New Mattress Shopping

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Bumping an old thread. Looking at maybe doing one of these bed-in-a-box mattresses. I see brands out there like Tuft N' Needle, Zinus, even Amazon has their own brand ($350 for a king size!)

Any recommendations?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Bumping an old thread. Looking at maybe doing one of these bed-in-a-box mattresses. I see brands out there like Tuft N' Needle, Zinus, even Amazon has their own brand ($350 for a king size!)

Any recommendations?

I have a DreamCloud Mattress (same company as Nectar makes it), it's a bed in a box. Here's the web site. Love it.

A little more expensive, but totally worth it!

Lots of YouTube videos, try to find one from someone who actually slept on one for like a sleep trial.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Take a look at Lebeda. Made right here in Iowa and they are quality mattresses that hold up over time. You can save quite a bit if you happen to buy during a sale or catch them when they are changing the fabric on a line. I think we go something like 20% off a queen model this spring because the fabric color was changing so they were trying to clear out the remaining inventory. I could care less what color the mattress looks like because it's going to be covered up by sheets but apparently if the color on the floor model doesn't match what they deliver its a problem?

We price shopped over multiple brands and stores and Lebeda was priced just right and seemed more well made than some of the major national brands you'll find elsewhere.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

Any recommendations?

Ditto...

I'd particularly like to hear reviews on the Amazon foam mattresses. My parents need one for a spare bedroom (that I would use when I visit) and would only be used a handful of times per year. Tuft-and-needle sounds really good, but if I can save them a few hundred dollars and still get a decent night's rest when I visit, that would be ideal.

Thanks!

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Ditto...

I'd particularly like to hear reviews on the Amazon foam mattresses. My parents need one for a spare bedroom (that I would use when I visit) and would only be used a handful of times per year. Tuft-and-needle sounds really good, but if I can save them a few hundred dollars and still get a decent night's rest when I visit, that would be ideal.

Thanks!

This issue with "Amazon Specials" is durability, not initial quality. So, if it's for a spare room and only being used a few times per year, an Amazon special will be just fine! $400-500 seems to be a sweet spot for a queen mattress on Amazon that is good enough without being "too good." Hope that makes sense. Lucid is a good brand for that kind of thing. Search for some reviews on Youtube.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This issue with "Amazon Specials" is durability, not initial quality. So, if it's for a spare room and only being used a few times per year, an Amazon special will be just fine! $400-500 seems to be a sweet spot for a queen mattress on Amazon that is good enough without being "too good." Hope that makes sense. Lucid is a good brand for that kind of thing. Search for some reviews on Youtube.

I think quality can come into play as well. How well the mattress breathes (a cheap foam mattress can sleep hot), how much edge support the mattress has, etc.

https://sleepsherpa.com/mattress-reviews/

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
We ordered the Avocado based upon the Consumer Report review. It’s a latex hybrid with coils.

The base mattress, w/o the attached pillow top, was on the firm side. Ordered their plush topper. The addition of the topper hits the sweet spot for firmness with some plushness for pressure points.

SDCyclonesFamily

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 21, 2016
We bought the 13" Zinus Night Therapy Gel Infused foam mattress from Sam's Club 2 years ago. We have been very happy with it and no signs of the foam degrading. My husband is 6'2" and in the 225 lb range - Mattress is firm enough to support but soft enough that we sleep very comfortably. Would purchase again.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Time to get my boys a bed, probably looking at queen. Is it worth going Mint for Tuft and Needle? Here are some prices (showing sale price) if anyone is interested. May is supposed to be the best prices but I'm not sure if it matters for these online mattresses.

TWINXL FULL QUEEN KING
TUFT AND NEEDLE
Original 355.5 445.5 535.5 675 --- 10% Sale (4/13)
Mint 580.5 760.5 895.5 1030.5 --- 10% Sale (4/13)
PURPLE
749 949 1099 1399
NECTAR
569 699 799 999 ---- Protector, Sheets, 2 Pillows
GHOSTBED
558.75 746.25 821.25 881.25 --- 25% Off
DREAMCLOUD
799 999 1099 1299 --- $200 Off
PUFFY
525 695 850 1050 --- $300 + Pillow

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
We got a King from nest bedding last summer. We love it. A lit bit pricey, but we’ve slept so much better than our old mattress. Another advantage of it is that it comes compressed in a box (similar to a lot of online mattresses) so we could get it to the second level of our house. Not sure how we’ll get it down, but that’s a discussion for 10 years down the road.

https://www.nestbedding.com/collect...ignature-select-mattress?variant=541053583377

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
Anyone have suggestions for a mattress for bigger people?

Our last few coil mattresses seem to develop "soft" spots that I think are broken coils that then make the mattress uncomfortable.

Javinegli

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Bought a Tuft & Needle in the summer. LIked it but didn't love it. A friend had a Cal. King Brooklyn Aurora that he had to "donate" to a friend. He got a full refund and I scored a free bed. Much better than the Tuft & Needle, yet a higher price-point. Extremely cool bed, even to the touch.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
My wife and I LOVE our 8 month old Nectar. We are both side sleepers and it's rated very highly for that. My parents

Bed does sleep a little warmer than our old pillow top but I'm warm in every bed on planet earth. Mrs. Cyfan92 loves that it sleeps a tad warmer than our prior pillow top bed and wears less clothes to bed (big positive, may be why our first is due in July)

Reactions: wxman1

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Any seasoned T&N or Purple owners have any thoughts or different opinions after years of ownership?

We have had an iSeries for around 10 years and it has been good, but I don't know if it was as good as what we actually spent on it. The biggest problem with the iSeries is that it has never felt as good as it did the first time we were on it.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Any seasoned T&N or Purple owners have any thoughts or different opinions after years of ownership?

We have had an iSeries for around 10 years and it has been good, but I don't know if it was as good as what we actually spent on it. The biggest problem with the iSeries is that it has never felt as good as it did the first time we were on it.

You never forget that feeling of your first time.

But getting back to mattresses, all foam mattresses will degrade over time. It's the nature of foam elastomers. They take a set, can't avoid it. We went to the cheaper route and got a signature sleep matress from Amazon. It was great at first, but after 4 years it's time to replace it. But at $350, it's easier to justify replacing more often than some of the big name options.

• Informative
Reactions: Macloney

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron