Moved threads ...

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
My issue is when a thread I am following is moved to a thread I am not following.

For what its worth, what does it really matter? An honest question, ie. if it doesn't create any problems for anybody, why bother moderating it?

I am not a big fan of over-governing, and at face value, thats what this seems like it is. (Like I say, I understand I may not know the details behind all of this)

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
In the past before merging threads became common, I remember seeing members post links to previous threads in the new ones that popped up with the same topic with the "we're already talking about it" replies. A number of these threads turned into a "I didn't know" and mud began to fly.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
It causes the mods headaches sometimes because instead of one thread that has a few pages, there are 10+ threads with the same stuff being posted, and each and every one of those threads needs to be read.

clonefan98

Apr 12, 2006
It causes the mods headaches sometimes because instead of one thread that has a few pages, there are 10+ threads with the same stuff being posted, and each and every one of those threads needs to be read.

Do the mods need to read every single thread? What is the purpose of the "report this post" button then?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I know the mods use that button as well.

I know mods try to read every thread, although it's quite difficult. Have been under fire a time or two when things didn't get cleaned up right away by not reading everything.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Constructively, I'd like to say I agree with blue & ajk

Snidely, I'd like to say ... ummm, dang I'm out of 'em at the moment.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
Do the mods need to read every single thread? What is the purpose of the "report this post" button then?

The mods try to read as much as they possibly can. The report post button is for those instances when something either slips by or when a mod hasn't gotten to a post yet. We can't be everywhere at once, so any help the non-mods can give us is greatly appreciated.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

Fair enough explanation for me. I just request that it is not overdone, sometimes the threads have different angles on a topic, and that angle is what is interesting to me.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The problem is that whatever the mods do, some people are going to be happy and some aren't. We try our best, we hate having to move/edit/delete or otherwise moderate anything, trust me on that. We only do what is best for the site and the majority of the members. If people would understand we're here to help them, it would make it much more enjoyable for everybody. We're not trying to control things or do anything but help what the majority of the site has asked of us.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
Fair enough explanation for me. I just request that it is not overdone, sometimes the threads have different angles on a topic, and that angle is what is interesting to me.

As Jeremy stated on the previous page, the mods are working on some guidelines to make things more fluid.
Unfortunately, before, during, and after games we always get an influx of threads started that are basically people stating their opinions about the exact same things. To keep the board cleaner, we tried to have as few threads about the same topic as possible. On a normal, non-game day, you probably won't see this many merged and moved threads.

Thanks to everyone for being so understanding.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
It's funny... because last year during basketball season... threads were hardly ever merged... and members were upset because there were too many threads about the same thing causing things to get cluttered.

The way I read threads... you're less likely to have your opinion read if your post is the first in a thread of 30 threads title practically the same, than the 50th post of a single thread.

I get into one thread and keep refreshing it to see if people added thoughts to it... but when there were a bunch of Drake threads/what is Gmac thinking threads?/why is peterson getting so many more minutes than diante threads... I just turned off CF and watched the game stats on Yahoo.

Next game... I will be going into

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
But tonight there would have been over 50 threads talking about the same thing and that's far more difficult to follow than one string of posts. The problem is that either way not everybody is going to be happy.

Dear Jeremy are you gonna do the same thing for the Iowa game if the clones score 52 points and happen to lose the game?....Just wondering so I dont get into trouble trying to respond to some of your more esteemed clients!!!

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Why can't I find this option?

There is a user thread cutoff under options. The options are located under the User CP that is located on the top toolbar on the very left. Here is where you can set how far back you want to have posts shown. Hope this helps.

The thing about merging is exactly as someone stated before. Most times, your posts get lost and never responded to because there were 10 or more threads about the same thing. This then clutters up the site itself when this happens. Its just like what you do for work. Instead of having the same document lying all over the place that discusses the same thing, you decided to complile and file it all under one folder. Thats all the mods are doing here.

Mods do try read everything because it's our job to ensure that everything follows site rules. I do wish more people would report posts as it would help us out a lot.

There is a function to leave a redirect. What this does is when a thread is merged with another, it still displays the original thread, but once clicked upon it redirects you to the other thread. So here you never loose the thread you first created/posted it, but then get introduced to the new thread that everything was combined in. I think it was our wrong doing of not making use of that function as that would have helped a lot of you out.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Quick links upper right. Then edit options. Schroll down to number of post per page.[/quote

Unbelievable! I'd bet I have spent days of my life clicking and waiting for the next page to refresh.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Man, if you tell people that secret then we don't get as many page loads and ad revenue decreases:nah::wink: