New Uniforms?

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I am anticipating the jerseys will look exactly the same next year, but they'll have the new Nike materials and the collar that the "premiere" schools have had a couple years now along with the NFL teams.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
That was my issue when the rebrand happened. The inital mock ups showed a dark gold (sort of like the throwback pants ISU wore this past season). That is what I was hoping ISU would go with, but then they rolled out the yellow pants and that dream died.

Evidently several analysts thuoght that ISU was USC as well.

anyone that doesn't think our uniforms look like USC knock offs is blind. Any neutral college football fan will tell you ISU and USC look VERY much alike. And on the shade of gold, yep they really messed that up and gave us yellow. The important thing is what do recruits think of our uniforms? Based on the uniform craze going on all over the country that we are not a part of, I would say we are behind in that department. What about young impressionable fans? I'm a college football traditionalist and would love for us to have tradition with our uniforms, but the current land scape in college football doesn't call for that, especially for a school that is not Penn State, UCS or Texas ect... Even those type of schools are getting in on the action. For example, OU has 4 different UNi's they are rolling out this year. If a traditional school like OU can do it, why can't we? We need to get in the game!!!!

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
lucky you're not a fan of these.

1388300129000-USATSI-7639146.jpg

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's finally time for the Walden era throwbacks.

The people want bright and colorful uniforms? Doesn't get any brighter than that gear. The current students weren't even alive when they were last used!

Let's do this!

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Unbiased comments. The I-State logo is strong. And these unies are nails. I much prefer the yellow pot, followed by the white edition. The gray is brutal.

BlW6TVqCQAAgplO.jpg:large

Agree here. I always get comments from my Big 12 colleagues at work, or any random Big 12er I run into down here in KC: The I-State logo is great, very traditional looking and is Iowa State's most recognizable logo ever.

Changing to anything else would not be wise. These jersey's would be boss as well. (Honestly, I love our current unis, but I would rather have a yellow helmet with 2 cardinal stripes down the center, or if we have to use the cardinal helmet, just put 2 yellow stripes down the center.... that's it.)

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Put that yellow pot on those other two unies (throw the grays out) and it would look awesome. WVU wore their whites with yellow pots for their game at MHK - they looked classy.

g3203200000000000008686894473c5655cf031646e893780927abb6ff4.jpg

Last edited:

CyPack

Apr 19, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah I really don't see the similarity :jimlad:

The issue is since we have basically the same school colors, there will always be some similarity to USC, regardless of whatever tweaks Rhoads may make. He stated himself that our colors are cardinal and gold and that's what our uniforms will be. So aside from a minor change here or there we'll always look similar to USC. Its not like we're the only school with the same colors and similar uniform to another school. Look at Nebraska and Wisconsin, pretty similar.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
The issue is since we have basically the same school colors, there will always be some similarity to USC, regardless of whatever tweaks Rhoads may make. He stated himself that our colors are cardinal and gold and that's what our uniforms will be. So aside from a minor change here or there we'll always look similar to USC. Its not like we're the only school with the same colors and similar uniform to another school. Look at Nebraska and Wisconsin, pretty similar.

These look nothing like USC. Make it happen.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I just miss the cleanest look that we've ever had, and inexplicably went away from:

ut-0002.jpg

The red helmet/white jersey/red pants were fantastic. For some foolish reason, we moved on to white pants with our road uniforms.

I would have been happy if ISU had pulled an LSU/Dallas Cowboys and declared that combo to be the default home uniform as well.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I just miss the cleanest look that we've ever had, and inexplicably went away from:

ut-0002.jpg

The red helmet/white jersey/red pants were fantastic. For some foolish reason, we moved on to white pants with our road uniforms.

I would have been happy if ISU had pulled an LSU/Dallas Cowboys and declared that combo to be the default home uniform as well.

I agree. I loved those uniforms. I'm a Cowboys fan (though be it an embarrassed one of late) so I'm very biased on this subject.

MSP

Aug 22, 2012
I like this

This looks like small town highschool ball...no white if this is the look. The set someone created with the simple sleeve stripes is as best I've seen on this site . Just hope we don't get caught up in the grey and or more matte finishes and move far away from the jack trice throwbacks...too boring for everyday, other than the actual muted colors.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

ut-0002.jpg

Unfortunately, I can only like this post once.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
These look nothing like USC. Make it happen.

Yeah, is this so hard? Totally unique, but not crazy. Keeps the logo and brand, loses the USC comparisons. I don't even care if they skip the grey.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yeah, is this so hard? Totally unique, but not crazy. Keeps the logo and brand, loses the USC comparisons. I don't even care if they skip the grey.

It's a good middle-ground. You're correct that it sets it apart just enough from the USC comparison, keeps the new identity/branding, and isn't some offshoot atrocity "just because it's possible."

As I posted earlier in the thread, the cardinal jersey sleeve needs white vert stripes to form the "I" around the shoulder numerals, to stay consistent with the design.

Add double stripes to the helmet (as I continue to say, along with others)

The basic set allows for 64 combos. Drop the gray entirely. Even having 3 helmets is going to add mega-bucks, why waste more on a color that adds nothing to the school palette.

So we'd be down to, what, 48? More than enough variety. Even within that, I think only about 8 are necessary ... I'm sure we'd argue about which 8.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

ut-0002.jpg

Yes!

If there's no chance for gold helmets/gold pants on the road, I'd be fine with THIS and an all-white helmet-jersey-pants with the cardinal/gold stripes (for those who prefer the all-white look — although cardinal-white-cardinal is much better).

Go all the way, both ways.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I have a question that I'm hoping someone "in the know" might be able to answer: why can't teams wear colored (non-white) uniforms on the road?

While you obviously don't want two teams wearing the same colors, I don't know why teams can't (or choose not to) wear a non-white uniform for away games. I can see why this might have been important when telecasts were in black and white or even a decade ago when people had smaller TVs with lower resolutions...but now that telecasts are in HD, every new TV sold in the last 5 years has been HD-ready, and over 60% of people own an HDTV (I'm guessing this number is higher for sports fans), I'm not sure why the requirement is still there.

I saw a USC/UCLA game once and both teams wore colored jerseys. I don't know if it was a mix-up or they got special approval, but you could easily tell which team was which on TV.

usc-ucla-2012-football-NFL2907.jpg