MONDAY MUSINGS: Best-case scenario for hoops recruiting

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Do transfers still "scrimmage" with the team on their visit? or was that just a rumor I heard somewhere that Fred used to have guys do that and report back to him?

• Informative
Reactions: FinalFourCy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
@ChrisMWilliams , what's the deadline for a player to transfer and still be eligible for next season? Is there a possibility of a ripple effect as this first wave of transfers make their decisions on where they're going, like a second tier of grad transfers who for whatever reason are unhappy with the players coming in?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Looks like CSP and his staff have done their homework, and found some promising candidates for next season. With roster turnover a fact of life now, I would guess this procedure has gotten to be a 24/7/365 proposition.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
@ChrisMWilliams , what's the deadline for a player to transfer and still be eligible for next season? Is there a possibility of a ripple effect as this first wave of transfers make their decisions on where they're going, like a second tier of grad transfers who for whatever reason are unhappy with the players coming in?

Didn't Lard have like 7-10 days after the fall semester started to get to campus and still be eligible?

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
If we get Edwards my guess is that we are only going to take on one sit out transfer. But if we get Brown I think we take on two sit outs. Brown and Juiston would make the roster whole for next year to me. Really hoping we go with the two sit out route as that would also give Mcneil and J. Long a chance as they seem like they have potential.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If we get Edwards my guess is that we are only going to take on one sit out transfer. But if we get Brown I think we take on two sit outs. Brown and Juiston would make the roster whole for next year to me. Really hoping we go with the two sit out route as that would also give Mcneil and J. Long a chance as they seem like they have potential.
If we can recruit over guys, we should do it imo.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

MRN4ISU

Jan 23, 2012
Ames (Moville)
Talked with Walters and Heft at Cy's House, and they had some good insights:

• Lindell should be a 5 star, one of the most talented kids JW had watched
  • Shayok and Morrow are likely to end up here. Said at the two closed scrimmages with Nebby, they were terrible when Morrow was out and that when he was in, no one could stop him. The coaches took note and called when he announced he was transferring. Apparently Prohm and Shayok got a long really well, and Shayok fit with the team well also
  • They thought we would get one of either Brown or Edwards
  • Weren't confident on any of the other guys
  • Also, both really like this year's team across the board, for what it's worth. Concerned about linebacker and some of the JUCO guys being ready but that's about it

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Getting a combination of those options could be (by far?) the best recruiting class in ISU history with what we already have signed. I don't know how likely it is though. Each of those players we're looking at has a handful of others teams that want him too. I have to think it's most likely we get maybe two of those guys and then some lesser candidates.

I just hope people don't get too disappointed if that happens because it seems we need to collectively cool our jets a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: LLCoolCY

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

• Shayok and Morrow are likely to end up here. Said at the two closed scrimmages with Nebby, they were terrible when Morrow was out and that when he was in, no one could stop him. The coaches took note and called when he announced he was transferring. Apparently Prohm and Shayok got a long really well, and Shayok fit with the team well also
  • Also, both really like this year's team across the board, for what it's worth. Concerned about linebacker and some of the JUCO guys being ready but that's about it

Thanks for sharing. Should be a fun month of seeing if Walters and the staff is right.
Curious was Juiston brought up? or are they not as confident in his commitment?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The best case situation I think would be
Juiston
Brown
Shayock
Morrow

I don't think it will happen because Edwards will probably commit.

I agree with this but the staff does appear to be really high on Edwards so I'll be happy if we get him too

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Thanks for the info. Hopefully that's just an oversight on not mentioning Juiston. We don't seem to have a backup plan.

Brown and Juiston make it 7. Miss on both, hmm..

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Thanks for sharing. Should be a fun month of seeing if Walters and the staff is right.
Curious was Juiston brought up? or are they not as confident in his commitment?
I think they must feel pretty good about Juiston committing after the news coming out on the Memphis transfers to KU. Unless UNLV, UNLVs us again... (which I wouldn't be surprised at all happening)

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I agree with this but the staff does appear to be really high on Edwards so I'll be happy if we get him too

Someone posted a link to one of his games recently and I came away impressed. We've been thinking of him as a shooter only, but in that game at least, he seemed like much more. He was great with the drive and kick and just play making in general.

igraves679

Aug 9, 2016
I think they must feel pretty good about Juiston committing after the news coming out on the Memphis transfers to KU. Unless UNLV, UNLVs us again... (which I wouldn't be surprised at all happening)
I haven't been covering Kansas' situation as much. Is Kansas out on juiston?