Michigan

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
There will be a lot of unhappy Michigan fans if Brady Hoke has, in fact, been hired.

Why would they be unhappy? He took Ball freaking State to an undefeated regular season and had a previously dormant San Diego State program on the rise and actually competing with TCU in their game toward the end of the season. If fans are disappointed with this hire, they're obviously not very in-depth fans.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why would they be unhappy? He took Ball freaking State to an undefeated regular season and had a previously dormant San Diego State program on the rise and actually competing with TCU in their game toward the end of the season. If fans are disappointed with this hire, they're obviously not very in-depth fans.

12-0, but not like it was against much... and they got destroyed in their last 2 games.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
Brady Hoke is an excellent coach. Turning a program around, something he has done twice now, takes great coaching. He would be a great hire for any university.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
hoke may not be the flashy hire, but the man can flat out coach. turned two terrible programs around, and he'll do a damn good job at michigan

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
hoke may not be the flashy hire, but the man can flat out coach. turned two terrible programs around, and he'll do a damn good job at michigan

Agree. It's hard to believe the San Diego State program of 2010 is the same one that was in a death spiral under Chuck Long. Brady Hoke will turn Michigan back into what they used to be.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I looked at the SD Union-Tribune site and they haven't mentioned it yet. The drive time sports guy was talking like it's a done deal though. I guess nothing can be confirmed yet. He did a heck of a job here at SDSU though, he'd be a good hire anywhere.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Brady Hoke is an excellent coach. Turning a program around, something he has done twice now, takes great coaching. He would be a great hire for any university.

Agree. It's hard to believe the San Diego State program of 2010 is the same one that was in a death spiral under Chuck Long. Brady Hoke will turn Michigan back into what they used to be.

:nah::nah::nah:

:wink:

He'd be a disaster for their program.

Star running backs named DeVondrick would NOT want to play for him.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The problem I have is that if he would have been a coach at Auburn and not Michigan his name would never have even been mentioned. This is a hire to try to unite the fan base and it will not work. At least not in the short term. If he wants to bring a power attack in here, it's a minimum of 4 years before they contend for the Big Ten. I would love to eat crow if something else happens, and I will. This is also one of the worst hires you could make in minimizing attrition and maximizing recruiting. Michigan will now have the **** beat out of them with APR stuff. This has been a disaster from the point he decided to wait until the bowl season was over to make a change. You don't hire Brady Hoke on the 5th of January. You hire Brady Hoke the Monday after the OSU game. Terribly mishandled. I'm not saying Hoke won't succeed, I'm saying it will take awhile and this will absolutely not mend the broken fan base.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You have to keep in mind the sense of entitlement that goes along with being a Michigan fan (i.e., Mr. "I'm too busy to cover ISU athletics right now because I have to cover a real team" back when RichRod was hired in the first place) - they think it's still 20 years ago and think that the Wolverines should be beating the Buckeyes for the Big 10 championship next year. Do I think Hoke is a great hire for Michigan? Yes. Do I think he can turn it around in Ann Arbor? Absolutely. Do I think he's going to get enough time to do it? Probably not, simply because the fans and administrators still think Michigan is not just a relevant program, but an elite program. Hell, this is the fans and administrators that ran Lloyd Carr out of town and into early retirement because he had a few too many 9-3 seasons.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You have to keep in mind the sense of entitlement that goes along with being a Michigan fan (i.e., Mr. "I'm too busy to cover ISU athletics right now because I have to cover a real team" back when RichRod was hired in the first place) - they think it's still 20 years ago and think that the Wolverines should be beating the Buckeyes for the Big 10 championship next year. Do I think Hoke is a great hire for Michigan? Yes. Do I think he can turn it around in Ann Arbor? Absolutely. Do I think he's going to get enough time to do it? Probably not, simply because the fans and administrators still think Michigan is not just a relevant program, but an elite program. Hell, this is the fans and administrators that ran Lloyd Carr out of town and into early retirement because he had a few too many 9-3 seasons.

You are exactly right. Exactly right. The one thing I would say is that Rich Rodriguez was put in a very similar position. He was not given an elite program. You can talk about 06 all you want but that team was a team that feasted on an incredibly weak Big Ten and couldn't beat OSU and got ran out of the Rose Bowl. I said it when he was hired. If you hire him, you have to be prepared for 2-3 years of hell and no Big Ten Championship until at least the fourth year. That is my problem with this whole deal and yes, I know, different AD. IMO, some of the alumni never gave RR a fair shot because he wasn't a "Michigan Man" which is such total ******** anyway. A precedent has been set here. You get three years. If Brady Hoke is hired there is a very great possibility there isn't a returning QB on the roster next year. So, you are in a one year hole already then you get to start a true freshman. That's likely two years. The work is cut out. I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm saying he can't do it fast enough, but he will likely get a little leeway because he's a "Michigan Man" which is so incredibly stupid and has nothing to do with football success.