Most random encounter with ISU athlete?

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
Elmer Robinson dated my roommate while I was at ISU. I’d wake up in the morning and see his shoes parked outside her bedroom door.

I also worked with Danny Harris several years after he graduated from ISU and was in the Olympics. Nice guy, and you’d never know that he was an Olympic medalist.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Several decades ago here in the Twin Cities metro an ISU buddy of mine I went to school with still had a basketball hoop up in his driveway. We didn't use it much anymore. Little neighbor girl comes over and asks if she can shoot baskets. Girl was little Erica Haugen.

Woof, times flies, that was a while ago now. :rolleyes: Feeling old.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Living in the Towers in the 70's athletes were everywhere. My favorite story is when future NFL and CFL cornerback Larry Crawford was putting the moves on my to-be wife and she then introduced Larry to her boyfriend, me. He was very cool about it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Living in the Towers in the 70's athletes were everywhere. My favorite story is when future NFL and CFL cornerback Larry Crawford was putting the moves on my to-be wife and she then introduced Larry to her boyfriend, me. He was very cool about it.

Lol Larry was a player. He hit on me and every girl on my floor at Towers I am pretty sure. The male/female ratio there plus number of football players made that standard, not random.

My best one was leaving Maude’s in some ridiculous high heels. Johnny held the door for me and said, “Don’t fall off your shoes, Coach.” I miss Johnny.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Matt Blair. I was working out in State Gym early on a Saturday. An older gentleman approached me and asked if I could help him find the football office. It was Matt's dad. I took his dad, mom and brother to the office and met Matt and Johnny Majors. Super family. Later, when Matt played intermural BB, he always took the time to stop and say hi to me. And yes, I am old.

Same era. Had Matt as a basketball instructor and also used to see him as ID checker at the old Cave Inn later. He was a really nice guy. Not all of the athletes of that era were nice guys, at all. Matt kinda stood out. He is still a nice guy, he has been to a couple alumni gatherings in the last couple years here.

Reactions: nfrine

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
I stepped on Craig Brackins foot on CyRide once.

Also ran into Reggie Stephens (pre him starting for us) in the KC airport on a flight to DFW around Christmas time.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I was out on Welch one night and got seperated from my friends and ended up running in to Jake Lattimer. We are talking and we decided to take some shots. Next thing I know I am in Sips with him and we are pounding drinks and then it hits me. I am pounding drinks with Jake Lattimer, this probably won't end well, and then got the hell out of there. It was fun, but I knew how Jake Lattimer nights like ended up.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Randoms from back in the day:

1. Played baseball catch with Eric Heft and my dorm buddy that was his friend. This was after we had all graduated. Don't play catch with athletes if you are not an athlete. Woof, too many heaters getting thrown for me. BTW, his then wife was super attractive and super nice.

2. First time seeing Chris Taylor was at the old Cave Inn. Taylor had a beer pitcher in his hand and it just looked like a large mug of beer. Dude was huge and his hands just wrapped around that pitcher.

3. Cave Inn again, Tim Goedjen tried to pick up my gal but failed. I was likely being my beer addled inattentive 21-year old self. Okay, you young kids won't know who this is but it's football. He was lucky since she turned out to be relatively crazy.

4. Getting coached by Matt Blair in a basketball class and him asking if there was something wrong with my knees since I was so inflexible. :rolleyes:

5. Introductions first day in a soc class. Some dude is slumped back so far in his chair you can hardly see him. Introduction, "Ivy, Hercle". Pretty much the only thing he said that quarter.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I beat Ben Dinkins in a dunk contest at the Leid Rec in 2011. I didn't even know he was on the football team when it happened. But I can safely say I won. (He only dunked once in three tries)

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
My buddy lived on the same dorm floor as Barry Stevens. Saw him limping down the hall one day. He says,"Hey Barry, did you turn an ankle at practice?" Barry says, "No man! I'm just walking this way!"

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Mid to late 90's I was a high school kid working at Adventureland. Dan Mccarney, his wife and kids come up and start looking t-shirts in my shop.

Spring of 2016 Im at the Des Moines airport in the waiting area picking up my girlfriend, glance over and Matt Campbell is sitting there, I assume waiting on a recruit thats in for a visit.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Randoms from back in the day:

3. Cave Inn again, Tim Goedjen tried to pick up my gal but failed. I was likely being my beer addled inattentive 21-year old self. Okay, you young kids won't know who this is but it's football. He was lucky since she turned out to be relatively crazy.

One of my brothers lived in Towers when Goedjen missed the extra point against Nebby. Said guys were merciless to him in dining hall.

Minny_Clone

Nov 3, 2017
Minneapolis
Lived in Willow freshman year and met a guy on my floor who claimed to be a walk-on on the basketball team. Played pick-up at Lied with him a handful of times and became decent friends. He kept telling me he was on the team, but needed to work on his game. Admittedly I thought he was a little crazy. He had the height, but he was an awkward, lanky white dude who shot more threes then post moves.

Lose contact with said behemoth sophomore year (still see him at Lied every once in awhile.) That next summer I pull up an Iowa State basketball article and see a picture of Georges running on the track with new walk-on... Big Stu.

clonedmax

Apr 19, 2006
Earlham, IA
I was at Worlds of Fun in KC with the family and saw Melvin Ejim with family as we were passing each other. I think my son and I had ISU hats on, but he was looking the other direction as we passed. I didn't want to make a scene by yelling at him, but I did a nonchalant nudge to my son, hey did you see who that was? Well one of his family members must of seen our ISU gear and gotten his attention as I hear from behind "Hey, Go Cyclones!" Turn around and he's waving at us. Made my son's day.

My neice grew up a Hawk fan in eastern Iowa and oblivious to anything ISU. She used to work part time at a jewelry store. A man came in wanting to buy a piece of jewelry for his wife. She helped him pick something out. As they talked, he said he was from Ames and coached basketball, and that they were moving to Chicago soon. She spent a half hour talking with him and helping him out. It was only after he left that a co-worker informed her that she had been waiting on Fred Hoiberg.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
One of my brothers lived in Towers when Goedjen missed the extra point against Nebby. Said guys were merciless to him in dining hall.

Was at that game. Guy was a good kicker. Nobody remembered that the Nebraska kicker also missed an extra point in that game.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Shook hands with Bubu and Tyrus at Charlie Yokes after a victory circa spring 2013. Remembered thinking how small those dudes were (I'm 5'10").

Same time frame I referee'd intramural basketball on campus for a part time job. Anyone on an ISU NCAA team had to play in A league, so I remember a game where the lineman had a team together and would just throw up threes every time they had the ball and barely played defense. Didn't really have to referee that one, just sat back and laughed the entire time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron