Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Jethro's is like if John Taffer made a BBQ place

Their wings are ******* great, and I like a lot of their sandwiches, sides, and salads. Great brunch too. Decent beer and drink selection as well.

But their BBQ is just not even remotely close to noteworthy. Been over a decade since I've actually ordered BBQ from them.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Zero clue about these places since I never, ever get to these sides of town but I've heard Rolling Smoke is good, don't hear much about Big Al's other than his commercials.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I'm the opposite. I'm not impressed with Jack Stack at all. My top tier of KC is Slaps and Smokin' Guns. I also enjoy the classics like Gates and Arthur Bryants. For Iowa, I do compare Smokey Ds on the same tier as the top KC places. Mo may find out its a little harder mass producing perfect bbq at a restaurant consistently day after day than just doing one Waygu brisket at a competition once a weekend.

Slaps in KC is the best BBQ in that town by far, I am shocked it is not brought up more.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'll go with the unpopular opinion that Jethro's can actually kick out decent ribs every 2 out of 3 times. At least the Ankeny location, but it has been a while since I've been there.

The Jethro's owner talking about being IA nice seemed right about on par though...

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Slaps in KC is the best BBQ in that town by far, I am shocked it is not brought up more.

I'll have to try it my next trip down there. Did Arthur Bryant's last time and was greatly disappointed. Plow Boys has become my new favorite, dethroning the trio of Joe's, Jack Stack, and Q39. I need to try Hayward's again. Was there years ago and it was great.

Reactions: dawgpound

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I miss Uncle Wendell's on Ingersoll, I assume they were a pandemic casualty.
I think that didn't help. I think he always like the Farmers Market bread stuff more.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Smokey D's is the best but their brisket is mediocre. Their Mac is the best food ever anywhere.

Haven't tried Brent's new play but really want to. Love the Kolaches.

Jethros isn't barbeque. Not sure why they're even in the conversation.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Flying Mango is my favorite in DSM and I probably prefer it to Q39, Jack Stack, and Joe's. Pre pandemic, I checked out Hawq Jaw in KC, it was ok but nothing better than local BBQ. Whatcha Smokin in Luther is also decent. LC's in KC is good.

The one place I want to check out in KC is Slap's.

I have nothing against Jethros but I usually eat a tenderloin. They also have good spicy corn.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
He’s right about Jethro’s actual BBQ. I love a lot of stuff on their menu, but not the BBQ. It’s a step above Hickory Park.

He’s wrong about DSM as a whole. Kue’d is better than Central in Memphis and on par with Joe’s in KC. Woody’s was always good, as was Uncle Wendell’s, and Smokey D’s rep speaks for itself. And while not Des Moines, Cornbred is as good as any of ‘em.

I've always thought Woody's was among the best, pulled pork is stellar. Haven't had it for a while, did they switch owners or something?

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
No idea. I don't get around Des Moines a ton these days and haven't to Woody's in awhile.
Woody's closed a few years ago, then reopened under new ownership, but then that owner died. I want to say it changed its name to Stew's Smoke Shack but I haven't been there since. It's a real shame because Woody's was phenomenal and had the sheet pan cornbread

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So is talking sh!t a thing amongst BBQ competitors, or is this guy just a d!ck who thinks you can't make good BBQ if you aren't black?

If you ever watch the BBQ Pitmasters competitions on the Destination channel they all run their mouths about how they have the best BBQ.

That being said I wouldn't mind trying Moe's BBQ but if it is priced anything like his BBQ sauce is in the stores it's going to be expensive. Bought a bottle of his BBQ sauce a couple years ago for like $8 and didn't think it was anything special and sure as hell can find better sauce than his for half the price. Ironically a few months later Hy-Vee had the sauce on clearance so must not have sold well.

Locally Smokey D's and Kued are my favorites and the owner of Kued was one of the orignal owners of Smokey D's so that is not surprising. Shad won one of the seasons of BBQ Pitmasters too and was one of the runner ups in the all-star season too so his food speaks for itself. I want to try Big Al's and Unrvld some time too as I hear they are both good. The one thing I chuckle at is whenever someone mention's Jethro's as good BBQ. It doesn't come close to Kued or Smokey D's nor most places in KC. I call it fake BBQ because there is not a lot of smoke to their meats and their quality has gone down since they expanded from the original location location IMO. Plus now that we know what a POS their owner is too that's another reason I will avoid going there again. In KC I love Gates. Arthur Bryant's makes an awesome hot beef sandwich, and Jack Stack is OK but their sides are usually better than their meats. A hidden gem in Iowa if you are ever in the Storm Lake area is Smokin Hereford. They won the best burger in Iowa a few years ago but also have some good smoked meats on their menu too.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Every time I tried to go to Kued, it was packed and they had no seats. This was pre-pandemic. I assume they offer carryout?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Flying Mango is my favorite in DSM and I probably prefer it to Q39, Jack Stack, and Joe's. Pre pandemic, I checked out Hawq Jaw in KC, it was ok but nothing better than local BBQ. Whatcha Smokin in Luther is also decent. LC's in KC is good.

The one place I want to check out in KC is Slap's.

I have nothing against Jethros but I usually eat a tenderloin. They also have good spicy corn.
Some love for LC's I really like their wings and beans. Sounds like I need to try Flying Mango and Kued in the Metro some time.