Mizoo Lack of Attendance

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Especially when you consider the Mizzou fans (if you can call them fans) were threatening to pull their donations, threatening to cancel their season tickets, etc... if the Mizzou Administrators didn't make the move to put Mizzou in the SEC.

So let's get this straight... Mizzou's stadium is an embarrassment, the rug they have is so worn out that their star RB hit the triple crown of knee injuries in the Texas game potentially ending his career, their fans can't even come close to filling their stadium, yet their fans were pushing like hell to make a move to the SEC where every year will be a death march for the Tigers? That makes perfect sense doesn't it? Meth is one hell of a drug. :confused:
If you think Faurot Field is an embarrassment, how can you go to games in JTS? The only things JTS has going for it are a natural grass field and new videoboard. Faurot Field is better in about every other way.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A 9th conference game is HIGHLY unlikely--in fact the official conference line is it will not happen. The coaches/AD's don't want it because it makes winning the national title that much harder. The only people that want it are the media and some fans who have been drinking too much kool-aid.

don't forget the television networks. They want it because conference games make a ton more money than non-conference games. And since they are the ones writing the giant checks, and the fact that so many other conferences are going to 9 game schedules, the SEC may have their hand forced.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Good grief - 2004 called...it wants it's argument back. The current ISU fanbase is nothing like it was in 2004. The 'lost generation' is finally starting to wear off and be less of an issue and they are being replaced by a new/young fanbase. I became an ISU fan in 98' when I was 20 years old. Now I've got a family (and they are ISU fans, etc.) ISU is just now starting to reap the rewards of investing in football in the late 90's.

I think the point is that we shouldn't throw stones on this subject. MU was a strong team in the recent history, this year, not so much. That tends to sour the fan-base. If you don't believe me, check back if CPR has a down year. We are not above this.

But enough of this, screw MIZ-DUI!

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
don't forget the television networks. They want it because conference games make a ton more money than non-conference games. And since they are the ones writing the giant checks, and the fact that so many other conferences are going to 9 game schedules, the SEC may have their hand forced.

Exactly.

It may be SEC's line "were staying at 8 games" but the TV partners are going to decide for them if they want contracts in-line with Big10 and Big12 following the next round of TV contract negotiations for both.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
says the fanbase that couldn't sell out a night crowd against mizzou with the north title on the line. first time in history we could have won the north outright and we couldn't sell out a stadium with 20k fewer seats. now that is truly sad.

i was depressed at that game seeing empty seats. this fan base really has no leg to stand on in terms of attendance. yes, this year was great but how many great attendance years have we ever had? not many.

#1. It was a 1:00pm kickoff for that game.
#2. It was about 20 degrees, spitting snow, and had a nice strong wind blowing out of the north putting the wind chill down into the single digits.
#3. The attendance was 40,626 for that game which for ISU being the last game of the season and horrible weather was actually one of the better attended home games that late in the season.
#4. That game was the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend... I am sure Cyclone fans weren't travelling to be with relatives over the holiday weekend, and I am sure all of the students stuck around over Thanksgiving break for the game rather then going home to be with their family and friends.... :eek:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
says the fanbase that couldn't sell out a night crowd against mizzou with the north title on the line. first time in history we could have won the north outright and we couldn't sell out a stadium with 20k fewer seats. now that is truly sad.

i was depressed at that game seeing empty seats. this fan base really has no leg to stand on in terms of attendance. yes, this year was great but how many great attendance years have we ever had? not many.

Yeah, that did suck, but we were still in a huge hangover from the 2002 season, Add the debacle that was 2003, it was tough for the fans to get excited without that creeping, "Same old ISU" looming in the back of your mind. Look what happened when we got the promise of a new supercoach in Chizik and then especially what has happened in the "I'm so proud!" era. With the energy that was supposed to be in their fanbase of going to the SEC, you'd think they could put more numbers in the seats. There is a reason we jumped them to go to the Insight Bowl and it wasn't because they perceive our fanbase as lackluster. Compare our success since 2005 to theirs, then add their metro population, then realize they aren't competing with another large BCS in-state institution and I believe we do have a leg to stand on as far as making fun of their fan base.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

I don't get why the conferences/networks can't just work out schedules that spread the non-conference games throughout the season. Seems like all the big conferences minus Big 12 and Big Ten already do this to some extent. Unless they start showing college football games every night of the week it's impossible to nationally televise every conference game every night of the week. Just spread the non-conf games out in the schedule and bury them on Tier-3 unless it's a non-conf rivalry or a really juicy match-up. Problem solved.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I think the point is that we shouldn't throw stones on this subject. MU was a strong team in the recent history, this year, not so much. That tends to sour the fan-base. If you don't believe me, check back if CPR has a down year. We are not above this.

But enough of this, screw MIZ-DUI!

Ummm, what do you call last year? We won 2 less games than the previous year (close if not exactly what Mizzou will have this year)...didn't go bowling..got killed/embarrased by our instate rival and lost a heartbreaker to Nebraska at home. I'd call last year a down year compared to CPR's first, no question. How'd the ISU fanbase respond? Record season tickets...record attendance.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Mizzou is a mess: drunk coach, dangerous field, apathetic fan base, rejected by two conferences (Big 10 and Big XII), ignored by the new one and native commits breaking ranks.

What's really sad about this is that Pinkel has done a good job in advancing the program. The Tigers seemed to be building some momentum over the last few years. Some of their core fans really are passionate and loyal. But it somehow still seems like an adequate program in the shadow of two nfl franchises, and now it is moving to a conference where it will be all but ignored by nearly everyone.

It is remarkable how easily replaced they are by West Virginia. I don't even have to accept a new color scheme! The 2010s could very well end up being a lost decade for a team that not that long ago was on the brink of greatness.

All ribbing aside, I think that's too bad.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
And what was going on at the CBE Tourney in KC last night? More than 11K in attendance? I thought everyone in KC hated Missouri now? I suppose a lot of them were UC-Berkeley fans.

A crappy Iowa team drew over 12,000 in Des Moines against a mid-major. This was two ranked teams that played last night in Kansas City.

Kansas City is fast becoming a Jayhawks city.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
If you think Faurot Field is an embarrassment, how can you go to games in JTS? The only things JTS has going for it are a natural grass field and new videoboard. Faurot Field is better in about every other way.

We can only hope to have limestone rocks in our end zone one day. We might have to settle for recycled concrete. Faurot isn't that nice and their tailgating sucks.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire

In 2006 I would agree with you, not now. JT might not be as big, but it is just as good. The only thing really going against JT is the S end zone bleachers look out of place which that is going to get fixed one of these days.

You could make an argument about the press box being small, however, we have suits between the levels instead of all in the press box, that makes a big difference. Think about how big our press box would be if the JT club and suites were all in the press box.

I don't think anyone could say that Faurot Field is an embarrassment, but I do wonder why MU hasn't pumped some money into their stadium with all the on field success they have had over the past few years. I think that is a bit of embarrassment. At the same time it is nonsense to call JT one too.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Mizzou's athletic budget is over 10 million dollars larger per year then that of Iowa State. Mizzou has had fairly significant success on the football field compared to Iowa State for the last 8 or 9 years on top of that. More money and more success and Faurot Field is still a dump. Hell... they can't even take the time to replace the dangerously worn out field turf they have in their stadium...

"Texas Tech had three players injure their knees in Saturday's loss to Missouri. A week earlier, Missouri running back Henry Josey and Texas running back Fozzy Whittaker had season-ending knee injuries on the turf, which prompted rumblings from Texas that the turf was putting players in danger.

After the game, offensive coordinator Neal Brown said the turf was "Not very good." Receiver Bradley Marquez added it "wasn't good at all," and Tuberville said it was "best they take it up."

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
In 2006 I would agree with you, not now. JT might not be as big, but it is just as good. The only thing really going against JT is the S end zone bleachers look out of place which that is going to get fixed one of these days.

You could make an argument about the press box being small, however, we have suits between the levels instead of all in the press box, that makes a big difference. Think about how big our press box would be if the JT club and suites were all in the press box.

I don't think anyone could say that Faurot Field is an embarrassment, but I do wonder why MU hasn't pumped some money into their stadium with all the on field success they have had over the past few years. I think that is a bit of embarrassment. At the same time it is nonsense to call JT one too.

This.

I went to the 2009 game at Mizzou, and in no way would I say that is 'better than JT in every other way'.

Seating capacity FF>JTS. Bowled in FF>JTS. The JTS concourses>FF. The playing field at JT>>>FF. press box at FF>JT probably (I've never been in FF's). Scoreboard JT>FF. Tailgating at JT>>>>>>>FF.

The general environment of FF was a stadium when i went was a stadium that used to be really nice that is really showing its age and need of a face lift.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I would be the first to admit Jack Trice is not a great stadium. No one here is saying JTS is great and no one here is on a Missouri board proclaiming it to be so. Whereas you are on an Iowa State board saying your woefully below average fan attendance and below average stadium is something that is anything other than below average. We can't afford or do we need a great stadium. FF on the other hand is also a dump, to say FF is light years better is insane. Again, there really isn't any argument here. Neither is great.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
why are we hating on mizzou so much? I've always enjoyed their fans and playing against them other than that we can't beat them

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
A few comments about Faurot Field...

Mizzou fan:
"I love Mizzou and the big M is sweet but i really think they need to do something to enclose the sound better. When you see a powerhouse football team and their stadium you are almost in aw about how nice it is and big. Then you look at ours it looks like a practice field. I realize it takes money but it needs to be done."

Non Mizzou fan:
"What a dump. For an alleged major football facility, this place is a dungeon. No wonder the fans act like neanderthals."

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
#1. It was a 1:00pm kickoff for that game.
#2. It was about 20 degrees, spitting snow, and had a nice strong wind blowing out of the north putting the wind chill down into the single digits.
#3. The attendance was 40,626 for that game which for ISU being the last game of the season and horrible weather was actually one of the better attended home games that late in the season.
#4. That game was the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend... I am sure Cyclone fans weren't travelling to be with relatives over the holiday weekend, and I am sure all of the students stuck around over Thanksgiving break for the game rather then going home to be with their family and friends.... :eek:

excuses.