Moe Cason looking to open BBQ restaurant in DM

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Gates is great but Q39 and Joe's are both better IMO. LC's is also a less talked about gem in KC.

I've not been to either of those. As someone said, I was beyond disappointed with Arthur Bryants. I was absolutely starving so about any food should have been good at the time but I had to choke down my meat. Burnt End BBQ was ok. I'd get it again but just not my favorite.
Unfortunately I can't remember the latest bbq place i had in KC. Again, it was ok, not great.

We have soccer tourney's down there and I try to get to a place each time but it is hard sometimes with game times etc...

Reactions: StateThrowdown

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I may need to give Smokey D's another chance with the way you guys are talking about. I personally thought it was average. For me, Unrvld has the best BBQ in Des Moines.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I may need to give Smokey D's another chance with the way you guys are talking about. I personally thought it was average. For me, Unrvld has the best BBQ in Des Moines.

I tried it because of this thread and it was about what I remembered, kind of meh. It’s good but not great. It is somewhat of a lower price point than unrvld and Kued though.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I'm in the same boat. I've only been there once and was super excited but super disappointed. Its definitely not fair to judge on one trip though everybody i was with sorta agreed it was nothing special.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
lol...so many opinions on BBQ...even the best in competitions will tell you it's subjective at best. Go to a place you like and if they call what you're eating BBQ, ok.

some of you may not remember George Battle of Battle's BBQ. His was pretty damn good and had no hype...just a good BBQ sandwich, some tasty texas toast and Thelonius Monk playing overhead. Maybe a side of beans if I felt frisky.

Battles was some good BBQ! Was a hidden gem in Ames. Liked it better when it was located in the old hole in the wall place before they moved it to the bigger location on Welch with the liquor store occupying the other part

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I think a lot of people need to realize that smoking on a daily basis and keeping consistent is not easy. That’s why I appreciate Smokey D’s. They run through hundreds a day and keep a very quality product going. I’m sure they probably could knock
Our socks off if they just were cooking for a garage party
Staff and quality of meat they get from their suppliers will be his biggest hurdles. Also can he get people to leave downtown to come for lunch as I dont think there are many businesses around there.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I think a lot of people need to realize that smoking on a daily basis and keeping consistent is not easy. That’s why I appreciate Smokey D’s. They run through hundreds a day and keep a very quality product going. I’m sure they probably could knock
Our socks off if they just were cooking for a garage party

Agreed. As I heard pit master once say, There's a big difference between making a meal for 250 people versus 250 meals for 250 people. Regardless of quality level, any place that offer decent consistency gets respect in my book.

Moe has the smack talk and shtick to be successful. But his ability to crank out consistently good food will be his biggest challenge.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Mo's an idiot. He's stirred up quite a **** storm in the competition world with those comments where he was already very unpopular. He's has never won anything, his Jack invite last year was a loophole ******** invite. Maybe someday he'll realize that pr in a town where you want to open a restaurant is much different than TV banter with Myron Mixon. The owner of Smokey D's has done more for Iowa BBQ on a random Monday afternoon than Big Mo' ever has or will.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

5+ years ago Smokey’s Ds was amazing. But the last few times we’ve had it over the last 1-2 years, its been good but nothing like before. Not sure what, if anything, changed. Kued has been our new go-to. Havent tried Unrvld but have heard great things.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I had Smokey Ds this weekend and unrvld last weekend. Having them back to back, unrvld is far and away better for the meats I had and the Mac and cheese. The pulled chicken at Smokey Ds was great but the pulled pork was dry and flavorless. The Mac and cheese had little flavor outside of black pepper.

Smokey Ds is alright but unrvld and Kued are far and away better for the meats I’ve had. I’m sure a lot of it is the size of the establishments and how many people file through in a single day.

All three are better than Jethros. The only thing I’ve really liked there are the smoked wings.

Unrvld is definitely good but they are only open 3 days a week. Like others have said there is something to be said about being open every day and serving the amount of people that they do and still serving great BBQ. If they were to close down for four days and then be open Friday - Sunday I bet they would knock your ******* socks off.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Battles was some good BBQ! Was a hidden gem in Ames. Liked it better when it was located in the old hole in the wall place before they moved it to the bigger location on Welch with the liquor store occupying the other part

The OG location in Ames was legendary. Free refills on lemonade, too!

Reactions: CYdTracked

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Unrvld is definitely good but they are only open 3 days a week. Like others have said there is something to be said about being open every day and serving the amount of people that they do and still serving great BBQ. If they were to close down for four days and then be open Friday - Sunday I bet they would knock your ******* socks off.

I get that but as it sits, Smokey Ds chose to be open 7 days a week and add a location downtown. They chose quantity. Unrvld has one location open three days a week. They chose quality. Right or wrong, Unrvld has a better product whereas Smokey Ds probably brings in more cash but the topic here is who has better BBQ, not who made the best business decision.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Mo's an idiot. He's stirred up quite a **** storm in the competition world with those comments where he was already very unpopular. He's has never won anything, his Jack invite last year was a loophole ******** invite. Maybe someday he'll realize that pr in a town where you want to open a restaurant is much different than TV banter with Myron Mixon. The owner of Smokey D's has done more for Iowa BBQ on a random Monday afternoon than Big Mo' ever has or will.

If he gets it open, the restaurant won’t lie.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I've not been to either of those. As someone said, I was beyond disappointed with Arthur Bryants. I was absolutely starving so about any food should have been good at the time but I had to choke down my meat. Burnt End BBQ was ok. I'd get it again but just not my favorite.
Unfortunately I can't remember the latest bbq place i had in KC. Again, it was ok, not great.

We have soccer tourney's down there and I try to get to a place each time but it is hard sometimes with game times etc...
Yeah Bryant's isn't good. Obviously subjective but my KC list after living here for about 6 years is
1a - Q39
1b - Joes
2 - LCs
3 - Char Bar (great for brunch)
4 - BBs
5 - Gates
6 - Jack Stack

Reactions: JP4CY

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Oh my I forgot about Short Es, good stuff!

We also live kind of close to Kue'd, I really like their stuff!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yeah Bryant's isn't good. Obviously subjective but my KC list after living here for about 6 years is
1a - Q39
1b - Joes
2 - LCs
3 - Char Bar (great for brunch)
4 - BBs
5 - Gates
6 - Jack Stack
I just don't understand the love for Joe's. I tried it once. The ribs were decent, the turkey was like grocery store deli counter meat and the potato salad was inedible. I got there right at opening and when I left the line was almost out the door. I would never wait in line for that.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
It really depends what people eat at these places. Different places do different meats better. I generally judge a place by the pulled pork and brisket. Even then some places are consistent.