Most annoying ritual in sports

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
But the DL gets a chance to get back into position, the OL can't even blink most games. If the OL got a chance to reset position prior to the snap like the DL can, I'd be fine with it.
Right and the defense only has to be caught in the neutral zone to have any chance of being penalized. Any movement - neutral zone or not - by the O is a false start.

Reactions: Jer

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
But the DL gets a chance to get back into position, the OL can't even blink most games. If the OL got a chance to reset position prior to the snap like the DL can, I'd be fine with it.

Except you literally just said the DL should have to stay stationary as well - which means you want to take away the one and only thing they have going for them. And before you say "I only meant side to side and not jumping..." stationary means stationary.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Except you literally just said the DL should have to stay stationary as well - which means you want to take away the one and only thing they have going for them. And before you say "I only meant side to side and not jumping..." stationary means stationary.
Fair. I meant to say I just want the rules to be more fair. If the OL has to be stationary, than the DL should have to be. If the DL can move but has an option to reset, the OL should too.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
-Having o-linemen or defensive players bring a lunchbox to the side lines.
-Holding hands as a team when running out onto the field.
Wait, they are holding hands? I thought they all reached over and grabbed something else for each other.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Fair. I meant to say I just want the rules to be more fair. If the OL has to be stationary, than the DL should have to be. If the DL can move but has an option to reset, the OL should too.

And, FTR, the jumping side to side most of the time isn't about trying to make the OL jump; it's about changing what gap they're going to hit after the OL has set their blocking assignments. And if you want to take that away from the defense, then the offense shouldn't be allowed to audible, either.

Reactions: Drew0311

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Every Texas team having some sort of stupid hand sign like the Bear Claw, Horns, Whatever that TCU thing is, Texas Tech guns thingy. Like why do Texas teams have to do hand signs.

My least favorite also is when one coach does his coach speak thing and all of the sudden every coach basically says the same coach speak thing for a couple years. Lately it has been "Trust the Process". I am not sure if Campbell started it or hear another coach say it and started saying it, however, every coach says it now.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Every Texas team having some sort of stupid hand sign like the Bear Claw, Horns, Whatever that TCU thing is, Texas Tech guns thingy. Like why do Texas teams have to do hand signs.

My least favorite also is when one coach does his coach speak thing and all of the sudden every coach basically says the same coach speak thing for a couple years. Lately it has been "Trust the Process". I am not sure if Campbell started it or hear another coach say it and started saying it, however, every coach says it now.
Every single basketball coach is going to 'build a culture' and 'play fast'. I'm going to pull my hair out.

Reactions: Drew0311

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
And, FTR, the jumping side to side most of the time isn't about trying to make the OL jump; it's about changing what gap they're going to hit after the OL has set their blocking assignments. And if you want to take that away from the defense, then the offense shouldn't be allowed to audible, either.
I don't buy that when it's the entire DL that does a quick jump right or left in sync. That's different from lining up differently. I don't care about the latter, I hate the unfair full life quick shift when the OL can barely take a breathe.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Seems like a lot of "Get off my lawn!!!" sentiment in this thread.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Three I hate already listed, hand holding, D slapping floor, and celebrating a tackle when you gave up a chunk of yards.

I also hate “rivalry” games with a special ugly trophy, rock chalk, and recognition of any celebrity/politician at a game unless it is a former player for one of the teams.

Also pretty tired of shrugs and you can’t see me gestures.

Reactions: VeloClone and Jer

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Can't wait to get flamed for this but the National Anthem for any non-international event (Olympics). What in the world does a high school football game or a Cubs game have to do with patriotism? I'm there to watch a game, not be embroiled with faux-Patriotism.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
DB's celebrating an incomplete pass after the QB threw it 10 yards away from the receiver
80s-aerobic-group-dance-0avl0sek3zebg2rt.gif

My personal favorite is the DB celebrating not knowing they've been flagged for PI.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Can't wait to get flamed for this but the National Anthem for any non-international event (Olympics). What in the world does a high school football game or a Cubs game have to do with patriotism? I'm there to watch a game, not be embroiled with faux-Patriotism.
But muh freedoms! I agree.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Extending this to fans as well. If you’re above the age of 5 and doing hand gestures (beyond horns down, that’s solid), just stop. You look ridiculous.

Yes. The Texas schools and their stupid hand gestures are really annoying.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

The flyovers are really cool though.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1