Moe Cason looking to open BBQ restaurant in DM

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I know everything (especially bbq) is personal preference and all, and that people rave about Q39, but we have tried Q39 several times when we visited KC and it has never been good. My food or my wife’s, every time. I just don’t get it. We did like Jackstack, and have had several great meals there... but you do pay for it.
Actually something great at Jack's is the BBQ shrimp. I always get their beans too.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
for those of you who don't know Kue'd out in Waukee is owned by Shad Kirton who used to be Darren Warth's partner for Smokey D's originally. Shad was the one who won TLC's Pitmaster challenge in the 2nd season against Moe's team in the final.

Reactions: dawgpound

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
for those of you who don't know Kue'd out in Waukee is owned by Shad Kirton who used to be Darren Warth's partner for Smokey D's originally. Shad was the one who won TLC's Pitmaster challenge in the 2nd season against Moe's team in the final.

Good? I've had food prepared by TV and TV competition show chefs, and wasn't all that impressed. One that did blow me away was Rick Bayless' Mexican in Chicago. Life changer.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Easy there. You are sounding just like a ToE football coach.
How so? He's using the word soul when talking about food. Soul food is traditional southern black cuisine. That's not even controversial. Iowa BBQ doesn't have "soul". What do you think he's talking about in that article?

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Where has this guy been? Native of DSM, but hasn't lived in DSM for a while? Interesting strategy coming in and telling a city how much its food sucks.

He still lives in Des Moines. Never left. South of Drake on Kingman. If you bothered to read the article, you would see the caption in his picture stating that it was taken in front of his home this week.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I know everything (especially bbq) is personal preference and all, and that people rave about Q39, but we have tried Q39 several times when we visited KC and it has never been good. My food or my wife’s, every time. I just don’t get it. We did like Jackstack, and have had several great meals there... but you do pay for it.
Agreed. I guess maybe the Q39 expectations were set too high.....it was....okay.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I had his BBQ and it is some of the best I have ever had. However, what’s it going to be like when he has to cook it for the masses, every day. That’s what I appreciate about Smokey D’s and Kued. It’s still good cooking it day to day. The more good bbq, the better chance they put Jethros out of business.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
He still lives in Des Moines. Never left. South of Drake on Kingman. If you bothered to read the article, you would see the caption in his picture stating that it was taken in front of his home this week.

So he's lived in DSM for 40+ years, is a BBQ legend on TV, has never opened a BBQ restaurant in his city, and talks sh*t about others who have had the stones to open a BBQ restaurant in DSM and have succeeded?

Seems like a doosh to me.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They have Cornbread?
Yes.
And makes me think of Woodys old place that had a sheet pan of it.
He then kinda sold out to Mullets.

FYI: last I knew Wendell is mostly done with que.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
I'm the opposite. I'm not impressed with Jack Stack at all. My top tier of KC is Slaps and Smokin' Guns. I also enjoy the classics like Gates and Arthur Bryants. For Iowa, I do compare Smokey Ds on the same tier as the top KC places. Mo may find out its a little harder mass producing perfect bbq at a restaurant consistently day after day than just doing one Waygu brisket at a competition once a weekend.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Good? I've had food prepared by TV and TV competition show chefs, and wasn't all that impressed. One that did blow me away was Rick Bayless' Mexican in Chicago. Life changer.
Kue'd yes it is worth the drive out there. that and Shad and Angie have always been great to myself and family over the years, so if we have time we try to make it over there when ever we are back home.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I had his BBQ and it is some of the best I have ever had. However, what’s it going to be like when he has to cook it for the masses, every day. That’s what I appreciate about Smokey D’s and Kued. It’s still good cooking it day to day. The more good bbq, the better chance they put Jethros out of business.

Jethros is a different market. Theyre a barbecue flavored sports bar.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Smokey D's is better than the BBQ I had in Memphis. I've had BBQ at a handful of places in KC, Smokey D's is better than all of them except Gates BBQ. Man I love Gates.

I can't get enough of that Gates sauce. It's so good.

• Agree
Reactions: twojman and ATCy

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
I'm the opposite. I'm not impressed with Jack Stack at all. My top tier of KC is Slaps and Smokin' Guns. I also enjoy the classics like Gates and Arthur Bryants. For Iowa, I do compare Smokey Ds on the same tier as the top KC places. Mo may find out its a little harder mass producing perfect bbq at a restaurant consistently day after day than just doing one Waygu brisket at a competition once a weekend.

Yeah it’s definitely preference. I agree on the other places you mentioned. Everyone else I know loves Q39. At Jackstack, my absolute favorite is the crown prime beef rib. Amazing, but pricey. I also had a great burnt ends experience there.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Brent "Big Play" Curvey. He has two kolache shops (Drake neighborhood and Clive).

He and DeAndre Jackson are behind Unrvld, which is on EP True.

Knew about the Kolache shops, remember his FB days just didn't put it all together. Thanks for explaining it.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
Yeah it’s definitely preference. I agree on the other places you mentioned. Everyone else I know loves Q39. At Jackstack, my absolute favorite is the crown prime beef rib. Amazing, but pricey. I also had a great burnt ends experience there.
I really enjoyed Zarda’s too. They have thin sliced smoked sausage that was amazing. Sauces are excellent too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron