New Uniforms?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
This is my favorite look and is the style that the 49ers saw and built their look off of. It was simple and could be enhanced but the cardinal red and the gold really pop!

I have always hoped they would go back to those colors, but don't think it will ever happen. I think it was the best look they ever had, next was those worn in the Bruce era.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
IAXISU6767%20(1).JPG

I don't recall the logo Cardinal from following the Dirty Thirty by way of the DM Register's Big Peach section. Not sure they even have that anymore, the peach. But the photo qualities back then left a lot to the imagination, as I was a youngster. I can say that today that uniform, updated of course, would be unique and strong.

2801605_orig.jpg

Last edited:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I have always hoped they would go back to those colors, but don't think it will ever happen. I think it was the best look they ever had, next was those worn in the Bruce era.

I agree and even if we don't go back to our old 49er gold, it would be nice to get back to the Earl Bruce gold, which is a lot closer to our school colors than the mustard yellow like Iowa and USC.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
The throwback uniforms could become iconic similar to the Michigan helmets if Iowa State would stay with them. The key is to stay with them and not constantly change.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The throwback uniforms could become iconic similar to the Michigan helmets if Iowa State would stay with them. The key is to stay with them and not constantly change.

Yeah.... but JP and Rhoads love the uniforms we have now, you know, the ones that the rest of the country laughs at continually rank as one of the worst uniforms in the conference. They love the brand and tradition of them.... even though there is no brand or tradition there to speak of.

It's an absolute joke IMO. JP and Rhoads must be two of the most conservative guys around. And good luck ever getting some really sweet intro music in Jack Trice either. We will have Smoke On The Water for as long as Rhoads is here. Ugggghhhh. These kids going into college these days don't even know what Smoke On The Water is? That must really get them jacked up..... not. And I'm sure they're thrilled to wear the 2nd worst uniforms in the conference too, right?

Iowa State probably has the least tradition and brand recognition of anyone in the country. So why not embrace change and mix it up?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Yeah.... but JP and Rhoads love the uniforms we have now, you know, the ones that the rest of the country laughs at continually rank as one of the worst uniforms in the conference. They love the brand and tradition of them.... even though there is no brand or tradition there to speak of.

Iowa State probably has the least tradition and brand recognition of anyone in the country. So why not embrace change and mix it up?

This reasoning has more merit than "young people like cool uniforms". We rank low on uniform reviews, we are called out as USC wanna-bes (although I've never heard that from non-ISU media), and the local AND national Trice jersey reaction was off-the charts. Let's do something not only unique to appeal to the incoming students but also represent the ultimate Iowa State brand and tradition by making this design our normal uniform.

I'm not a football player but the player's reactions while suiting up in the throwbacks was amazing. Although none of them knew Trice and most of them don't know the state of Iowa or ISU history all that well it was clear those jerseys meant something.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This reasoning has more merit than "young people like cool uniforms". We rank low on uniform reviews, we are called out as USC wanna-bes (although I've never heard that from non-ISU media), and the local AND national Trice jersey reaction was off-the charts. Let's do something not only unique to appeal to the incoming students but also represent the ultimate Iowa State brand and tradition by making this design our normal uniform.

I'm not a football player but the player's reactions while suiting up in the throwbacks was amazing. Although none of them knew Trice and most of them don't know the state of Iowa or ISU history all that well it was clear those jerseys meant something.

Completely agree with you. In fact, I agree with Rhoads that I don't like it when I turn on the TV and Northwestern is wearing red, white, and blue U.S. flag uniforms. That is just stupid IMO. Or wearing camouflage. That is dumb too IMO.

And it's ironic, because if JP really wants to go with tradition, we would be true cardinal and GOLD (not yellow). The Jack Trice throwbacks are MUCH closer to the traditions of Iowa State than the colors we have now. A few years back we were smart enough to change our ketchup red color to the true cardinal and it made a huge difference. Now we need to take the next step and change the mustard yellow to true gold.

So if JP wants to truly live by his word and go with tradition... then he would make that logical switch IMO.