Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
same for me. I could probably find something, but I have a lot more appealing options available to me so why would I?

Exactly. It's just not good enough to want to make the effort to even look. I'm not a food snob whatsoever. But I DO have certain standards about what I expect from restaurant food - like it has to be edible once it arrives on my table. I hardly ever send stuff back to the kitchen, but have more than once at Applebee's. My previous opinion of them in this thread says all that needs to be said.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Exactly. It's just not good enough to want to make the effort to even look. I'm not a food snob whatsoever. But I DO have certain standards about what I expect from restaurant food - like it has to be edible once it arrives on my table. I hardly ever send stuff back to the kitchen, but have more than once at Applebee's. My previous opinion of them in this thread says all that needs to be said.

ummm, obviously not lol:p

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I guess I'm not seeing it. When it comes to kids, I don't really see how Applebees separates itself from the pack. There are lots of family friendly restaurants out there. Plenty of places with kids menus, unless you're in an area that has very few options. And it's not like kids menus vary that much. On a kids menu, a cheeseburger is a cheeseburger is a cheeseburger. Restaurants don't typically do a lot of fancy stuff with them. Consistency is sort of the calling card of kids menus.

You'd think that, but several of the local places in my area have pretty questionable kids menu items. A toddler doesn't want a lot of spices in their burger - that's what adults want. The kiddo doesn't want hipster mac and cheese with various meats thrown in there - they want straight M&C, preferable of the Kraft variety.

Luckily, there's a place that's walking distance from our house that has mac and cheese and pizza that he'll eat. If we're out and about, we're probably going to hit a chain.

That being said, I don't think I've seen an Applebees in the area, so we don't have to worry about that one.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I honestly believe that you could take 1/2 the menu from an Applebees, open up a shop in the east village, have an owner with a beard, name it something edgy, jack the prices up by 40%, and there would be lines out the door.

B9315533937Z.1_20150103162900_000_GGF9IL6AH.1-0.jpg

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
You'd think that, but several of the local places in my area have pretty questionable kids menu items. A toddler doesn't want a lot of spices in their burger - that's what adults want. The kiddo doesn't want hipster mac and cheese with various meats thrown in there - they want straight M&C, preferable of the Kraft variety.

Luckily, there's a place that's walking distance from our house that has mac and cheese and pizza that he'll eat. If we're out and about, we're probably going to hit a chain.

That being said, I don't think I've seen an Applebees in the area, so we don't have to worry about that one.
We once went to a restaurant where my daughter ordered mac and cheese off of the kids menu. It had corn in it. She took every single piece of corn out of the mac and cheese before she'd eat it.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
if you're in the suburbs, yes. if you're in a small town perhaps not.

I can absolutely see the appeal there. I don't think my town even had a McDonald's until I graduated college. They got a Subway when I was in high school and that was definitely a go-to. There'd be a new "local" restaurant every few years as the prior one went out of business. Nights out for adults were to the supper club next town over and for the youngers it was one of the good local pizza places. We were small enough that even chains like the ones discussed here were 45-60 minutes away. Probably why I've never really eaten at them. If we were that far from home, it was probably cause we were doing shopping and we just got fast food to take home. They're close by now, but we have too much other good food in our area to enjoy.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
No demographic can be blamed for the success/failures of a business. It's the company's job to identify/create a market demand, and deliver upon those expectations. Franchises like this only have themselves to blame.

Also, every sauce at BWW has an aftertaste of hand soap. The worst galdarn wings I've ever tasted.

• Dislike
Reactions: sunnysideup

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
The issue with all restaurants is quality control. Food quality inevitably goes down. I can't stand BWW, including the wings, never covered in sauce. I get better wings at Applebee's happy hour.

• Disagree
Reactions: CY88CE11

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Purely curious, since I use Yelp for food suggestions when I go places, what is bad about Yelp? If it's not the best way to look up different places, I definitely want to know!
Haven't read anyone's responses to this, but yelp is awful. They filter reviews for people who pay them for ads and for the most part people who leave reviews are mostly people who are dissatisfied. So if 1000 people walk through a restaurant and 10 people were unhappy, about 3 of those leave reviews and most likely they were only the people that were unhappy.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Boneless are good for my 7yo daughter. Once she's 10 she'll eat wings like an adult.
We had our niece stay with us a week a few summers ago. She was 9 at the time. My wife made chicken for one meal and the niece asked what it was and we told her it was chicken. She then asked what was wrong with it which really confused us. Turns out she had never had any sort of chicken with a bone in it nor had her parents eaten any chicken with a bone in it around her. WTF?

Shouldn't be surprised I guess since her mom doesn't like fish so none of the kids have ever tried fish and probably never will. We had a chance to go to an uncle's fish fry when with this family last time. As soon as it was brought up this mom started making gagging noises just to make sure that the kids wouldn't be the least bit enticed to try something different. I don't understand why some people don't grow up when they decide to have kids. Of course as a group we had to leave and go have hot dogs rather than a variety of the uncle's catch from all over North and Central America.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Because I saw someone mention it earlier, I'll throw out that I hate Yelp. The "ratings" are garbage - it's the most recent people that are cranky because they expected to be treated like a princess at a $14 pizza place. I've found their ratings usually don't line up with the quality or service of food. I use it just to look up a place on a map - I don't care if it has 1 star or 5.

Who can recommend something better to me?
Just use Google and the map to find something close to you and is in your interest.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I refuse to Yelp because of their attempts to strongarm small businesses to advertise with them. Yelp continually reached out to a close friend's business to spend advertising dollars on Yelp and when they chose not to, many of the old negative reviews would be the first listed, not the recent great reviews. The were default sorted by "Yelp's suggestions"

This is exactly the truth. To a T.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Maybe toddlers, but as they get to kid status some of them appreciate a good mac & cheese that has real cheese in it. We have had them beg to go to places that had real mac & cheese. Eat out for mac & cheese? Please at least have real cheese in it then.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Also, every sauce at BWW has an aftertaste of hand soap. The worst galdarn wings I've ever tasted

1) I disagree that any of their sauces taste like that, I've loved almost every one I've tried. If not for the prices & service, BWW would be great (wings could be bigger too, of course).
2) I would think after you tried 3-4 varieties of hand soap sauces, that you would stop. Kudos to you for verifying that EVERY sauce they serve has a hand soap aftertaste.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I like going to BWW when its March maddness or NFL season. Other than that, don't even think about it - try to eat more local places. Have not been to an Applebees in 20 year.s

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
We had our niece stay with us a week a few summers ago. She was 9 at the time. My wife made chicken for one meal and the niece asked what it was and we told her it was chicken. She then asked what was wrong with it which really confused us. Turns out she had never had any sort of chicken with a bone in it nor had her parents eaten any chicken with a bone in it around her. WTF?

Shouldn't be surprised I guess since her mom doesn't like fish so none of the kids have ever tried fish and probably never will. We had a chance to go to an uncle's fish fry when with this family last time. As soon as it was brought up this mom started making gagging noises just to make sure that the kids wouldn't be the least bit enticed to try something different. I don't understand why some people don't grow up when they decide to have kids. Of course as a group we had to leave and go have hot dogs rather than a variety of the uncle's catch from all over North and Central America.

Yeah, parents do their kids ZERO favors when they pass on their irrational finicky eating habits. Picky eaters are not born, they are made.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Applebees... the textbook definition of average food and bland atmosphere.

Buffalo Wild Wings - not bad, though I got food poisoning from there and didn't eat it for years afterwards. Wings are considered great by people who haven't ate many places. A decent place to get a beer and watch a game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron