MUST READ IF YOU"RE BUYING TICKETS IN CHICAGO

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
If you are planning on buying tickets in Chicago from a scalper or from someone on Craigslist beware. I bought four tickets in section 112 for both Friday and Sunday at face value. Turns out these are fake. These tickets are hard copy tickets and not the print at home kind. I have bought many tickets off Craigslist before and this passed all my checks for red flags. I live in Chicago and bought these this past weekend from a "Michigan State Fan" wanting wanting to sell for what he paid for them.

I texted the guy from a different number asking if the ad was still valid and he said yes. I figured I would post this in hope none of you also get screwed.

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
How did you find out they were fake?
The guy also had with him a receipt for the tickets from Ticketmaster. I called to make sure that there was no way the tickets could be reprinted and when I gave the order number it was invalid. I went to the United Center box office to have the tickets checked and they confirmed.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Sorry to hear that. We are looking for tickets as well, and was wondering what ways people were buying their tickets. I honestly think later this week they will be cheaper as that is what happened for the first round games in Des Moines. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

DutchViking

Feb 20, 2012
Pella
I went StubHub only because of their Buyer Protection Guarantee and hedged my bets and bought with 8 minutes left in Saturday's game as they hadn't gotten the ISU price bump yet.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If you are planning on buying tickets in Chicago from a scalper or from someone on Craigslist beware. I bought four tickets in section 112 for both Friday and Sunday at face value. Turns out these are fake. These tickets are hard copy tickets and not the print at home kind. I have bought many tickets off Craigslist before and this passed all my checks for red flags. I live in Chicago and bought these this past weekend from a "Michigan State Fan" wanting wanting to sell for what he paid for them.

I texted the guy from a different number asking if the ad was still valid and he said yes. I figured I would post this in hope none of you also get screwed.

Just curious- Is there any legal action you can take against this scalper?

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston

If they guy is answering texts for the ad still, I'd get the police involved and see if you can recoup your cash. If he got you, chances are he's suckered others and they aren't aware yet.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I'd be very surprised - I don't think scalping is entirely legal itself, is it?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Reselling the tickets is legal, it's the mark-up that's potentially illegal depending on the state. Either way, it's the seller who is potentially breaking the law. Pretty sure this is accurate.

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011

Assuming the police would be able to find and catch the guy, yes, there would be legal grounds I would have. But, I mean getting my money back would be slim to none. I did file a police report in since the guy is still selling tickets in hopes they will set up some type of sting and get him off the streets so others aren't in my position.

I'm sure they are going to be a lot of folks who don't realize this until they try to gain entry to the place. I personally bought the tickets and was planning on selling to friends to fellow Cyclone fans that came in to town at face. I would have sold to a UVA fan but not at face, so maybe this is karma.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
The point is that this guy wasn't scalping, so even if that's illegal in Iowa that's not what happened. This guy is passing fake tickets off as the real thing and defrauding people, which is illegal.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Depends on the state, and I think usually the laws just prohibit scalping or selling outside the venue itself. This guy knowingly sold counterfeit goods so I'm sure there is some legal recourse, it just might take time and effort to get the money back if you get it back at all.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA

I think there are a few states that have stipulations on "scalping" but it is far from illegal. Now most venues have their own resale sites including Iowa State, ticketmaster, the NCAA, etc. so they can get a piece of the action, as well.

ISU2

Jun 21, 2013
why not just ask him if he knows any of his "friends" selling a single ticket? If he is dumb he will probably say he can find another one to sell then u just inform the police

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
why not just ask him if he knows any of his "friends" selling a single ticket? If he is dumb he will probably say he can find another one to sell then u just inform the police

I actually texted him from a different number asking if the ad was still valid. He stated it was and gave me the same seating information that is printed on my tickets. So this is in the police report and I assume he will be selling tickets throughout the week. Come event time I am sure there are going to be a few people thinking they are going to be sitting in section 116 row 6. The kicker is these tickets may actually get resold by people who don't know they are fake as well.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Man, I'm so sorry for you. Hope they catch the guy and you get your money back at least.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If the scalper guy was smart he would be using the text free app (a different phone number than what is assigned to your phone) and then sign up for that app with a fake email address.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think the key thing to look out for here is the tickets should be colored and have the NCAA logo on them. The tickets we bought for Denver did and I assume the same would be of Chicago, etc. If they are the standard white TicketMaster tickets with some TicketMaster receipt - I'd be VERY concerned and no way I would personally buy them.

The only way I'd do that is if the seller met me at the United Center and the tickets could be validated before I bought them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron