Monday Commit

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
You don't become a D1 coach without being a good judge of talent and potential. The coaches obviously see something they like.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
If he somehow gets his s*** together and plays like he did his sophomore and junior seasons, hell, all the more power to him.

But as of lately he is pathetic.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm pretty much going to ignore a teenager that has first-hand knowledge of the kid. Especially one that seems to have bitter undertones when talking about this kid....and...when the recruiting gurus have a very positive opinion of this kid.

Good luck breaking away from the defeated seasons out there.

dundermifflin

Nov 14, 2007
does not sound like he kicked off too much this year, but when he did could he kick it deep? It may be that he received a scholarship for his length and not accuracy. With the rule changes you almost need to scholarships for kickers. Did someone say he was punting as well?

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Come on ISU fan, I really enjoyed the leadership of Carl Gomez in 2001, when we went 9-3. It was all him. I mean you know the 5% of the plays in the game he was in on.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
does not sound like he kicked off too much this year, but when he did could he kick it deep. It may be that he received a scholarship for his length and not accuracy. With the rule changes you almost need to scholarships for kickers. Did someone say he was punting as well?

If that's the case I love the pickup. We need somebody to put it out the back of the endzone. Field position killed us this year.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
I'm pretty much going to ignore a teenager that has first-hand knowledge of the kid. Especially one that seems to have bitter undertones when talking about this kid....and...when the recruiting gurus have a very positive opinion of this kid.

Good luck breaking away from the defeated seasons out there.

From what I see them talking about him, it looks like they watched him in his junior season and then didn't make sure to check back this year. :smile:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
So true. If all this kid can do is drool on himself and kick the ball into the end zone, it's a damn good get for us.

Field position did kill us last fall and it's a huge part of the game.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
does not sound like he kicked off too much this year, but when he did could he kick it deep? It may be that he received a scholarship for his length and not accuracy. With the rule changes you almost need to scholarships for kickers. Did someone say he was punting as well?

He does punt as well.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
I just looked back, and I remember now that we were 3 kicks away from being 3-6...all of those missed by Grant in clutch situations when the game was tied.

Wide right, not enough on it, wide right again, take your pick.

It's kind of sad when we're playing a good basketball game and they put Grant in and then we have to hear it from the other teams fans..."Make a field goal!" and "Wide right!" and "Just like football!"

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I just looked back, and I remember now that we were 3 kicks away from being 3-6...all of those missed by Grant in clutch situations when the game was tied.

Wide right, not enough on it, wide right again, take your pick.

It's kind of sad when we're playing a good basketball game and they put Grant in and then we have to hear it from the other teams fans..."Make a field goal!" and "Wide right!" and "Just like football!"

What are you trying to prove? The guy's accepted an offer. He's on the team. Shut up?

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
I'm trying to say he's not as good as everyone else is saying and we should have gone after someone who is a little more conisistent.

And it is still only a verbal commitment, still 2 weeks to change his mind I guess.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So you're saying that you're more of an expert than Jamie Kohl. All I need to know right there. Thanks.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
So were you his holder or worse yet the 2nd team kicker (I know, probably the 2nd best player on your team). Did you miss out on your chance for stardom because Grant missed the kick with all of the scouts in attendance hoping to evaluate you?

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
He didn't steal my girlfriend, I'm not the second kicker, I'm not on the team.

But you guys need to hear me out here, the #1 thing I want from a kicker is consistency. Grant Mahoney has proven to be the exact opposite, he went from being a 3 maybe a 4 star prospect his junior year (a great season) to completely dropping off the radar this year. He didn't look anything like his junior year. He was terrible. Too many missed kicks, extra points, not enough on his punts or kickoffs. It was ugly.

Like I said, if he can get his stuff together, good for him. I'm just giving you guys the facts.

dundermifflin

Nov 14, 2007
Would you acknowledge the fact that he does not need to be as accurate if he was given a scholarship to kick off and punt? It is possible that that are very aware that he missed those field goals and they do not care because he is going to be our kick off man and punter.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
all i know for sure is that i haven't seen this kid play. there are 2 sides to the story. one guy says that he has done very well at camps, and one says that he struggled in game action. i like hearing as much about the kids we are recruiting as i can. time will tell whether or not the kid does well at the next level.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm considering this move as insurance. After all, the last two placekickers ISU signed (Josh Griebahn and Chris Mahoski) both were injured before even setting foot on the turf at Jack Trice. Plus, with Brandtner a junior, one or the other could eventually succeed him, since both appear to ahve strong legs. However, we're still a long way from knowing that we finally have a quality kicker.

Then there's the fact that until signing day, we don't know that both are actually receiving scholarships. After all, various other players have announced that they are "committed", then it turns out that they are grey shirts, will be walking on, or in one elusive case, "signed a contract" to receive a scholarship in their junior year. Never heard from that guy again.

I am glad that Chizik doesn't seem to be under pressure to sign Iowa kids just to be signing Iowa kids, the way McCarney was. That quota that the administration put him on was probably what killed Mac's program. Doesn't do much good when you're throwing away a good percentage of your roster every year. Those twenty-odd scholarships might have helped. I don't care what they say, signing Iowa kids just because their scholarships cost less, or whatever other reason, just drives the program into the ground.