"Circling Her Cheeks" Ginger Girl
Ridiculously Photogenic Blonde Cheerleader Girl
Curly-Haired Girl
hGw4Y6G.gif

giphy.gif

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Cale Sanderson, Fred Hoiberg, Johnny Orr, and either Jamie Pollard, Gary Thompson, Dan Gable, or Harold Nichols. I'm not a wrestling fan but I feel like people from the wrestling program are some of the most iconic figures in ISU sports history.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Cale Sanderson, Fred Hoiberg, Johnny Orr, and either Jamie Pollard, Gary Thompson, Dan Gable, or Harold Nichols. I'm not a wrestling fan but I feel like people from the wrestling program are some of the most iconic figures in ISU sports history.
Ya but I’m not a fan of sharing people on Mt Rushmores. You don’t see any of those presidents on Canada or Mexico’s monuments. The same should be for us. We don’t need to share our greats with other colleges. If they left. They left. We have people to replace them.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sanderson - GOAT of a college sport Iowans care about

Troy Davis - statistical argument as greatest ever to play his position at the time

Jack Trice

-------- basketball needs to be in and tough to pick between Fizer, Tinsley, Orr, Niang, Fred and Monte. Could be any of them but I'm actually going with Monte because he's the winningest player in ISU history, led the team two of those years, and is statistically at least a top three producer. Also just a great person and 100% Cyclone as opposed to coaches or players who weren't four year players, similar arguments for Niang obviously splitting hairs.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Johnny Orr
Gary Thompson
Johnny Majors (Campbell within 5 years)
Troy Davis

Putting Sanderson or Gable up would be like throwing Jefferson Davis on the original.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: CySmurf and STLISU

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Sanderson - GOAT of a college sport Iowans care about

Troy Davis - statistical argument as greatest ever to play his position at the time

Jack Trice

-------- basketball needs to be in and tough to pick between Fizer, Tinsley, Orr, Niang, Fred and Monte. Could be any of them but I'm actually going with Monte because he's the winningest player in ISU history, led the team two of those years, and is statistically at least a top three producer. Also just a great person and 100% Cyclone as opposed to coaches or players who weren't four year players, similar arguments for Niang obviously splitting hairs.

Any basketball list that does not include Jeff Grayer, is already dead on arrival. He’s the best to ever play at Iowa State.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Way too many people posting that weren't around before the 90's. The Mt Rushmore has to include Jack Trice (the identity of the entire football program), Dan Gable/Harold Nichols (the identity of ISU wrestling), Gary Thompson for basketball and one of the oft forgotten Louis Menze (two sport star, administrator and namesake of the ISU hall of fame).

Reactions: skibumspe

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Way too many people posting that weren't around before the 90's. The Mt Rushmore has to include Jack Trice (the identity of the entire football program), Dan Gable/Harold Nichols (the identity of ISU wrestling), Gary Thompson for basketball and one of the oft forgotten Louis Menze (two sport star, administrator and namesake of the ISU hall of fame).

That's another twist to this question. How old you are and what sports you're passionate about affect your list a lot.

I'm well aware of what Nichols and Gable accomplished. But being a younger guy and not really into wrestling, Nichols isn't one of the first names that pops up. I wasn't around for Gable's ISU days, so when I think of him I think of the guy who built Iowa wrestling into a power.

Jack Trice and Gary Thompson are needing more love, I'll give you that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron