Merged Covid Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

The study's author concluded while direct contact with COVID-19 patients increased the likelihood of contracting the virus, those who wore a mask were less likely to test positive for the virus.

"It’s nice to have proof masking really works," said Dr. Matthew Sims in an interview with the Detroit Free Press. He is the director of Infectious Diseases Research at Beaumont Health and lead author of the research paper.

"Masks play a vital role in protecting people and can dramatically reduce the risk of contracting COVID-19."

Reactions: clonechemist

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
From Fauci today, sounds like best guesses on us common folk getting vaccinated is in the May-June time period. More at risk earlier and general population starting in April and going through July.

If things start trending down in Feb-Mar and then vaccines become more available, we could be mostly back to normal by summer.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
From Fauci today, sounds like best guesses on us common folk getting vaccinated is in the May-June time period. More at risk earlier and general population starting in April and going through July.

If things start trending down in Feb-Mar and then vaccines become more available, we could be mostly back to normal by summer.
Would they vaccine front-line workers and at-risk population early if they have already recovered from Covid? I realize that there is a possibility of re-infection but not sure how recovered patients factor into the strategy.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Damn I hope that’s true. That would be wonderful if that timeline happens.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I have not been following exceptionally close to the vaccine developments other than what I read in the headlines. This is the timeline I was expecting for young and otherwise healthy folks. I figured it would be late spring/summer before someone like me could get a vaccine.

I'll be curious how this timeframe would affect large gatherings (thinking MLB games, for example). I wonder if they'll do no fans for spring training and try to open it up for the regular season.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
More than likely people started having more indoor gatherings as the weather cooled.
Maybe. Some posit that transmissibility is heavily influenced by seasonal humidity which could be driving spikes regardless of mitigation measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron