Monte called up to the Nuggets

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yea, if he'd have ended up in a situation like Fred VanVleet in Toronto or Tyus Jones in Minnesota, I don't think he'd be bouncing between the bench and G-league like he is.
Tyus' hometown ties do as much for him in the situation up here as anything else. For a team that is struggling on the attendance front they need every tie in they can get.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Or a situation like Frank Mason in Sacramento. I believe Monte is the better player yet Mason gets quite a bit of playing time. Doesn't make sense to me, but I don't understand much.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Boggles my mind Monte isn't good enough to start getting numbers like that. Really don't care for NBA. White, Kane, Morris all good enough to be playing somewhere. At least Nader is getting his shot.
Their back up PG Mudiay is trash too, I don't get why he doesn't get PT.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Tyus' hometown ties do as much for him in the situation up here as anything else. For a team that is struggling on the attendance front they need every tie in they can get.

Yea, obviously there are some extenuating circumstances with Jones. I guess I was coming more from the angle of him being drafted to be a back-up and there always being a fairly clear pecking order ahead of him at the position. Rubio or Teague have always been there as an established starter. Give or take Dunn last year, it's never been a confusing situation at PG where a ton of minutes have to be spent developing or seeing who sticks as the starter. That's a situation that creates more appreciation (and roster space) for the guy who just holds the game steady for 5 minutes.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Boggles my mind Monte isn't good enough to start getting numbers like that. Really don't care for NBA. White, Kane, Morris all good enough to be playing somewhere. At least Nader is getting his shot.
White had his chance but blew it. I’m sure he would be playing if not for his baggage. Kane not being a good shooter limited him. Monte though I believe should be getting more of a chance than Denver has given him.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I sort of wonder if Kane just decided to make money in Europe. Not everyone wants to spend time in the d league. I suspect that if Kane had gone that route, he wooluld have played in the nba.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I sort of wonder if Kane just decided to make money in Europe. Not everyone wants to spend time in the d league. I suspect that if Kane had gone that route, he wooluld have played in the nba.
One thing that makes no sense to me in regards to the NBA is their love affair with age. Kane was just as good if not better than Marcus Smart in nearly every category, but a couple of years older. They would rather take a 19 year old that has a 10% chance to be great and 50% chance to flame out over a guy like Kane that has a 2% chance to be great by only a 10% chance to flame out.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
One thing that makes no sense to me in regards to the NBA is their love affair with age. Kane was just as good if not better than Marcus Smart in nearly every category, but a couple of years older. They would rather take a 19 year old that has a 10% chance to be great and 50% chance to flame out over a guy like Kane that has a 2% chance to be great by only a 10% chance to flame out.

And along those lines, most guys that make a roster only last 2 years or less anyway. What's the different between a 19-20 yo flaming out and a 24 year old being done in 2 years. They're both done.

In terms of @jsb's idea, I wonder how many people that play in the G-League actually ever make it to the NBA, even on a 10 day contract? Surely that would play a factor in someone's decision, or certainly would if the number is as low as I suspect it is (with no data to back me up).

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And along those lines, most guys that make a roster only last 2 years or less anyway. What's the different between a 19-20 yo flaming out and a 24 year old being done in 2 years. They're both done.

In terms of @jsb's idea, I wonder how many people that play in the G-League actually ever make it to the NBA, even on a 10 day contract? Surely that would play a factor in someone's decision, or certainly would if the number is as low as I suspect it is (with no data to back me up).

I agree it’s probably low, but I think there’s an argument to be made (naz) for staying over here.

I’m pretty sure Kane hasn’t played on a summer league team in years. I just think it’s possible that he decided to make his money and not chase the nba.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I agree it’s probably low, but I think there’s an argument to be made (naz) for staying over here.

I’m pretty sure Kane hasn’t played on a summer league team in years. I just think it’s possible that he decided to make his money and not chase the nba.

I agree. It's likely his choice, or his response to the weird age thoughts of the NBA,
It's not like a team is committing to a player for life. It's a year or two and then the next wave of kids is coming in. I really don't get it.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Monte is still in a good spot but to expect him to get major minutes his rookie year was always a long shot. He was signed with the intention of developing with on the G-League team and contribute later. He does have a GM that believes in him and will give him a legit chance once they think he is ready.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
Isn't this more than likely due to his 2-way contract? It only allows him to spend a finite amount of time with their respective NBA team and the rest of their season with a G-League affiliate.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006

michael lewis interviews darell morey in his latest book, the undoing project, about this topic. it has to do with the fact that college performance/stats are better than they appear due to age, not that the players are too old to be in the nba. in other words, older players aren't as good as we think they are, they're good because they're playing against kids, generating outsized performance in college that won't be replicated in the nba.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

A) How many fanbases of decent college basketball programs have the exact same complaints about the guys from their team that never made the league? We can't all have the absolute stud that NBA missed on.

B) The age thing ABSOLUTELY makes sense in the NBA's current incentive structure. If you're an NBA GM do you take a bunch of guys that are probably guaranteed to make your franchise just enough better to hang around the 7/8 seed every year, or do you take the swing at the guys that will develop while you tank for a few years and have a chance at developing into a mega-star?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
A) How many fanbases of decent college basketball programs have the exact same complaints about the guys from their team that never made the league? We can't all have the absolute stud that NBA missed on.
Well considering he was an all-american, I would think that a guy in the top 15 players in college should be able to find a spot in the NBA. I understand that certain playing types and bodies don't fit the NBA game but I just don't understand that argument for Kane. The dude played just like Marcus Smart. Your second point does explain it more though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well considering he was an all-american, I would think that a guy in the top 15 players in college should be able to find a spot in the NBA. I understand that certain playing types and bodies don't fit the NBA game but I just don't understand that argument for Kane. The dude played just like Marcus Smart. Your second point does explain it more though.
Kane wasn't nearly as good of a flopper as Smart.
EFrIofX.gif

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
White had his chance but blew it. I’m sure he would be playing if not for his baggage. Kane not being a good shooter limited him. Monte though I believe should be getting more of a chance than Denver has given him.

Don't be surprised if Denver makes a move to trade Mudiay before the trade deadline which would make room for Monte. it appears that the Nuggets need to play EM to hopefully create interest.

Reactions: RedDog

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia

There's only one or two "stars" on each team, so not every draft pick is meant to be a hall of famer. Essentially, Kane would need to prove to be better than Lebron, Curry, Durant, Harden, etc. Deandre Kane doesn't cut it as a role player, because he needs the ball in his hands to be effective and has no elite off-ball skills (shooting, defense, rebounding). Marcus Smart was just as good as Kane with the ball in his hands during college, but he gives you elite defense. That's why he's in the NBA and Kane is not.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: jkclone and Doc

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
There's only one or two "stars" on each team, so not every draft pick is meant to be a hall of famer. Essentially, Kane would need to prove to be better than Lebron, Curry, Durant, Harden, etc. Deandre Kane doesn't cut it as a role player, because he needs the ball in his hands to be effective and has no elite off-ball skills (shooting, defense, rebounding). Marcus Smart was just as good as Kane with the ball in his hands during college, but he gives you elite defense. That's why he's in the NBA and Kane is not.
"Elite defense"