Monte

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
He's been playing on another level since Texas. He's starting to figure it out defensively and really gaining confidence on offense

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Last 4 games:

19.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 5.5 apg, 1 to/game.

6/10 from 3; 16/20 FTs.

While sitting a total of 5 minutes over the 4 games.

He's really really good.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I could be wrong but it seems like his #s are up somehow with us playing slightly slower. Might makes sense because the slower we play the more likely we are to run it through MM and/or Georges each possession.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Last 4 games:

19.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 5.5 apg, 1 to/game.

6/10 from 3; 16/20 FTs.

While sitting a total of 5 minutes over the 4 games.

He's really really good.

That's his exact line every game it seems. The standard deviation has to be minuscule.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Well. Morris would be a 2nd round pick at best.

Smart thing to do would be bet on yourself for your senior year and have a Buddy Hield-esque ending. He won't get as high as Buddy, but he'll have more of chance to prove himself.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm convinced Monte was more hurt than he was letting on. Just watching him on the court, he has so much more bounce in his step right now. I think it has very little to do with the NBA talk.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Monte's defense and FT shooting regressed while most every other phase of his game improved during his sophomore campaign. Defensively his performances this year have been equally inconsistent while the FT shooting has continued to be an eyesore (though it's been better lately). Both are inexcusable as Monte has the tools to be above average in both categories.

The two areas of his game that have improved the most the last few years are his abilities to finish around the rim and the improvement of his mid-range game/floater. During his freshman year Monte was a lockdown defender and I think Hoiberg putting Kane instead of Morris on Napier was the single biggest reason for the UConn loss (when Hoiberg finally pulled his head out of his *** it was too late) and one of the dumbest moves in Fred's tenure. I think some of the dropoff could be attributed to the shift from a "secondary" point guard and primary defender, to a primary ball-handler and relied upon scorer. I think Monte has that part down and can regain some focus on the defensive end. He has some stretches but his footwork is lazy compared to his freshman campaign. I remember when Staten couldn't even get the ball, much less score when Monte was on him.

Now that Monte is so good at getting the lane he needs to become a 76-80% FT shooter. He is forfeiting a lot of points, especially the back end of one and ones, when he's missing these shots. Some guys suck at FTs, but Monte has shown that he CAN be (and should be) a great FT shooter.

If he can improve and maintain in these areas down the stretch, he will be a complete PG. One deserving of first team AA status (won't happen with the over-hyped page).

I love me some Monte. :D

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Now that Monte is so good at getting the lane he needs to become a 76-80% FT shooter. He is forfeiting a lot of points, especially the back end of one and ones, when he's missing these shots. Some guys suck at FTs, but Monte has shown that he CAN be (and should be) a great FT shooter.

Morris is an 76-80% FT shooter. He's shooting 74% during conference play, including 16 of 20 in the last 4 games.

For his career he's at 76.6%.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Monte's defense and FT shooting regressed while most every other phase of his game improved during his sophomore campaign. Defensively his performances this year have been equally inconsistent while the FT shooting has continued to be an eyesore (though it's been better lately). Both are inexcusable as Monte has the tools to be above average in both categories.

The two areas of his game that have improved the most the last few years are his abilities to finish around the rim and the improvement of his mid-range game/floater. During his freshman year Monte was a lockdown defender and I think Hoiberg putting Kane instead of Morris on Napier was the single biggest reason for the UConn loss (when Hoiberg finally pulled his head out of his *** it was too late) and one of the dumbest moves in Fred's tenure. I think some of the dropoff could be attributed to the shift from a "secondary" point guard and primary defender, to a primary ball-handler and relied upon scorer. I think Monte has that part down and can regain some focus on the defensive end. He has some stretches but his footwork is lazy compared to his freshman campaign. I remember when Staten couldn't even get the ball, much less score when Monte was on him.

If he can improve and maintain in these areas down the stretch, he will be a complete PG. One deserving of first team AA status (won't happen with the over-hyped page).

I love me some Monte. :D

****** man, what more do you want, he's the most complete point guard in college basketball for the last two years.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
****** man, what more do you want, he's the most complete point guard in college basketball for the last two years.

Even though he is "complete" he can be even moreso based on past performance. Aside from outside shooting (where he can still be good), Morris can be elite in just about every facet of the game. For the last two years his defense and FT have fallen way off.

CyGOLFR

Nov 8, 2010
Watching the replay at home after the game...were damn lucky to have such a good ball player here. 2 plays in the 1st half where he got rebounds off bad shots and made his patented floater...

Don't go Monte!!!!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I thought Stinson patented the floater...or was that the teardrop?