Monday Commit

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
Would you acknowledge the fact that he does not need to be as accurate if he was given a scholarship to kick off and punt? It is possible that that are very aware that he missed those field goals and they do not care because he is going to be our kick off man and punter.

Kickoff man is all I'm seeing from him if that, punter is a definite no.

If he can return to his old form he can be all 3.

But thats something I'll let him worry about.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Kickoff man is all I'm seeing from him if that, punter is a definite no.

If he can return to his old form he can be all 3.

But thats something I'll let him worry about.

Just looking at some of his stats from this past season. He does not look like he would be a punter without vast improvement. But he would have a couple of years to improve that since we will still have Brandtner around.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Something tells me that with an 0-9 season, and what seems like 0 for decade, the coaching staff over there isn't what I would call spectacular. Did you ever think that maybe he struggled this year on FG's because something got messed up that a good coach would be able to fix and get him straightened out?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I don't see the issue here. Jamie Kohl, who runs an excellent kicking camp and is an EXPERT in the field, says he has performed well. Also, Grant isn't going to show up and be handed the kicking duties. There will be competition for the position. If he isn't the best guy on the team, he won't be our kicker. What's the big deal??

dundermifflin

Nov 14, 2007
i guess if the team is that bad there is probably a chance the holder could not even get the ball on the tee.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
i guess if the team is that bad there is probably a chance the holder could not even get the ball on the tee.

Agreed, there is more that goes into in-game kicking stats than just the kicker. How was the snap? How was the hold. How was the blocking. Was the kicker thrown out of sync by any of the above? Was there a block or tip of the ball, etc.

Based on the team record, morale was probably low or non-existant. I doubt many people on the field cared about the game and just wanted the season over and done without getting hurt.

Nov 22, 2006
Why are all you guys quick to jump on Howie. He is just giving information from someone he has seen up close. With that said, I have heard the same thing. I have an uncle who has seen him kick quite a bit and said he has gotten worse as his high school career went on. Hopefully he can turn the ship back around.

Also the coaches brought him in for FG's. Guyer has the much stronger leg and will be doing the kickoffs. If anybody switched to punter it would be Guyer

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

I was thinking the same thing. How good was the snapper and the holder? Plus the line? 0-9 team. Good chance they were completely incompetent. Mahoney wins 4-5 camp competitions, so he definitely has some talent and some tools. Chizik must have seen something. He can't be any worse than the other busts we have put on scholarship.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
I was thinking the same thing. How good was the snapper and the holder? Plus the line? 0-9 team. Good chance they were completely incompetent. Mahoney wins 4-5 camp competitions, so he definitely has some talent and some tools. Chizik must have seen something. He can't be any worse than the other busts we have put on scholarship.

I don't remember who the snapper was, but I do know the holder was Mitch Mahmens for the most part, and he is a good holder.

Our O-Line is good, we just have a terrible defense and no real starting quarterback with the most limited potential out of the backfield and wideout corps you'll ever see in HS football.

Our sophomore team could beat the varsity...:sad:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't remember who the snapper was, but I do know the holder was Mitch Mahmens for the most part, and he is a good holder.

Our O-Line is good, we just have a terrible defense and no real starting quarterback with the most limited potential out of the backfield and wideout corps you'll ever see in HS football.

Our sophomore team could beat the varsity...:sad:

If your sophomore team could beat the varsity why weren't they playing? This sounds like the most incompetent coaching staff in history.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Methinks there is more to this than we're getting from a local source.

To close out my time in this thread, I'm glad we have the kid. Competition at the kicking position has been desperately lacking and now we're going to have it.

Let the best leg win.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Howie3310 has some fan Ray Finkel-itis going on or something not sure but maybe Grant missed alot of kicks because of your stalker tendencies. Just stop making him football shaped cookies with the laces out and I'm sure he'll get back to normal. Also, getting out of the 319 maybe a good change of scenery for Grant.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
Howie3310 has some fan Ray Finkel-itis going on or something not sure but maybe Grant missed alot of kicks because of your stalker tendencies. Just stop making him football shaped cookies with the laces out and I'm sure he'll get back to normal. Also, getting out of the 319 maybe a good change of scenery for Grant.

Stalker tendencies? If you're saying me going to all of our games is being a stalker, you're a moron. :yes:

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Maybe Grant got too much coaching after his junior year. How often does it happen that someone starts to do well then the experts come in and say "Great. Now all you have to do is change this and that a little bit and you will be even better." Then the player tries to incorporate the suggestions and loses all of the synergy they had going for them.

I've never done anything great but every time I do something somewhat well, someone has a suggestion for me to improve and I start all over. Perfect example = my golf game.

Maybe all Grant has to do is to practice, practice, practice and go into the game and play like he practices. I wonder if he didn't get some suggestions during summer camps and, even if they were good suggestions, he may not have them down pat yet. Hopefully there is time.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I go to school with Grant and he might be one of the worst kickers I've ever seen. Sorry. Not a great pick-up.

The Ray Finkle reference is priceless, does this guy have a hate shrine to Dan Marino in his room with the words DIE DAN DIE scrawled in red with knives sticking out of Marinos face?

On the other hand, Howie says he goes to school with Grant, isn't today a school day and hasn't this thread been going on most of the day?

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
The Ray Finkle reference is priceless, does this guy have a hate shrine to Dan Marino in his room with the words DIE DAN DIE scrawled in red with knives sticking out of Marinos face?

On the other hand, Howie says he goes to school with Grant, isn't today a school day and hasn't this thread been going on most of the day?

Snow day...:dull:

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
hate to rain on whoever wants guyer to be a punters parade but he aint that good but roosevelts 6'6" 220lb punter averaged circa 40 yards a kick being told to do mostly directional kicks and he was accurate to.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
AH SHUT UP STOP BASHING RECRUITS!!!!!!!!!!! :skeptical:
hahaha this coming from the guy whos been saying that mahoney is gonna suck for us. the thing is that mahoney and guyer can kick circles around anyone thats wasting their time on this thread, and who ever shows up and kicks the best will get the job... plain and simple. everyone just needs to shut up and relax