreed in writing prior to the game; and
b. The conference of the home team certifies that the jersey of the
visiting team is of a contrasting color.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
You can. Just needs to be agreed upon

See Velo's post earlier regarding uniform rules. Note rules 2a & 2b

Jersey Color and Design
ARTICLE 5. a. Players of opposing teams shall wear jerseys of contrasting
colors. Players on the same team shall wear jerseys of the same color and
design.
1. The visiting team shall wear white jerseys; however, the home team may
wear white jerseys if the teams have agreed in writing before the season.
2. If the home team wears colored jerseys, the visiting team may also
wear colored jerseys, if and only if the following conditions have been
satisfied:
a. The home team has agreed in writing prior to the game; and
b. The conference of the home team certifies that the jersey of the
visiting team is of a contrasting color.

I believe this specific game, between UCLA and USC, resulted in a penalty at the beginning of the game due to the jerseys, too. Maybe the loss of a time out? But the coaches agreed that if that penalty came to fruition, the other coach would spend a time out too, to keep it even.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Its happening more and more. I know UNI allowed South Dakota to wear red when they came to the Dome last year, fwiw.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Iowa State and Tulsa did the same in the 2012 Liberty Bowl.

20477633_BG1.jpg

Tulsa was supposed to be the "home" team, but first we traded sidelines and fan sections with them so that the ISU fans would be visible on TV. They agreed since they were going to bring like 1K fans compared to our huge number.

Then we asked if we could also wear red while they wore blue. I remember JP said that was part of "building our brand." I imagine our brand would have had more help with a win that day, but I digress.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
that Tulsa photo looks photoshopped, like the RB was pasted in.

But I do like color-on-color games

That website uni-blog has talked about the color vs color games. IIRC the color vs white rule was due to television. Back in the day it'd be impossible to tell the teams apart.

Now we all have HD

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I believe this specific game, between UCLA and USC, resulted in a penalty at the beginning of the game due to the jerseys, too. Maybe the loss of a time out? But the coaches agreed that if that penalty came to fruition, the other coach would spend a time out too, to keep it even.

It looks like Pac-10 (12) rule was changed in 2009 to accommodate USC-UCLA tradition (unless there was another change since then):

NCAA to change rule to accommodate tradition

My early memories of the series always had them both in home jerseys for that game, in the '70s. ... seems like they went away from it at some point, can't recall when.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Another question: why do football teams usually wear colored uniforms at home, but basketball teams wear white at home?

EDIT: I Googled it, and here's the interesting history I found...

"Early baseball teams had a hard time finding good laundry facilities while traveling, so they started wearing gray on the road, because it hid the dirt better.

Early football teams often had only one jersey, usually colored. Some teams also had a white jersey for use on the road, but this was generally worn only if the two teams in a game had similar color schemes (which is pretty much how it currently works in European soccer). When games started to be televised, road whites became more important, because many colors looked the same on black-and-white TV. So the TV era also marked the start of the two-jersey era. But keep in mind that under current NFL rules, football teams don't truly have "home" and "road" uniforms -- they simply have white and color, and the home team gets its choice of which one to wear. Although most teams choose to wear color at home, there are several, like the Cowboys and Redskins, that prefer to wear white at home.

Even the people at the NBA office are unsure of why basketball became a white-at-home sport, although factors like laundry access and black-and-white TV probably had something to do with it. Keep in mind, though, that several pro teams have worn colors at home, including the Lakers, who continue to do so. Others have included the Warriors (yellow), Sonics (yellow), Bullets (orange), Cavs (yellow), and Spurs (silver, when they were in the ABA)."

Last edited:

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Iowa State and Tulsa did the same in the 2012 Liberty Bowl.

20477633_BG1.jpg

Tulsa was supposed to be the "home" team, but first we traded sidelines and fan sections with them so that the ISU fans would be visible on TV. They agreed since they were going to bring like 1K fans compared to our huge number.

Then we asked if we could also wear red while they wore blue. I remember JP said that was part of "building our brand." I imagine our brand would have had more help with a win that day, but I digress.

And then they kicked our ***. Brutal.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
That was my issue when the rebrand happened. The inital mock ups showed a dark gold (sort of like the throwback pants ISU wore this past season). That is what I was hoping ISU would go with, but then they rolled out the yellow pants and that dream died.

Evidently several analysts thuoght that ISU was USC as well.

I have never understood how the gold became yellow. Was it a Nike decision that we had no choice in, or was it ISU's decision?

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I've long liked the contrast of USC-UCLA game with the home jerseys.

Purely out of curiosity, could anyone here photoshop an Iowa State-Iowa action photo with both teams in home jerseys?

Speaking of Iowa. I would like to see them come up with a black Nile Kinnick throwback jersey and then they wear that while we wear the cardinal Jack Trice throwbacks every year. I think we might be the only 2 BCS level schools with stadiums named after former players and it adds sort of a unique angle compared to other in state rivalries.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I have never understood how the gold became yellow. Was it a Nike decision that we had no choice in, or was it ISU's decision?

I doubt it had much to do with Nike.

ISU has been using roughly that shade of yellow as long as I've been around ISU starting in '89.

OMKHJULAFXCYXBT.20110603193324.jpg

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Speaking of Iowa. I would like to see them come up with a black Nile Kinnick throwback jersey and then they wear that while we wear the cardinal Jack Trice throwbacks every year. I think we might be the only 2 BCS level schools with stadiums named after former players and it adds sort of a unique angle compared to other in state rivalries.

I think that's a great idea.

images

EP-304249977.jpg&MaxW=650&MaxH=420

Although, the throwbacks we wore under Chizik, and the throwbacks Iowa wore a few years ago were sweet as well.

2007-Iowa-State-Throwback-Unis-675x380.jpg
2012-iowa-hawkeyes-nike-throwback-uniform-675x380.jpg

It'd be nice if they did some sort of promotional thing - pick a meaningful historic season (for the home team) and the teams wear throwbacks for that year. Then do some sort of sale for a charitable purpose.

Last edited:

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field

the colors View attachment 27586 changed when Johnny Majors came in the late 1960's. ISU went from its long-time gold pants and helmets to a sunflower color of yellow that was more in touch with the generation. The look was a sunflower helmet and white pants with a cardinal or white jersey sporting TV numbers on the shoulder.

When Coach Bruce came, the colors remained the same but the sunflower helmet now was complimented with same color pants. Jersey was white or cardinal red with no striping and TV numbers on the sleeve. In 1978- Bruce did introduce varsity striping to the jersey.

Coach Duncan kept the sunflower pants but went with red helmets. He went through various helmet decals and jersey styles in his time here.

When Coach Criner came in 1983- he and new Equipment Mgr. Roger Gade went to a Green Bay Packer yellow with a brighter red. The uniform combo was similar to the Johnny Majors era in the yellow helmet (unless you were a stud, then you wore a red helmet shell) and white pants. Occasionally, Criner's teams wore red pants on the road.

You know the rest of the story by now- I still would like to go back to that traditional gold pant and helmet and build alternate looks off of that. Even look for a Johnny Majors era home jersey colored to match the traditional gold look and then the varsity stripe on the white jersey similar to what we have now. View attachment 27586

Last edited:

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
HOQKZZXEGGXBKFW.20110524132823.jpg
IAXISU6161%20(2).JPG

Clay Stapleton's Dirty 30 wore I-State colors, sort of the old FSU look: gold pots, cardinal jerseys, gold pants, and one humdinger of a football team it was back in the day runnin' that single wing attack with All-Americans Dwight Nichols followed by Dave Hoppmann. Kicked some Sooner *** too.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=605253

This is my favorite look and is the style that the 49ers saw and built their look off of. It was simple and could be enhanced but the cardinal red and the gold really pop!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron