MONDAY MUSINGS: Five questions heading into spring football

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
No question that opening up bigger holes for DM is a key factor for the offense, but I also think replacing the lost WR production is just as important. I think there are the dudes there to do it (Butler, Eaton, Jones, etc.), but it'll still be interesting.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
No question that opening up bigger holes for DM is a key factor for the offense, but I also think replacing the lost WR production is just as important. I think there are the dudes there to do it (Butler, Eaton, Jones, etc.), but it'll still be interesting.

Jones was someone who was explosive two years ago, but seemed to disappear a bit last year. I really hope he gets a lot of targets this fall; I think he could be a really exciting player.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Jones was someone who was explosive two years ago, but seemed to disappear a bit last year. I really hope he gets a lot of targets this fall; I think he could be a really exciting player.

I think part of that is because of how many WRs we had. Marchie and Ryen probably took a lot of his snaps and targets.

I still really liked what I saw from him on the limited receptions he had... I remember him fighting (hand on the ground with multiple tacklers) for extra yardage more than a couple times.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
We have a staff that knows how to develop talent and there appears to be a bunch of guys buying in up and down the roster. It will be interesting to see who "comes out of nowhere" this year to make a big impact. Hopefully at least one of those will be on the O line.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
So did we completely miss out on a grad transfer safety? I know that Ike guy from Rice went to South Carolina, but what about the Illinois safety?

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I could be way off with this but was Campos ever going to try for a waiver to play or does he have no interest in another year?

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'm interested to see how they decide to utilize guys like Kene and Re-al. Guys that can do big things with the ball in their hands, but don't really have a defined role as of yet.

Also, its weird thinking about ISU having this much depth across the board. How many years have we seen it where you can look at a few position group and only see guys that are either not ready, or not able to compete at a Big 12 level. This seems like a year where even the untested guys seem to have an upside.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio

There was only one football to share and game plans went other ways. His production the year before may of had defenses game plan for him better. Just guessing???????

It's tough not to throw it up to tall receivers if the match ups warrant it.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Is the plan to redshirt all of the incoming offensive linemen? Also, any word on how Nogaj has looked?

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
The loss of Lazard of course hurts he is the best wide receiver in the history of the program. We certanly arent lacking for play-makers though David Montgomery, Kene Nwangwu, Hakeem Butler, Matthew Eaton, Deshaunte Jones, Chase Allen...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Also, its weird thinking about ISU having this much depth across the board. How many years have we seen it where you can look at a few position group and only see guys that are either not ready, or not able to compete at a Big 12 level. This seems like a year where even the untested guys seem to have an upside.

If you really think about it, nearly every year.

There's a feeling of simply having stability and a foundation set in place for ISU football and that's very exciting (sadly, in a way).

Reactions: khardbored

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There was only one football to share and game plans went other ways. His production the year before may of had defenses game plan for him better. Just guessing???????

It's tough not to throw it up to tall receivers if the match ups warrant it.

I don't care who's getting the ball--the more legit threats there are, the better.

The line wasn't good last year (although improved late in the season) but I loved ISU still trying to run the ball and put DM's explosiveness always on the table.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I don't care who's getting the ball--the more legit threats there are, the better.

The line wasn't good last year (although improved late in the season) but I loved ISU still trying to run the ball and put DM's explosiveness always on the table.

Did forget to mention our biggest threat......DM!

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
The loss of Lazard of course hurts he is the best wide receiver in the history of the program. We certanly arent lacking for play-makers though David Montgomery, Kene Nwangwu, Hakeem Butler, Matthew Eaton, Deshaunte Jones, Chase Allen...

After watching the 'Standard Raised' documentary last night, I really think Matt Eaton is gonna have a break out year. I didn't realize how many great plays he had last year, and he was essentially 3rd behind Butler and Lazard.

Also, it's worth keeping an eye on Joseph Scates this spring/fall...

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
After watching the 'Standard Raised' documentary last night, I really think Matt Eaton is gonna have a break out year. I didn't realize how many great plays he had last year, and he was essentially 3rd behind Butler and Lazard.

Also, it's worth keeping an eye on Joseph Scates this spring/fall...

Jalen Martin seemed to be a big body against KU there as well. It'll be interesting to see how he's coming along.

Reactions: cyfan21 and ComCY

Help Support Us

Become a patron