New Baylor Stadium Renderings

SicEmBaylor

Oct 6, 2011
What happens when it floods?

Actually, this is a very good point. I've wondered that myself.

Just a few years ago, Waco had a pretty major flooding issue on the Brazos. There are a couple of restaurants that sit right on the riverbank that got flooded out (one of which had to be completely scrapped). It's definitely a concern. That area that it is situated on is also a bit swampy which may pose some engineering problems.

I love the included piers and the mini-stands to enjoy boat tailgating. I like the location despite the issues. But, I'm having a bit of trouble with the stadium design. It looks way too much like a European soccer stadium to me. I also can't stand the "BAYLOR" letters in front of the stadium. I'm assuming the statue on that side of the river is Grant Teaff.

HOWEVER, on the south side of the river, WTF are those damned stone henge looking things? That's horrible. Simply horrible.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Looks alright, but kind of tacky with the Baylor letters in front. Hmmm not sure I would build that stadium in a flood plane. I like the shading idea, but looks like a Euro soccer stadium, but maybe we are just not used to something like that in the states. Anywho congrats.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
HOWEVER, on the south side of the river, WTF are those damned stone henge looking things? That's horrible. Simply horrible.

I think they copied them from the High Trestle bridge in Madrid:
high+bridge2.jpg

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
This rendering appears very conceptual as its a watercolor.

Therefore:

1.) not everything is worked out. Watercolor is great for conceptual renderings as it gives an IDEA of what it will be like (to help gather donations, publicize the project, etc.) but keep things abstract as there are probably few things that are well worked out, finalized, or even known (Parking, signage, etc.) - which leads to...

2.) the artist has to "fake in" some things to create to an environment that "feels" nice, vibrant, inviting, etc. rather than "empty". In my professional experience, much of this image is created as a "vision" and is not final. If I had to guess, the BAYLOR sign, the gold "stonge henge" things, and its relationship to the river (I would guess it will be raised, perhaps w/ dikes around/ in front) are all just "guesses" and represent items that will inevitably populate the area.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
My favorite story about Teaff is one year they were playing mighty Texas and he sensed his team was very uptight in the locker room after being down 24-7 at halftime, I think. Then he ate a worm and the team relaxed and went out and won the game 34-27 or something like that.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Congrats to Baylor. That would be awesome to have the finances to build something like that.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I really like it and God knows we need it. Every Cyclone that has been to a game @ Baylor knows how crappy our stadium is right now.

Looks really cool, but I wonder if the roof is going to create bad shadows during day games, as well as wind problems from the open side.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hello to my fellow Big 12 brethren, here are some more drawings of the stadium so you can get a better feel for it.

I predict lots of drunken water-related incidents.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
I want nothing more than Iowa State and Baylor to become national powerhouse. I like Baylor's aggressive design. I highly doubt it will happen though. You take RGIII out and Baylor is back to their old self.