Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Free delivery of wings?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
As someone who has stayed in Ames during the week for work at least a hundred times I can tell you that it is all about the actual hotels. The Hampton and Garden Inn are always busy and often sold out. The Gateway was my last choice and it is also always steady.

I can't speak the other crappy hotels, because if I couldn't stay at one of the 3 mentioned above, I would stay in Ankeny or Des Moines.

A nice hotel will do fine.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Again, those are right next to 35. There is one hotel on S. 16th that is not in a terrible location. This new hotel is in a more appealing location.
The location is good but we don't need more hotels, plain and simple.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Yes the hotels by perfect games get a lot of traffic because of being right next to the All iowa attack gym. I drive on SE 16th street almost everyday and those hotels are always dead.

There is much more going on in Ames than you think and hotels are busier than your eye test. What time do you generally drive by these hotels?

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone87

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
As someone who has stayed in Ames during the week for work at least a hundred times I can tell you that it is all about the actual hotels. The Hampton and Garden Inn are always busy and often sold out. The Gateway was my last choice and it is also always steady.

I can't speak the other crappy hotels, because if I couldn't stay at one of the 3 mentioned above, I would stay in Ankeny or Des Moines.

A nice hotel will do fine.

Same. The reason the hotel on the west side of town gets the traffic it does is because it's a Hilton property IMO. That's why my friends and I choose that location anyway. As someone who travels a bit for work, it's the small things that can make a difference. I often am willing to pay extra for a Hilton/Marriott vs the smaller discount chains.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Did anybody else get excited about the announcement of a "Marriott" hotel being built? Only to read on and be disappointed that it was only a "Courtyard by Marriott"?

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We had a helluva time getting a block of rooms in Ames for our wedding. It was a football weekend, but this was months out.

Seems like a decent idea to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Hotels and restaurants are risky propositions. The Sports Page lasted less than a year. But, this hotel is going to be the closest one to JTS...an easy walk. And probably the closest to campus as well. You would think that the investment group has done its research on booking rates in the area.

I do think that it may be time to revisit the Scheman remodeling. Getting bigger conferences in Ames will help the whole city. They need to expand into that open area south of Scheman with a big open space. The bigger Career Fairs have outgrown Hilton.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Sorry but a hotel is the last thing Ames needs. The hotels on SE 16th street and E 13th street are always empty.
I was in the weekend of the Iowa Games Netfest last month. The same weekend of the All-State music and chorus festival. The town was packed.

The Iowa games pack the town in the summer on a couple of weekends.

Hotel owners do alright.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Let's count together:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
View attachment 52405
Those are all **** holes, except for maybe the Country Inn. Ames has to have some of the dumpiest hotels of any college town.

I know this won't be popular, but Ames is behind Iowa City & Cedar Falls for college towns in Iowa. I would even venture to say Decorah might be better. Glad to see SW investing in the community.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Freebird

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Those are all **** holes, except for maybe the Country Inn. Ames has to have some of the dumpiest hotels of any college town.

I know this won't be popular, but Ames is behind Iowa City & Cedar Falls for college towns in Iowa. I would even venture to say Decorah might be better. Glad to see SW investing in the community.
eh, Campus town is pretty nice and there's still a lot of new construction. As for the east side of Ames, I couldn't agree more.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Some people are very loyal to a chain and want to either earn points or use them. For those that chose Marriott, your choices are a Fairfield Inn and a TownePlace Suites (both off Dayton). I would consider a Courtyard to be above those choices. So this makes a lot of sense from that standpoint.