New building in West Ames??

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Interesting. I'd like to see them come back. West Ames near Mortsensen/South Dakota is a great place for a restaurant (fast food) business. You have a ton of college kids and other people in the area, plus traffic from HWY 30.

I think it is a great location, especially with the Hilton out there as well. Would like to see it develop similar to S. Duff near 30.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Interesting. I'd like to see them come back. West Ames near Mortsensen/South Dakota is a great place for a restaurant (fast food) business. You have a ton of college kids and other people in the area, plus traffic from HWY 30.

I agree. Every time I go home I need to get a Hardees fix. Best fast food out there.

I'm surprised that the open lot where the BB Practice Facility now is has sat vacant for about 10 years now without and sort of college aged attractive building there such as Hardess.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I remember going to the Hardee's in the mall, that was when they still had the fixin's bar, that was a good idea.

Oh, and Souper Spud, that place was good too.

Reactions: Angie

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It will be interesting to see how that area develops. Right now, there are a ton of apartments...many with empty commercial space on the ground floor, two Kum&Go's within a mile of each other, two big BB training facilities and then West Towne Pub and Perfect Games. What makes sense in that open area? Do they go commercial and try to get a Burger King or Sonic? Or do they try to get some office space built? How about keeping with the recreation theme and building a big indoor soccer complex or Ames R&F? It would be cool if they put in some sort of entertainment complex with batting cages, go-carts, etc. .

Really, you'd think that this would be a nice commercial property. Right by Hwy 30, tons of people living close by.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
No more office space needed, there's already too much empty space on the first/ground floor of several of the buildings to the west (Cafe Milo is an exception.) Developers got tax break or something if they built all those buildings with office/business space on the bottom and apts up. Didn't have to provide as many parking spaces as for residential-only buildings either.

I'd love to see that area developed, but there needs to be adequate space for appropriate businesses. Fareway, anyone? :smile:

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
No more office space needed, there's already too much empty space on the first/ground floor of several of the buildings to the west (Cafe Milo is an exception.) Developers got tax break or something if they built all those buildings with office/business space on the bottom and apts up. Didn't have to provide as many parking spaces as for residential-only buildings either.

I'd love to see that area developed, but there needs to be adequate space for appropriate businesses. Fareway, anyone? :smile:

I would LOVE if they got a Fareway out there or maybe even a Dahl's since Fareways aren't open on Sunday's for some reason...

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008

fareway just built up north so i doubt that. just a hyvee drugstore or walgreens would be very nice.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I remember going to the Hardee's in the mall, that was when they still had the fixin's bar, that was a good idea.

Oh, and Souper Spud, that place was good too.

That was way back when the movie theater was over across from Maid-Rite (now Jimmy John's). Souper Spud was pretty good - their waffle fries were pretty awesome. My grandma would take us there.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It will be interesting to see how that area develops. Right now, there are a ton of apartments...many with empty commercial space on the ground floor, two Kum&Go's within a mile of each other, two big BB training facilities and then West Towne Pub and Perfect Games. What makes sense in that open area? Do they go commercial and try to get a Burger King or Sonic? Or do they try to get some office space built? How about keeping with the recreation theme and building a big indoor soccer complex or Ames R&F? It would be cool if they put in some sort of entertainment complex with batting cages, go-carts, etc. .

Really, you'd think that this would be a nice commercial property. Right by Hwy 30, tons of people living close by.

Originally it wasn't a Kum&Go at the corner of Mortensen & Dakota. Kum&Go bought out the business that was there. I think it was called Breaktime. I expected them to close the one at Lincolnway and Dakota but they kept them both open.

Ames R&F already has a gym in the area. I live in the area and really like having a vet clinic, WTP, Cafe Milo, and a dry cleaner all in the immediate area. Also happy to see Jimmy Johns coming in and will have to make it to George's Pizza again.

I would like to see a Walgreen's or CVS or equivalent open in the area as well as a Culvers or Sonic.

Somehow all those first-floor commercial areas that were built in the apartments were allowed to convert to efficiency apartments. If the builder didn't have to give back the tax credits that is BS. I am also disappointed that the city allowed that, assuming that they had a say.

I love living out here. We have so much close to us but still have a nice house on a quiet street.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Originally it wasn't a Kum&Go at the corner of Mortensen & Dakota. Kum&Go bought out the business that was there. I think it was called Breaktime. I expected them to close the one at Lincolnway and Dakota but they kept them both open.

Ames R&F already has a gym in the area. I live in the area and really like having a vet clinic, WTP, Cafe Milo, and a dry cleaner all in the immediate area. Also happy to see Jimmy Johns coming in and will have to make it to George's Pizza again.

I would like to see a Walgreen's or CVS or equivalent open in the area as well as a Culvers or Sonic.

Somehow all those first-floor commercial areas that were built in the apartments were allowed to convert to efficiency apartments. If the builder didn't have to give back the tax credits that is BS. I am also disappointed that the city allowed that, assuming that they had a say.

I love living out here. We have so much close to us but still have a nice house on a quiet street.

1. Short stay is commercial--ask any hotel owner.
2. Tax breaks in Ames? :biglaugh:

Cyclonus

Nov 22, 2009
Milwaukee
Is old george's pizza over there now? They have UNBELIEVABLE Calzones... buttery garlic crust... and terrific italian sausage, chese, and sauce

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Is old george's pizza over there now? They have UNBELIEVABLE Calzones... buttery garlic crust... and terrific italian sausage, chese, and sauce
Yes. Next to West Towne Pub

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron