Mt. Rushmore of ISU Athletics

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I know this has been discussed before on here; CW and Blum did an excellent Summer Series on this a few years ago, but given the current sports desert we're in, I thought it'd be a fun topic to resurrect.

My 4:

Dan McCarney: Resurrected ISU football and made us competitive agian. Returned to bowl games. Turned around the series with Iowa. Laid a foundation that made things easier for the coaches after him.

Johnny Orr: Similar to McCarney, turned around a dead program, took us back to the NCAAs, started a pattern of recruiting great players who would go on to the NBA. Started Hilton Magic, which ISU basketball is known for nationally. Like Dan, laid a foundation that made things easier for the coaches who followed.

Fred Hoiberg: Grew up in Ames, arguably the most popular player in ISU basketball history, came back as coach and turned around a dormant program, brought ISU hoops back into the national spotlight and recruited some beloved all time great Cyclones. Arguably the most consistent ISU basketball coach.

Bill Fennelly: Took over a program that had zero fan support, and made it a consistent NCAA participant, and built fan support that is equaled at very few other women's hoops programs around the country.

Had Troy Davis won the Heisman, he would have easily been my #4. I do remember Chris had Cael as his #4 and made a good argument for him.

Curious to see who else the rest of you guys have.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Chizik, Wayne Morgan, McDermott, Van de Velde.

Ok honestly I’d go with Hoiberg, Cael Sanderson, Troy Davis, and Johnny Orr.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You might as well put Brock’s mug up on the mountain. You know damn well it will need to be when it’s said and done.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Basketball players only: Grayer, Hoiberg, Niang, Fizer

Coaches/ADs only: Orr, Fennelly, Pollard, McCarney.

Football players only: Troy, Seneca, Lazard, Purdy??

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Chizik, Wayne Morgan, McDermott, Van de Velde.

Ok honestly I’d go with Hoiberg, Cael Sanderson, Troy Davis, and Johnny Orr.
I get Cael and wouldn’t rail against it but when it comes to these things I just can’t put him up there.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I know this has been discussed before on here; CW and Blum did an excellent Summer Series on this a few years ago, but given the current sports desert we're in, I thought it'd be a fun topic to resurrect.

My 4:

Dan McCarney: Resurrected ISU football and made us competitive agian. Returned to bowl games. Turned around the series with Iowa. Laid a foundation that made things easier for the coaches after him.

Johnny Orr: Similar to McCarney, turned around a dead program, took us back to the NCAAs, started a pattern of recruiting great players who would go on to the NBA. Started Hilton Magic, which ISU basketball is known for nationally. Like Dan, laid a foundation that made things easier for the coaches who followed.

Fred Hoiberg: Grew up in Ames, arguably the most popular player in ISU basketball history, came back as coach and turned around a dormant program, brought ISU hoops back into the national spotlight and recruited some beloved all time great Cyclones. Arguably the most consistent ISU basketball coach.

Bill Fennelly: Took over a program that had zero fan support, and made it a consistent NCAA participant, and built fan support that is equaled at very few other women's hoops programs around the country.

Had Troy Davis won the Heisman, he would have easily been my #4. I do remember Chris had Cael as his #4 and made a good argument for him.

Curious to see who else the rest of you guys have.
I genuinely feel like dr. Geoffrey was one of the best. Not sure if he gets a spot on the mountain...but he is up there.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I can’t keep him out when he was a perfect 159-0 for his career. Wasn’t he the first college athlete ever on the Wheaties box? Greatest college wrestler ever.
Yep great wrestler. Not discrediting that. But part of your cred as a “Great Cyclone” diminishes significantly when you leave like that.