Nebraska’s demise

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I already posted this in another thread that @Jeremy nixed (probably because you guys got out of control). It was my “most liked” post ever.

So I must repost about what may have been my best sports moment ever (and I’ve had some great ones). And I think it best fits in the “in-state rivals” forum because of the emotion involved with the Fuskers.

I watched the epic Cyclone TD drive from a tailgate in Lincoln. Then watched the rest of the game on my phone inside Memorial Stadium.

But more fun came a few hours later as my wife’s nephew, the quarterback for Georgia Southern, scored the winning touchdown against Nebraska. 8D3F41EA-B8CD-4ED5-A9AC-6E2D833292D4.jpeg DBDDE357-DE63-413D-8669-C995BCEBFEA6.jpeg And you know what he was talking about after the game? The fact that he had thrown 108 passes in two games at Memorial Stadium and never been sacked. He started for Buffalo last year. He couldn’t wait to take his offensive lineman out for a steak dinner.

Hail Southern!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Honestly Frost should take your nephew out for a steak dinner, he just increased his buyout from 7.5 million to 15 million. Guy basically just gave Frost a winning lottery ticket.
Yeah, it is absolutely nuts that they canned a guy for $15M when his buyout goes down to $7.5M in three weeks. It isn't like that team is going anywhere this season under any coach.

Nebraska has money but what they don't have is brains.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, it is absolutely nuts that they canned a guy for $15M when his buyout goes down to $7.5M in three weeks. It isn't like that team is going anywhere this season under any coach.

Had to be a donor/s that said here is the buyout money/difference.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

This might as well be a realignment thread because it’s pretty clear how Nebraska will be using its unlimited cash. They’re going to have a new coach every 18 months unless the P2 reforms without dead weight like them.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Imagine spending 7.5 million extra dollars on a season that is doomed anyway.

They make around $8m per game on ticket sales ($95 x 85,000). While most of those are already purchased, I've gotta imagine avoiding a half empty stadium for the next few weeks is worth spending some money.

• Informative
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
They make around $8m per game on ticket sales ($95 x 85,000). While most of those are already purchased, I've gotta imagine avoiding a half empty stadium for the next few weeks is worth spending some money.

I think Dan Patrick's take was probably most accurate - they were afraid that they would win some games between now and then and make it harder to justify firing him.

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
It just shows you how precious the contrived consecutive sell out streak is to them. Probably cheaper for Sid Dinsdale, et al to pay the extra $7.5M in buyout than pony up to buy the unsold tickets, to insure the streak stays alive.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I think that the reason they fired him now is that some boosters believe they still have chance at a bowl game if they make a change now.

The problem is that the coaching change isn't going to fix that defense.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and Cycsk

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think Dan Patrick's take was probably most accurate - they were afraid that they would win some games between now and then and make it harder to justify firing him.
But, technically there is only 1 game. They play next week have a bye and then play IN on Oct 1st. They could have fired him right before the game and saved $7.5 million.

Honestly, I think it would be funny as heck if the interim coach somehow got them to a bowl game.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
At first, I was thinking that might be the case. Now I think that it is the opposite. The internal pulse on the program is that they had yet to hit bottom. They were afraid of being completely embarrassed by OU. The resulting internal implosion in the program would risk losing the current as well as next year's recruiting classes. They are hoping that the team will rally around the change and at least be somewhat more competitive.

• Haha
Reactions: CyBobby

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron