More re-development

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
As long as there is an element of commercial, thats a good thing, IMO. Density will just bring in better businesses.

Agreed. Current perception of Ames is crappy. Perhaps a bit of (light) urbanization will raise its stature.

Edit: I mean to say: "perception of Campustown by fans of other schools." Rightfully or not, Ames is generally listed near the bottom of any "fun places to watch a road game in the Big 12" lists. They obviously aren't reading any of the leading magazines that love Ames as a college town.

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think light urbanization is the correct term for campustown. Apartments like legacy and cyclone plaza (if i remember correctly) are too tall for that kind of area. I think so long you keep the apartments to no more than 6-8 floors, campustown will look nice.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I haven't checked the rent on some of the newer apartments in Ames; how expensive are they compared to the older apartments and houses?

If they're as pricey as I assume, it's a common trend around college campuses and I'm so torn about it. On the one hand, I want to be happy for students who are able to have nice things, and good for them getting to live in sweet apartments that are 100x nicer than anything I had. On the other hand, the only way students can afford them is to borrow a lot (bad) or let mom and day pay (arguably worse).

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I haven't checked the rent on some of the newer apartments in Ames; how expensive are they compared to the older apartments and houses?

If they're as pricey as I assume, it's a common trend around college campuses and I'm so torn about it. On the one hand, I want to be happy for students who are able to have nice things, and good for them getting to live in sweet apartments that are 100x nicer than anything I had. On the other hand, the only way students can afford them is to borrow a lot (bad) or let mom and day pay (arguably worse).
Good points. With newer, more expensive, units being built it will either force the worse places to raise their standards or lower their rents. These places are more expensive due to location obviously. When I was in school we paid $800 for a 2 bedroom across from campus while others paid $600 in west ames.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Paid $1400 for a six bedroom on Lincoln Way just west of campus. Still can't believe it. Some of those apartments are too expensive and nice for college students IMO. You can't be borrowing money like that. You shouldn't get used to living like that because once you graduate, you might not be able to afford a similar level of living in Chicago, KC, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Omaha etc. (Picked random cities where a lot of our grads go to). But that is just me

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Good points. With newer, more expensive, units being built it will either force the worse places to raise their standards or lower their rents. These places are more expensive due to location obviously. When I was in school we paid $800 for a 2 bedroom across from campus while others paid $600 in west ames.

True, this puts the pressure on the slum lords to clean up their act, which is great news.

The skeptic in me says that it's all just another symptom of college becoming a rich kids' club. Students at most of the Big Ten schools are demographically identical to Ivy League schools in terms of wealth and background, and they're about the only ones who can afford the drastic tuition increases that have occurred over the past 10-20 years. Public universities are straying so far from their mission of being affordable and accessible, and it's really sad.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

I've seen "reduced price" 2BR listings for $1000+ out in West Ames. Several 4BR/5BR places closer to campus are listed as ~$600 per bedroom.

iastatehunter

Jul 28, 2013

The brand new apartments on Lincoln way that opened up in the fall are $699 per bedroom I believe. Super super super expensive IMO. How anyone could justify spending that is beyond me. My 2 bedroom in West Ames is $625 total..

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
When I was in school way back in 2012 I lived for 1 summer on Welch in an old house. Homeowner had to have been at least 95 years old. She charged us $145 each for the 4 bedroom apt.

Good old days!

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
When I was in school way back in 2012 I lived for 1 summer on Welch in an old house. Homeowner had to have been at least 95 years old. She charged us $145 each for the 4 bedroom apt.

Good old days!

What was the rent during the school year?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
What was the rent during the school year?

Same $145 I'm pretty sure, although I never lived there during the school year so I can't remember. It was ridiculously cheap. The one girl that lived there paid $0 because her aunt was the owner.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Same $145 I'm pretty sure, although I never lived there during the school year so I can't remember. It was ridiculously cheap. The one girl that lived there paid $0 because her aunt was the owner.

She had a 95 year old aunt? eesh, how'd that work. One of her parents a gold digger?