More UNLV woes

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Dont wish that kid any ill at all. But its kind of funny that they are struggling so much.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Looks like it's going to be up RV alone to salvage the season for the runnin rebs.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...lle-smith-decides-transfer-unlv-senior-season

And some good PR press for them to boot.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ing-bad-head-coaching-jobs-college-basketball

Not sure that replacing almost everyone from a team that didn't make the tourney is such a bad thing. Especially when you're replacing them with the 4th ranked recruiting class in the country. While their team will certainly be less experienced, the ceiling is probably much higher as well.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Not sure that replacing almost everyone from a team that didn't make the tourney is such a bad thing. Especially when you're replacing them with the 4th ranked recruiting class in the country. While their team will certainly be less experienced, the ceiling is probably much higher as well.

If I had any belief that Rice was a decent coach I'd agree. But this looks like their setting up for another bad season.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
If I had any belief that Rice was a decent coach I'd agree. But this looks like their setting up for another bad season.

Good point. UNLV will have plenty of talent and potential, but only a good coach will turn that into wins.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It will be very interesting to see how this works out of Vaughn. Defenses will be able to key on him even more since his team will be so weak. It is hard to imagine that his NBA stock doesn't go down during the season at UNLV.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
It will be very interesting to see how this works out of Vaughn. Defenses will be able to key on him even more since his team will be so weak. It is hard to imagine that his NBA stock doesn't go down during the season at UNLV.

But Dave Rice runs a pro-style offense. I can't see how his stock would go down. :unsure:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Would LOVE to know the whole backstory. As many remembered, it seemed Matt A. took it hard (as he recruited him hard and seemed he'd come here). Did the handler get in his ear? Are there "unfinished promises" needing to be made up for with AAU coaches?

I know, RV could have just said, "i like the warm weather and abundance of buffets" and that could be the true answer. But wouldn't you think, if you found a completely unbiased bball expert, wouldn't you think they'd tell a top recruit to pick us over UNLV 9/10 times?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Would LOVE to know the whole backstory. As many remembered, it seemed Matt A. took it hard (as he recruited him hard and seemed he'd come here). Did the handler get in his ear? Are there "unfinished promises" needing to be made up for with AAU coaches?

I know, RV could have just said, "i like the warm weather and abundance of buffets" and that could be the true answer. But wouldn't you think, if you found a completely unbiased bball expert, wouldn't you think they'd tell a top recruit to pick us over UNLV 9/10 times?

Maybe the RV handler will have to suit up for the UNLV scout team.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Every bit of info that comes out about that program makes the RV choice even more confusing (unless you make the assumption that some money is changing hands). Mid-major program, minimal TV exposure, didn't make the tourney last year, players are fleeing like rats off a sinking ship, mediocre coach, and a top ranked recruiting class. It just doesn't add up.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
But Dave Rice runs a pro-style offense. I can't see how his stock would go down. :unsure:

Tons of double and triple-teaming on defense that he wouldn't face if UNLV were keeping good players. He could be forced into making mistakes or taking bad shots just because someone has to do so. On a good team, he would get more one-on-one opportunities and be able to flow with the offense rather than having to be the offense.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Tons of double and triple-teaming on defense that he wouldn't face if UNLV were keeping good players. He could be forced into making mistakes or taking bad shots just because someone has to do so. On a good team, he would get more one-on-one opportunities and be able to flow with the offense rather than having to be the offense.

Better put some new batteries in your scarcasm detector.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Looks like it's going to be up RV alone to salvage the season for the runnin rebs.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...lle-smith-decides-transfer-unlv-senior-season

And some good PR press for them to boot.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ing-bad-head-coaching-jobs-college-basketball

I'd really love to know what was going on behind the scenes.

Also, if that "bad jobs" list were published four years ago, I think there'd be a good chance we'd be on it. Thanks, Fred.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I really do wish RV well, but if the kid thinks he's a shoe in draft pick after a year, there are plenty of cautionary tales about kids who go to less-visible schools and get lost in the mix. I'm sure he has aspirations of being "the guy" and NBA teams wont be able to miss his ability, but the following names: Jarell Martin, Bobby Portis, Keith Frazier and Rysheed Jordan were Top 20 players last year who went to LSU, Alabama, SMU and St Johns respectively. None of those guys were in a position to leave for the NBA after their freshman year, and none of them appear on NBADraft.net's 2015 mock draft.