More re-development

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
The newest projects right across from the MU and Lake Lavern are mostly $700+ per bedroom I think, of course that is probably the top location in town. I think the housing that has been added, currently under construction, and planned in campustown will add enough density to the area. Maybe now is the time to transition toward different tax abatement criteria. It seems the city has achieved their goal of adding a substantial amount of housing to the area and new retail spaces. Also, some of these projects could probably still occur without the abatement. I think it might be a good idea to incentivize a different type of project from here on out encouraging unique projects that would add character to the area. Also, providing an incentive for some of the new retail space to be set-aside for local tenants would be nice since they are pushing some of them out to achieve redevelopment. The facade improvement grants were a good addition for the area.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The brand new apartments on Lincoln way that opened up in the fall are $699 per bedroom I believe. Super super super expensive IMO. How anyone could justify spending that is beyond me. My 2 bedroom in West Ames is $625 total..

Yep, nephew was looking into these. Last year they were $699 a bedroom in those cookie cutter four bedroom furnished deals lots of companies put up near campuses, where everyone also has their own bathroom. With so many large complexes going up in the area, where do they put all of the cars?`

Campustown needed a lift but I'm concerned with so many of these, it will become bland and generic. Having gone to grad school at Notre Dame, the area around campus wasn't great when I was in school, but there were several fun dive bars and a great dumpy ribs joint. A few years ago, they took out a bunch of that, and put in some strip of commercial crap that looks about like all of the stuff around Jordan Creek filed with a generic look and chain restaurants and shops. I suppose a lot of people like that kind of stuff or it wouldn't be successful, but I really miss Lee's Ribs.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Yep, nephew was looking into these. Last year they were $699 a bedroom in those cookie cutter four bedroom furnished deals lots of companies put up near campuses, where everyone also has their own bathroom. With so many large complexes going up in the area, where do they put all of the cars?`

Campustown needed a lift but I'm concerned with so many of these, it will become bland and generic. Having gone to grad school at Notre Dame, the area around campus wasn't great when I was in school, but there were several fun dive bars and a great dumpy ribs joint. A few years ago, they took out a bunch of that, and put in some strip of commercial crap that looks about like all of the stuff around Jordan Creek filed with a generic look and chain restaurants and shops. I suppose a lot of people like that kind of stuff or it wouldn't be successful, but I really miss Lee's Ribs.

Most of Welch and the block to the west of it is still dumpy and will stay that way for awhile, so no worries.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
When I was in school way back in 2012 I lived for 1 summer on Welch in an old house. Homeowner had to have been at least 95 years old. She charged us $145 each for the 4 bedroom apt.

Good old days!
Every kid that goes to college should have the experience of living in a dump. A survival aspect of college life. I lived in countless old houses/apartments and I wouldn't trade those memories.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Every kid that goes to college should have the experience of living in a dump. A survival aspect of college life. I lived in countless old houses/apartments and I wouldn't trade those memories.

A few years ago on of my college roommates thought it would be cool to go back and visit the house we lived in during college. You don't realize how big of a dump a house is until you go back to it as an adult. We didn't mind it in college though.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Seems like all of campustown is becoming midrise apartments.

Fify.

I think redevelopment is obviously essential with the growth but I'd echo the others in here with regards to the cost of housing in Ames. Also, I didn't check here but I'm sure they'll flex the ground floor for street retail.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I left Ames in 2014 and I feel like campus town has changed so much since then. I lived in Legacy for 2 years, ya know... when it was a **** hole.

We had 4 people with 3 bedrooms. Made the furnace/water heater room a bedroom... the space was bigger than the other 3 bedrooms! Build a wall and everything. Had to take down the wall every time there was an inspection, though. Hah!

Last edited by a moderator:

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I left Ames in 2014 and I feel like campus town has changed so much since then. I lived in Legacy for 2 years, ya know... when it was a sh*thole.

We had 4 people with 3 bedrooms. Made the furnace/water heater room a bedroom... the space was bigger than the other 3 bedrooms! Build a wall and everything. Had to take down the wall every time there was an inspection, though. Hah!

I think nearly every single person made that space a bedroom. At least everyone that I knew that lived in Legacy.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Is "The Edge" the one opening up next fall right by the other two big ones on Lincoln Way by the MU? Combined with Buchanan and the new dorm, that a lot of people in that area.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Agreed. Current perception of Ames is crappy. Perhaps a bit of (light) urbanization will raise its stature.

Edit: I mean to say: "perception of Campustown by fans of other schools." Rightfully or not, Ames is generally listed near the bottom of any "fun places to watch a road game in the Big 12" lists. They obviously aren't reading any of the leading magazines that love Ames as a college town.

But the water, though.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Agreed. Current perception of Ames is crappy. Perhaps a bit of (light) urbanization will raise its stature.

Edit: I mean to say: "perception of Campustown by fans of other schools." Rightfully or not, Ames is generally listed near the bottom of any "fun places to watch a road game in the Big 12" lists. They obviously aren't reading any of the leading magazines that love Ames as a college town.

Go read any message board of a Big 12 school before they play here. Ames and the gameday scene get a lot of love these days.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

Who gives a **** what fans of other schools think?

MartyMcCy

Sep 6, 2011
Go read any message board of a Big 12 school before they play here. Ames and the gameday scene get a lot of love these days.
They must be talking about tailgating for football. I can't think of anything else that would get praise. The fan support AT the games are great. Maybe that's what they are talking about.

Last edited:

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Also won't matter what visiting fans think soon because regional opponents/conferences are a thing of the past.

Also I paid 500 total (plus utilities) for a 3 bedroom last year for a place 2 blocks from campus. The floor in some areas gave about half a foot but beyond that can't complain.