Nebraska’s schedule too difficult for Scott Frost

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I grew up in Omaha TV coverage in Western Iowa. This was when they were winning under Osborne. It was intolerable then, and somehow worse now.

I feel your pain. I’ve tried to explain what that was like to people here in Central Iowa. I can still hear Dave Weber or Ross Jernstrom being the lead story if it was anything Husker related. Sadly it hasn’t changed much, they just don’t win anymore.

Reactions: heitclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I live in Omaha. The pre-season literal sex is absurd. The media- starting with the AWFUL Omaha World Herald is so out of touch with the grand scope of things. Back when we sucked, regardless of a cyclone win or loss, a Nebraska loss would make my weekend. These days I’m thriving.

I feel your pain. I’ve tried to explain what that was like to people here in Central Iowa. I can still hear Dave Weber or Ross Jernstrom being the lead story if it was anything Husker related. Sadly it hasn’t changed much, they just don’t win anymore.

People that say we need to let the Husker thing go are those who haven’t had to deal with all that. Every day they lose will always be glorious

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That tradition pre-dates Osborn. Devaney kept Johnny Rogers in the program after he held up a gas station in 1970. It payed off when Rogers helped them to a couple of Natty’s and won the Heisman in ‘72
State of Nebraska. Two years probation for armed robbery because he was a star Husker football player. And, of course, the State of Nebraska pardoned Rogers six years ago despite him having further violations such as a drunken driving conviction and a felony firearms charge. So now he has his right to own and carry firearms restored. He characterized the armed robbery as "a prank".

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...er-johnny-rodgers-receives-pardon-1970-holdup

Of course that state worships kNU football as evidenced by Osborne's landslide of all landslide victories in the 2000 US House race where he won 82% of the vote.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
State of Nebraska. Two years probation for armed robbery because he was a star Husker football player. And, of course, the State of Nebraska pardoned Rogers six years ago despite him having further violations such as a drunken driving conviction and a felony firearms charge. So now he has his right to own and carry firearms restored. He characterized the armed robbery as "a prank".

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...er-johnny-rodgers-receives-pardon-1970-holdup

Of course that state worships kNU football as evidenced by Osborne's landslide of all landslide victories in the 2000 US House race where he won 82% of the vote.
Yeah, but Rogers also returned that punt for a TD against Oklahoma in ‘71, which was a Game of the Century, so it pretty much equals out.

And so what if Nebraska’s the kind of state where they see a good football coach and think, “Now that’s who we need to send to Washington”?

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
This morning, they have a former Husker on the radio, and he made the statement something like, "We cannot be looking up at Purdue." Meaning, as he explained it, we are so much better (overall, as a "program") than stinky old Purdue, it is just not imaginable that we could lose to them.

They just can't hear their own arrogance.

I would bet most ISU fans instead think like this: This year we have a better team than Okie State. But it is a fine line, and it we turn the ball over 3 times we may not win. But overall we are not superior to them and every time we play it will be a dogfight. We are competitive, not superior.

Most Nebraska fans think they are superior to almost all other programs, even after almost 20 years of so-so results. As I have said before, the blatant joy and satisfaction they expressed in 2010 that Iowa State was headed to the Mid American Conference is all you need to know to make you want to despise them. It was horribly disgusting.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Had a friend at ISU that was a Husker fan (now THAT was annoying). She repeatedly would say that ISU would never be as good a program as Nebraska. And she would seriously mean NEVER. I would argue that every program has cycles where there will be years where they are down, and there will be years where they are good. Some highs may be higher at some programs and lows may be lower at others, but there are always cycles. She would guarantee that Nebraska would never have a losing record and always be competing for national titles because, well, Nebraska. Even though she also cheered for ISU, ISU would never be as good. It was just not possible.

I'm enjoying these times now.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
This morning, they have a former Husker on the radio, and he made the statement something like, "We cannot be looking up at Purdue." Meaning, as he explained it, we are so much better (overall, as a "program") than stinky old Purdue, it is just not imaginable that we could lose to them.

They just can't hear their own arrogance.

I would bet most ISU fans instead think like this: This year we have a better team than Okie State. But it is a fine line, and it we turn the ball over 3 times we may not win. But overall we are not superior to them and every time we play it will be a dogfight. We are competitive, not superior.

Most Nebraska fans think they are superior to almost all other programs, even after almost 20 years of so-so results. As I have said before, the blatant joy and satisfaction they expressed in 2010 that Iowa State was headed to the Mid American Conference is all you need to know to make you want to despise them. It was horribly disgusting.
This. My biggest joy with ISU football these past 3-4 years is that we are competitive (and fun to watch) in every game. I absolutely love coming to games as the entertainment value, win or lose, is top notch. Yet, I also realize the realities of how fine a line we run each game.

Nebby fans, on the other hand, remains entitled and totally out of touch with how far they have fallen. They simply are another one of wider pool of division 1 football teams...a small fish in a big pond.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Don't forget Trev Alberts being hired as AD at UNO so that he could kill their football program, because it was competing with the Husker walk-on program.

While ending football at UNO in 2010 definitely was to the advantage of UNL as they moved to the B1G, the fact that Trev Alberts is still at UNO and in fact was promoted in 2014 to Vice Chancellor of Athletics would suggest that they do not view his actions as intentionally motivated to help his alma mater. I'm not defending him, just stating a fact.

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
While ending football at UNO in 2010 definitely was to the advantage of UNL as they moved to the B1G, the fact that Trev Alberts is still at UNO and in fact was promoted in 2014 to Vice Chancellor of Athletics would suggest that they do not view his actions as intentionally motivated to help his alma mater. I'm not defending him, just stating a fact.

I go to UNO, Trev walked past me on campus and said “big win for the clones” after we beat OU in Norman. I replied “sure would be nice if we had a football team here” without even realizing it was him. Not a big fan of his.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

That move was good for UNO. They got a nice new arena and can focus on being a hockey/bball school.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Beat SDSU with Jamie Pollard (and myself) in attendance last year, bro. Sam Ehlinger voice: We’re baaaaaack

And me :) I have gone to a game or two a year since they made the jump, the games are a pretty good time and they are typically competitive.

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
And me :) I have gone to a game or two a year since they made the jump, the games are a pretty good time and they are typically competitive.

Crossed off a bucket list item of storming the court as a student after doing it twice at JTS as obviously just a fan. We should’ve received a technical for it as we were on the court when there were still fractions of a second left on the clock.

Reactions: heitclone

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
If Nebraska continues to play this kind of football my no-nut November won’t last too much longer

• Informative
Reactions: madguy30

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron