NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
What would be the reason for no shotgun?
I think they should've put no spread. Shot gun is still a viable formation and has both benefits and draw backs from taking the ball under the center.

Spread is just a cheap scheme that allows you to take advantage of college athletes who are not as fast as those in the pros, and ran out of the shotgun. Hence why Chip isn't as successful in the pros.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
That payroll just for players would be $10 million. Once you add in coaches, insurance, and all that it is probably double or triple for league costs. They aren't gonna sell many tickets so unless the NFL subsidizes it I don't see where they're gonna get $20-$30 million a year to cover expenses. And I'm probably vastly underestimating the number - it likely would be more like $50 million plus once everything is added in.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
I could see this working if they had regional teams (kinda like the original 6 NHL teams) and formed a union. They could treat it as a 4 year apprenticeship to the NFL where they are getting paid a scale wage with the option of taking community college classes if they choose. The league would be self-sustainable from player dues and from the NFL purchasing the rites from teams for there players.

From watching "Last Chance University" on Netflix, it seemed like a lot of the athletes that had pro potential but wern't working out as college students would thrive in this league and better be prepared for the real world if they athletics didn't work out.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
So you'd need to convince 200 good high school prospects that this league would gain them better exposure than going to college? I don't see it.

If the kid is good enough to get a scholarship offer, he'd be crazy not to take it. The exposure of the college game is exponentially better than what the kid would get in a four team regional league. Sure, they might be able to get a few talented, but academically challenged, kids to start this league, but the talent level is going to get watered down quick. Most scouts would treat this league with the legitimacy of an And-1 mixtape for basketball. One guy may shine, but when you realize he's doing it against inferior competition...

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think they should've put no spread. Shot gun is still a viable formation and has both benefits and draw backs from taking the ball under the center.

Spread is just a cheap scheme that allows you to take advantage of college athletes who are not as fast as those in the pros, and ran out of the shotgun. Hence why Chip isn't as successful in the pros.
That's kind of a blanket statement. Spread is totally viable in the pros. There are lots of variants of the spread offense, many of which are practiced in the pros, successfully. Teams just don't run it exclusively like some teams do in college.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
So you'd need to convince 200 good high school prospects that this league would gain them better exposure than going to college? I don't see it.

If the kid is good enough to get a scholarship offer, he'd be crazy not to take it. The exposure of the college game is exponentially better than what the kid would get in a four team regional league. Sure, they might be able to get a few talented, but academically challenged, kids to start this league, but the talent level is going to get watered down quick. Most scouts would treat this league with the legitimacy of an And-1 mixtape for basketball. One guy may shine, but when you realize he's doing it against inferior competition...

Yep, there's no way they convince that many good players to forgo their scholarships for a chance that this league COULD work out. Academically challenged kids would be better off trying to make it work at a JuCo. There are actually some success stories from that route.

And-1 was moderately successful because they only had to worry about a handful of players, not full football rosters for multiple teams.

This minor league is just a bad business decision.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
$50,000 salary and a community college education. Isn't that called the SEC?

But if they did this in the spring or summer I could definitely see this working. Maybe have the season go until right before preseason NFL. And if it's successful, it'll be gobbled up by the NFL shortly thereafter. Maybe they could use this to eliminate two weeks of the preseason.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i'm confused as to why most of you think it's a bad idea when a ESPN VP, mike shanahan, and other top ex-NFL coaches think it can work. what do you know that they don't?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
$50,000 salary and a community college education. Isn't that called the SEC?

But if they did this in the spring or summer I could definitely see this working. Maybe have the season go until right before preseason NFL. And if it's successful, it'll be gobbled up by the NFL shortly thereafter. Maybe they could use this to eliminate two weeks of the preseason.

they are playing in the summer before college and nfl starts

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Especially since this "minor league" will probably not last the 3 years that 5 star has to wait until he can go to the NFL.

Then that kid is ineligible to play at any college because he took money and he has to hope he can get a shot at being drafted after not playing for a while.

There's absolutely no guarantee that this league lasts more than a season. A 5 star kid would be stupid to put his future at risk just to avoid going to a real college.

And has no education to show for it.

• Agree

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The D league is going towards a model where every franchise has their own affiliate. They are pretty close to this now with 22 teams. The league itself isn't necessarily popular, but it gives the franchise's good tape of guys to call up for 10 day contracts, trains potential assistant coaches, etc.

You can't really compare the NBA and NFL in this aspect. It's so much more than practice and games for future NFL players. Not that that's all there is to future NBA players but the training isn't near the same amount.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
And has no education to show for it.

Yeah, this, from an economics standpoint, is an awful deal for most kids. Bust up your knee and disappear? Go pay for more education if you want it. I don't think people realize the insurance aspect of D1 football. I don't think they realize that not very many kids lose a scholarship due to injury. That's why medical scholarships exist. If a kid takes this option, they have no way back.

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
XFL at least had some flash and tried to build a buzz. In the end it just wasn't very good football.

I remember it felt like every televised game by the end was in Vegas, and it looked like anyone attending was basically being forced to sit toward the middle of the field so the camera shots could show a 'large' crowd.

Weren't ratings and interest down this year for the NFL?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
xflhateme-e1442542430385-300x228.jpg

Indiana's players all had 'Courage' on the back of their jerseys last night.

Just saw that they lost.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah, this, from an economics standpoint, is an awful deal for most kids. Bust up your knee and disappear? Go pay for more education if you want it. I don't think people realize the insurance aspect of D1 football. I don't think they realize that not very many kids lose a scholarship due to injury. That's why medical scholarships exist. If a kid takes this option, they have no way back.

Just think about what happens to the league when the first player gets a major concussion or a career ending knee injury and never plays again. College football is dealing with that now, but they have the backing of so many NCAA member institutions. This league would get sued in no time.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

The article says it includes workmans comp and insurance. There aren't details about what all it entails, but they clearly are addressing that concern.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't understand what "problem" they are trying to solve? Is there a lot of kids that are outstanding athletes that can't endure the rigors of underwater basket weaving at a football school like Bama?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The article says it includes workmans comp and insurance. There aren't details about what all it entails, but they clearly are addressing that concern.

I highly doubt there will be enough insurance there to cover all medical expenses and a four year degree.

• Agree

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't understand what "problem" they are trying to solve? Is there a lot of kids that are outstanding athletes that can't endure the rigors of underwater basket weaving at a football school like Bama?

People think a four year education with all expenses paid isn't good enough and that the system is taking advantage of the players.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron