Metronet buried fiber optic cables.....

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM CENTURYLINK. IF you have a different option, do it. BtW, when you do try to get rid of CENTURYLINK, you will see the real side of that company and how they operate. We had the chance to switch to mi-fiber and haven't looked back.

Eh, we've had CL fiber GB service for the last 3 years with very few issues. We pay $65/month (after taxes/fees) and that's the "price for life", so it doesn't increase every year or 2. In the past year I remember 2 times it's gone down for more than 2 minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: cdface

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Eh, we've had CL fiber GB service for the last 3 years with very few issues. We pay $65/month (after taxes/fees) and that's the "price for life", so it doesn't increase every year or 2. In the past year I remember 2 times it's gone down for more than 2 minutes.

Same. For whatever reason, CL's fiber is pretty good.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
That's great. That's not the case from our experience and others we know.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I would do metronet in a second over CL. I have mifiber right now, it is just rock solid stable and I cannot speedtest my gear because it maxes out the wifi before it maxes out the fiber line. Fiber is the way to go.

Reactions: jdcyclone19

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM CENTURYLINK. IF you have a different option, do it. BtW, when you do try to get rid of CENTURYLINK, you will see the real side of that company and how they operate. We had the chance to switch to mi-fiber and haven't looked back.

I switched to Mediacom for about 3 weeks a year ago and it was so bad I cancelled immediately and went back to CL. Just awful.

I'm intrigued by Metronet but the guys doing the installation in my neighborhood were so bad and so unprofessional I really just don't want to.

For some reason in my neighborhood CL is rock solid, I don't even have that fast of a connection and I never have any issues. It just goes, and for internet that's about all I can ever ask for.

Reactions: Yaz

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

I've had and always despised Centurlink internet service. I was not excited at all that I would be going back to Centurylink as that was the only ISP in my new neighborhood (at the moment of construction). I'll admit that their new Fiber service has been great. I pay $70/mo for 940mbps up/down connection. While it's been great so far, I still plan on jumping to Google Fiber next year once they reach my neighborhood. I just don't trust Centurylink.

Reactions: Yaz

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
I switched to Mediacom for about 3 weeks a year ago and it was so bad I cancelled immediately and went back to CL. Just awful.

I'm intrigued by Metronet but the guys doing the installation in my neighborhood were so bad and so unprofessional I really just don't want to.

For some reason in my neighborhood CL is rock solid, I don't even have that fast of a connection and I never have any issues. It just goes, and for internet that's about all I can ever ask for.

Remember, those were likely contractors working on behalf of metronet.

We have had metronet for about a month now, and have had zero issues and are very happy with the service, and price.

Reactions: CY88CE11

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

We have had metronet for about a month now, and have had zero issues and are very happy with the service, and price.

I'm sure they were. They were still representing the company and were driving trucks with the companies logos. Like it or not, those guys are representing the company and any company that doesn't demand a minimum level of competence even from their contractors I'm not going to trust.

Edit: Mediacom buried cables in my neighborhood just a few years ago with zero issue. Any holes they made they filled in with sod. Metronet had constant issues and all the holes they just threw a handful of grass seed on.

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

And they are the same companies CL uses to bury fiber. It is all outsourced.

• Agree
Reactions: Beernuts

LostinIowaCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 15, 2011
Ames, IA
Centurylink does not give a s### about residential internet service and it shows when you try to contact them. I used their DSL for a long time and it was great for what it was, but DSL don't cut it in 2021 (or 2015 really).

If your options are CL fiber or MetroNet Fiber, I wouldn't feel as strongly, especially if you had a decent price for life guarantee from CL. I've had Metronet for just over a year now and have been incredibly happy.

LostinIowaCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 15, 2011
Ames, IA
One quick question for the group: My 12 month discount is ending at MetroNet. Are they like CL/Mediacom where you can just call and ask to be put on a new special? Or is it just regular pricing going forward? Not a huge deal, but might slide down in speed to keep the price the same.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
I have municipal fiber and its 1 gig for $75. same price as mediacoms 200mb (until I told them I was leaving and all of a sudden they could do better on price). So far its been amazing. no data caps no random mediacom issues.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
When is MetroNet coming to NE Ankeny? We are on Mediacom and since I split out the modem and router into separate devices, (owning both), I have had 0 issues with Mediacom. But if I can get fiber eventually I will switch. Regarding the OP, If you have 20 download now and are getting 40 offered, what they do is "merge" two lines. I was told by a technician that came to set it up that he wouldn't recommend doing that for anyone. So I didn't. I have no idea the issue with it, but it sounds like it just creates problems. Of course this was a few years back.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
When is MetroNet coming to NE Ankeny? We are on Mediacom and since I split out the modem and router into separate devices, (owning both), I have had 0 issues with Mediacom. But if I can get fiber eventually I will switch. Regarding the OP, If you have 20 download now and are getting 40 offered, what they do is "merge" two lines. I was told by a technician that came to set it up that he wouldn't recommend doing that for anyone. So I didn't. I have no idea the issue with it, but it sounds like it just creates problems. Of course this was a few years back.

Could also be an older router. When I got upgraded to 40 mb DSL, I need a different router. Also, you need to know what kind of line is coming from the NID outside to the port the router is connected. If it is basic phone line, you are essentially throttling the connection in your house. I replaced the run from the NID to the port with CAT 6 cable and I usually get over the advertised speeds.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I would do metronet in a second over CL. I have mifiber right now, it is just rock solid stable and I cannot speedtest my gear because it maxes out the wifi before it maxes out the fiber line. Fiber is the way to go.

I have mi-fiber as well. I only have the 100mbps package though - its only 2 of us and we don't game. I've had them for 2.5 years, was only down once for a few hours after the derecho, but that was because of mid-american and a blown transformer that powered the fiber backbone in our area and not mi-fiber.

Been rock solid, no contract stuff and price lock guarantee.

Reactions: brianhos

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
we dont have fiber in our neighborhood...its copper

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
We’re out in the country, the last box on the line (so we’re lucky to even have that) and our max is 3 mbps. Jealous of the rest of you.
I have been told the camparison between Century Links telephone line and Metro's fiber optic is like comparing the time it takes a Model t and a Z06 to go a mile full throttle

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
We switched to Metronet as soon as they were available. I have been happy with the speeds.

What I don't like is how the lines were strung in the backyard. There are four lines strung on the utility poles behind our houses that go to four houses that all switched to Metronet. They are all at different heights because they were installed separately and the lowest one I'm pretty sure I can reach from the ground.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron