Missing Montezuma Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
The house belongs to the guy who was dating Xavier's mom. He's also the guy named in the inmate story about Tibbitts. He's also the guy who was named by he abducted girl who was drugged and somehow got away.

• Winner
Reactions: Brandon

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The house belongs to the guy who was dating Xavier's mom. He's also the guy named in the inmate story about Tibbitts. He's also the guy who was named by he abducted girl who was drugged and somehow got away.

Sweet Jesus this guy has just left a reign of terror in his wake.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
What people think rural Iowa looks like:

View attachment 91006

What rural Iowa really looks like:

View attachment 91007
Growing up in Rural Iowa, And spending much of my life in Rural Iowa. I can say the top one is what most of the state looks like, with the added hog confinement every mile or so.

The second picture is not an accurate representation of rural Iowa. While there are some houses etc that look something like that, it is not an accurate representation of rural Iowa, and would probably be more accurate of some of the poorer neighborhoods of the larger towns and cities in Iowa and especially of other states, than rural Iowa. This type of house is more like 1 in 1000 in rural Iowa, if that. Venture out and drive around rural areas and towns you wont see that many run down shacks, especially compared to other states and areas.

There might be old homes, and there might be some that need some upkeep or updating, but not many of this level. Meth is bad, but from what I have seen most of the methed out people aren't living in a house, here, they are living in rent controlled and subsidized apartments, otherwise property and rent is too expensive everywhere. Land is breaking records, so any old house is getting torn down because the land is worth more than the house. In towns rent on a house is higher than the rent controlled apts. so those spending every dime on meth are living in the local low income apts. While regular rent in houses and apts is skyrocketing even in rural areas.

Ctrans

Feb 3, 2017
Growing up in Rural Iowa, And spending much of my life in Rural Iowa. I can say the top one is what most of the state looks like, with the added hog confinement every mile or so.

The second picture is not an accurate representation of rural Iowa. While there are some houses etc that look something like that, it is not an accurate representation of rural Iowa, and would probably be more accurate of some of the poorer neighborhoods of the larger towns and cities in Iowa and especially of other states, than rural Iowa. This type of house is more like 1 in 1000 in rural Iowa, if that. Venture out and drive around rural areas and towns you wont see that many run down shacks, especially compared to other states and areas.

There might be old homes, and there might be some that need some upkeep or updating, but not many of this level. Meth is bad, but from what I have seen most of the methed out people aren't living in a house, here, they are living in rent controlled and subsidized apartments, otherwise property and rent is too expensive everywhere. Land is breaking records, so any old house is getting torn down because the land is worth more than the house. In towns rent on a house is higher than the rent controlled apts. so those spending every dime on meth are living in the local low income apts. While regular rent in houses and apts is skyrocketing even in rural areas.
You need to take a trip to Ottumwa if you think meth heads only live in government controlled housing. Parts of Ottumwa look like a third world country.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017

Don't know how long ago you lived in rural Iowa, or what a small town in rural Iowa means to you.

But local law enforcement in rural Iowa would tell you that the environment has drastically changed. The amount of drug activity in rural Iowa, even in very respectable communities, is shocking. Many of the REALLY small towns are known as "meth towns" because there's minimal law enforcement presence, just sheriff's deputies with lots of area to cover. And there are some poor quality homes that meth heads are willing to live in, that nobody else will. Older, more upstanding residents who may not have had great incomes but DID have great character, are aging out of the towns. The better of the small towns keep a push on to tear down the trash houses, which helps a lot, but that takes a lot of effort and support that isn't present anymore in many towns. Not a positive trend, sadly....

Reactions: Gunnerclone

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
You need to take a trip to Ottumwa if you think meth heads only live in government controlled housing. Parts of Ottumwa look like a third world country.

I don't need to leave Ames to see Meth heads. Just last week their was a meth head yelling at cars and flipping people off dressed in just pants and sandals. It was close to the tip top.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Don't know how long ago you lived in rural Iowa, or what a small town in rural Iowa means to you.

But local law enforcement in rural Iowa would tell you that the environment has drastically changed. The amount of drug activity in rural Iowa, even in very respectable communities, is shocking. Many of the REALLY small towns are known as "meth towns" because there's minimal law enforcement presence, just sheriff's deputies with lots of area to cover. And there are some poor quality homes that meth heads are willing to live in, that nobody else will. Older, more upstanding residents who may not have had great incomes but DID have great character, are aging out of the towns. The better of the small towns keep a push on to tear down the trash houses, which helps a lot, but that takes a lot of effort and support that isn't present anymore in many towns. Not a positive trend, sadly....
Spent over 40 years in rural Iowa, most of it in a town of less than 900 people. Last, stint of rural living was 2 years ago on an acreage outside a town of 800, with the closest Walmart over 50 miles away. no town over 5K people for an hour drive. Does that qualify?

I think a lot of what you say is really going on in medium size towns, not the very small towns and especially not in the country because the farmers are tearing down houses and acreages as soon as they go empty for the ground.

But I agree there is a problem out there, I just say what you are describing is really just the few places standing out so much that they draw all the attention, than actually being the norm for the entire area or state.

This is usually the case, if you have one really really horrible looking place then a bunch of totally normal ones, which one stands out, and is memorable, even though it was only 1 place.

Reactions: khardbored

CaptivaCyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 20, 2017
I grew up in rural Iowa and I think it has definitely changed in some areas. I remember my dad saying that when these smaller farms sell and there is an old farmhouse (>50-100 year old) on them the best thing to do is light a match. He said the people that rent them are not going to do good things with them. The man was wise and more people should've listened when he said it.

Reactions: Gunnerclone
Status
Not open for further replies.