More re-development

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
I have graduated and live in west Ames. My rent has gone up 100-150 per month each year for the past 3. Needless to say, I am done with this place. The problem is that everything is getting ridiculous.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Until the city moves the fire station and turns Welch into a pedestrian mall (yes like IC) campustown will always be seen as JV to non Iowa Staters

I've always felt that Welch should be a pedestrian mall from about where Welch Avenue Station is down to Lincoln Way. I've never seen the need for traffic to go down that street? Just close it off and turn it into a small ped mall area with food trucks, etc.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Not sure why, but I think this

[video=youtube;miXMWJyOdgw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miXMWJyOdgw[/video]

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've always felt that Welch should be a pedestrian mall from about where Welch Avenue Station is down to Lincoln Way. I've never seen the need for traffic to go down that street? Just close it off and turn it into a small ped mall area with food trucks, etc.

I actually presented this idea to that VEISHEA committee and maybe I said it on here too. Basically wait until 2022 and bring it back (100 year anniversary) and coincide that with the firehouse move and making welch ave a ped mall. Make that Ped mall a big beer tent during VEISHEA week and only 21+ can come in (for those blaming it was people under 21 that started the 2014 riots). $1 to get in the tent on Sunday, $2 on Tuesday, $3 on Wednesday, $5 on Thursday-Saturday. (Which would pay for the undercover police and security. Rest could be split among the bars/restaurants or to charity) Have food trucks throughout the whole thing. Then when 2am rolls around funnel them out in 4 directions instead of 1 (eliminates my theory on how the last riot started). Make it a university sponsored event that promotes safe drinking etc.

That's just a short summery. The long version I had (maybe 5000 words and 10pages) never even got a response from that committee and I'm still salty about it.

Reactions: croelfs10

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Until the city moves the fire station and turns Welch into a pedestrian mall (yes like IC) campustown will always be seen as JV to non Iowa Staters

No need to even mention IC, a pedestrian mall is a universal idea :smile:

As far as campustown, it seems like it is getting better, but it was pretty bad for a while. I think it was better 20 years ago and then things started moving out. There were 2 movie theaters that went out around that time and there were more bars/places to eat. It still amazes me that the McDonald's and Burger King left. The town got more overall, but campustown was getting more and more desolate. Good to see new businesses there now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron