MBB Pre-Season Scrimmages

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
How did I know Shayoks FT’s would be a bigger story on CF than super fresh THT stepping up with 16 on a bad night for Wigginton?

Reactions: heitclone

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Is Randy attempting a joke?
No wonder NU struggles to make the tournament, they change their plays per coaching change.
Randy is the joke. I like watching him ask his in depth questions on the weekly press conference, he really thinks he’s the ace reporter in the room

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonepsycho23

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
nice to see the box score posted - so many tidbits in there for the diehards to debate! that's what beat reporters are supposed to offer on twitter...oh well....

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Annual Over-Analysis of Scrimmage Box Score (Part 1)

Back by popular demand...

· As others have noted, we seemed to be down Lard (a likely suspension/punishment) as well as Talley and Young (from injury). Despite that, we won over a good Nebraska squad. That is very encouraging. Last year’s squad would have fallen apart – and did – with those kinds of injuries. If Shayok and Jackson are a wash, last year we would have been turned to an injured Brase, an ineffective Beverly or Long, or an overwhelmed Lewis. This season, we are turning to a former P6 starter in Jacobson, a high 4* stud in Horton-Tucker, and freshmen who are hopefully readier for the limelight. I know we like to make fun of Iowa’s depth and we will only play 7-8 when it matters but having this kind of redundancy on the roster is a welcome change.

· Nick had a very Nick night in almost scoring a double-double on only eight field goal attempts, though he only played 30 minutes and had 3 assists. I would have to think, given the higher number of assists and turnovers, that Wigginton ran the point most of the night, and Shayok and Horton-Tucker spent a lot of the night with the ball in their hands. Nick might have been guarding a 4 with all those rebounds hanging out closer to the hoop.

· Shayok and Horton-Tucker came in and took over the pride against Nebraska, and I love to see that. Shayok’s career high is 23 against UNC-Wilmington, and his career highs against P6 schools are 19 (Georgia Tech), 17 (Wake Forest), and 17 (Clemson). I thought he might average 10+ for us but looks like that could be 12+ or more as an aggressive scorer.

· Looks like Horton-Tucker is going to be the beast that was advertised and, well, given the other injuries on the roster, I bet he starts the opening of the season and might start every game this season. That would be great if he really is that good from the get-go and great advertising for Prohm for big-time recruits like him. If he promises playing time, he can point to giving it to Wigginton and Horton-Tucker. He did have four fouls, though.

· Wigginton had a bad night scoring, at least by his standards. He missed a lot of 2PT field goals. If this line is the line of our PG, well, it is not the greatest, given it looks like he called his own number and took a good deal of bad shots last night. I would hope that Wigginton who dribbles himself into trouble goes away. He might not be a clear shooting guard any longer.

· Jacobson was quiet but solid, a very Solomon sort of night. That is what we need out of him and Young with the firepower that we have on offense from the wings and with Lard. I can only imagine we could have done a number on them if Lard had been playing.

· Nobody seemed to note that Haliburton had three steals. I like ball hawking like that.

· None of the other bench guys stood out to me, but they are either true freshmen or a sophomore, so that is okay. I hope Griffin feels better. Lewis had an alright night, though three fouls in 14 minutes of play might indicate some of the problems on defense remain.

· Once we have Lard and Talley back soon, and once we have Solomon back for the Big 12 slates, this team is going to have talent and depth far beyond what we had last season and its eventual flop. If the freshmen can contribute, that is great, but I know what those missing three can do from last season, and that is some very nice depth and flexibility.

· I think this is a tournament team. I would say something in the #7 to #10 range right now, maybe something like the season the Royce White team had.

Last edited:

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
Definitely encouraging to see a "game" where Lindell didn't have his best stuff and THT was able to step up and score 16. Makes me feel good that he will be to step in and have an impact from game one

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

· As others have noted, we seemed to be down Lard (a likely suspension/punishment) as well as Talley and Young (from injury). Despite that, we won over a good Nebraska squad. That is very encouraging. Last year’s squad would have fallen apart – and did – with those kinds of injuries. If Shayok and Jackson are a wash, last year we would have been turned to an injured Brase, an ineffective Beverly or Long, or an overwhelmed Lewis. This season, we are turning to a former P6 starter in Jacobson, a high 4* stud in Horton-Tucker, and freshmen who are hopefully readier for the limelight. I know we like to make fun of Iowa’s depth and we will only play 7-8 when it matters but having this kind of redundancy on the roster is a welcome change.

· Nick had a very Nick night in almost scoring a double-double on only eight field goal attempts, though he only played 30 minutes and had 3 assists. I would have to think, given the higher number of assists and turnovers, that Wigginton ran the point most of the night, and Shayok and Horton-Tucker spent a lot of the night with the ball in their hands. Nick might have been guarding a 4 with all those rebounds hanging out closer to the hoop.

· Shayok and Horton-Tucker came in and took over the pride against Nebraska, and I love to see that. Shayok’s career high is 23 against UNC-Wilmington, and his career highs against P6 schools are 19 (Georgia Tech), 17 (Wake Forest), and 17 (Clemson). I thought he might average 10+ for us but looks like that could be 12+ or more as an aggressive scorer.

· Looks like Horton-Tucker is going to be the beast that was advertised and, well, given the other injuries on the roster, I bet he starts the opening of the season and might start every game this season. That would be great if he really is that good from the get-go and great advertising for Prohm for big-time recruits like him. If he promises playing time, he can point to giving it to Wigginton and Horton-Tucker. He did have four fouls, though.

· Wigginton had a bad night scoring, at least by his standards. He missed a lot of 2PT field goals. If this line is the line of our PG, well, it is not the greatest, given it looks like he called his own number and took a good deal of bad shots last night. I would hope that Wigginton who dribbles himself into trouble goes away. He might not be a clear shooting guard any longer.

· Jacobson was quiet but solid, a very Solomon sort of night. That is what we need out of him and Young with the firepower that we have on offense from the wings and with Lard. I can only imagine we could have done a number on them if Lard had been playing.

· Nobody seemed to note that Haliburton had three steals. I like ball hawking like that.

· None of the other bench guys stood out to me, but they are either true freshmen or a sophomore, so that is okay. I hope Griffin feels better. Lewis had an alright night, though three fouls in 14 minutes of play might indicate some of the problems on defense remain.

· Once we have Lard and Talley back soon, and once we have Solomon back for the Big 12 slates, this team is going to have talent and depth far beyond what we had last season and its eventual flop. If the freshmen can contribute, that is great, but I know what those missing three can do from last season, and that is some very nice depth and flexibility.

· I think this is a tournament team. I would say something in the #7 to #10 range right now, maybe something like the season the Royce White team had.

With all due respect to DJ, the Shayok comparison is far beyond a wash IMO. Mariel has size, can get his own shot, and can play great defense. DJ was a sniper, but that was about it. I think Shayok has an offensive game that will surprise the **** out of anyone who didn't see that tournament game where he got his career high. He's the poster child for a guy who was stuck in the wrong type of system for his game.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Shayok is so much better than Donovan ever was

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
With all due respect to DJ, the Shayok comparison is far beyond a wash IMO. Mariel has size, can get his own shot, and can play great defense. DJ was a sniper, but that was about it. I think Shayok has an offensive game that will surprise the **** out of anyone who didn't see that tournament game where he got his career high. He's the poster child for a guy who was stuck in the wrong type of system for his game.

Agreed. It was more of a point about the depth of the roster than any individual upgrades or improvements from our returning players, though.

Last year, I would say we had six men who belonged on the court at this level...

Jackson, NWB, Talley, Young, Wigginton, and Lard

...this is not saying any of them were All-Americans or they did not have their individual strengths and weaknesses, but I think those six would have seen significant playing time on anything but the most elite programs in the country.

I think any of those six could be in the rotation (or even star) for a tournament team.

Six is barely enough under the best of circumstances, but then...

Jackson suffered a bereavement
NWB was hurt much the last third of the season
Talley missed the first third
Young missed the end of the season

Six is barely enough under the best of conditions, and we effectively only had four of them (on average) on any given night. That was not enough.

This year, I think we clearly have eight. We lost Jackson to graduation but picked up Shayok to replace him, then add Jacobson, and then I think Horton-Tucker proved that he deserves to be on the list after his performance against Nebraska. That is so much more cushion. We are going to be able to absorb Solomon's injury in ways we could not last season, and I am sure that Talley and Lard are going to be ready for opening night.

This is about who we turn to when things go wrong. The roster goes off a cliff much further down the bench than it did last season. I thought our starting five were actually pretty solid last year. It was the guys behind them that did not belong in the game.

CW always says this about football -- the McCarney teams had good starters but no depth and therefore could not outlast teams. I felt similar about basketball last year.

That is before you factor in individual improvement, like you said. I know Shayok-for-Jackson is not an "individual," but they are going to functionally play the same role as the lead scoring guard on the roster, so I think it counts as the improvement you note.

:)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Probably jumping the gun here but this has potential to have maybe the most actual depth since the Elite Eight team.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Agreed. It was more of a point about the depth of the roster than any individual upgrades or improvements from our returning players, though.

Last year, I would say we had six men who belonged on the court at this level...

Jackson, NWB, Talley, Young, Wigginton, and Lard

...this is not saying any of them were All-Americans or they did not have their individual strengths and weaknesses, but I think those six would have seen significant playing time on anything but the most elite programs in the country.

I think any of those six could be in the rotation (or even star) for a tournament team.

Six is barely enough under the best of circumstances, but then...

Jackson suffered a bereavement
NWB was hurt much the last third of the season
Talley missed the first third
Young missed the end of the season

Six is barely enough under the best of conditions, and we effectively only had four of them (on average) on any given night. That was not enough.

This year, I think we clearly have eight. We lost Jackson to graduation but picked up Shayok to replace him, then add Jacobson, and then I think Horton-Tucker proved that he deserves to be on the list after his performance against Nebraska. That is so much more cushion. We are going to be able to absorb Solomon's injury in ways we could not last season, and I am sure that Talley and Lard are going to be ready for opening night.

This is about who we turn to when things go wrong. The roster goes off a cliff much further down the bench than it did last season. I thought our starting five were actually pretty solid last year. It was the guys behind them that did not belong in the game.

CW always says this about football -- the McCarney teams had good starters but no depth and therefore could not outlast teams. I felt similar about basketball last year.

That is before you factor in individual improvement, like you said. I know Shayok-for-Jackson is not an "individual," but they are going to functionally play the same role as the lead scoring guard on the roster, so I think it counts as the improvement you note.

:)

Oh, no doubt. The huge improvement is where we're going with 6/7/8/9 off the bench. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that every option is a big improvement.

Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron