Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
BWW is so pricey. Plenty of places to get wings and beer that would cost you about 1/2 as much.

Where is a place in the Metro with good wings?

Jethro's are okay, but that's about all I got off hand.

Chicken Coop? Isn't that a Husker Bar?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'm going to challenge everyone in this thread who says "X is too expensive" to provide two restaurants with equal food at a better price. If X is too expensive we need to know where you go to the cheaper food at the same quality so we can support them.

• Creative
Reactions: capitalcityguy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm going to challenge everyone in this thread who says "X is too expensive" to provide two restaurants with equal food at a better price. If X is too expensive we need to know where you go to the cheaper food at the same quality so we can support them.

Literally anywhere will have better pricing on beer than BWW, that's for sure.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

"Too expensive" meaning it costs more than comparable places or "Too expensive" meaning it costs too much for what you get?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

I love wings at Jethros, Court Ave Brewery, and Felix & Oscars (3rd place of these three) to give you my local go to options. That said, I haven't tried wings at a lot of places. I do like BWW wings FWIW.

Reactions: NickTheGreat

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
When is the last time you heard someone say "Let's go to Applebee's, I'm really craving it"? They literally offer nothing unique or special to draw people in.

At least with BWW, you get games, good beer selection for a chain, and decent wings. Their problem IMO is the cost...when a small boneless is now like $13 + $8 beers - it's difficult to get out of there under $50 for two. The value just isn't there.

The bigger problem is that both places would rather blame millennials than actually adapt to a changing market. Ask McDonald's how that goes...

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka and harimad

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
The issue with all restaurants is quality control. Food quality inevitably goes down. I can't stand BWW, including the wings, never covered in sauce. I get better wings at Applebee's happy hour.
You guys know you can order your wings "wet" and they'll put the sauce on heavy, right?

Reactions: sunnysideup

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
It's hard for me to pay so much for wings anymore. I make good wings at home and make them during football season. I was introduced to wings at The Ground Round when they were given away for free in the bar every night as a way to sell beer. They were hot, but good. I remember everyone was pissed when they started charging a quarter for them.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
It's hard for me to pay so much for wings anymore. I make good wings at home and make them during football season. I was introduced to wings at The Ground Round when they were given away for free in the bar every night as a way to sell beer. They were hot, but good. I remember everyone was pissed when they started charging a quarter for them.

Nickel wing night was so good at The Ground Round! A part of me died inside when the Davenport location closed.

Reactions: urb1

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee

I don't think I've had BWW once since I first tried Chicken Coop a couple years back. The wings are bigger and better priced. Seems to be pretty Cyclone friendly every time I've been there, not sure on the Husker thing.

Reactions: NickTheGreat

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Daytona's used to have the best wings, they were bone in and breaded. Very few have them. It was a **** hole, but good pizza n wings.
If anyone else knows a place with beaded , bone in wings, let me know.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Cheap and high quality? That's a pretty novel idea.

• Funny
Reactions: cowgirl836

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron