MBA Summer League: Royce Debuts TONIGHT

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Playing with a bunch of selfish guys who are trying to prove something didn't help him much last night.

IdahoCyclone

Feb 29, 2012
heck we don't even know what team he will play for to start the season. I could see him be a Big Baby type of player if he can immensely upgrade his jump shot.If people think he will play Point guard/point forward at all in the NBA they have lost their damn minds.
Needs to improve his 8 to 10 foot pull up and needs to improve his motor a little.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The Rockets are going balls out trying to get D. Howard. It is hard to know what they are trying to accomplish during these summer games. It really seemed to me that McHale was trying to actively sell the talents of a few of the Rockets like Jones and Parsons. C. Webb brought up Royce White a couple of times and McHale almost seemed reluctant to comment. To me it was almost uncomfortable, like he was hiding something. I don't think McHale would take Royce at #16 and plan on playing him as a traditional 4.

I also think the flow of the game was bad because the Rockets do not have decent point guard. I know my 12 year old daughter can handle the ball better than the guy they started last night.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Again, guys don't always play as a team in summer league (some guys "get it" though). Some guys are trying to make the roster and do anything to shine, without realizing coaches do see how well you play as a team member even when you aren't scoring (i.e. passing, setting screens, etc). Even when White is open, they aren't passing much to him in the first two games. Fortson has been taking it in with mostly bad stuff and turning it over (except a few times). On the other side, Royce was a little more aggressive this game, but still didn't get the ball too much. The thing I have a problem with is it seems they're playing him as a 4 for the most part when he should be playing as a 3.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
Again, guys don't always play as a team in summer league (some guys "get it" though). Some guys are trying to make the roster and do anything to shine, without realizing coaches do see how well you play as a team member even when you aren't scoring (i.e. passing, setting screens, etc). Even when White is open, they aren't passing much to him in the first two games. Fortson has been taking it in with mostly bad stuff and turning it over (except a few times). On the other side, Royce was a little more aggressive this game, but still didn't get the ball too much. The thing I have a problem with is it seems they're playing him as a 4 for the most part when he should be playing as a 3.

This is the part I have to laugh at a little bit. You are saying how an NBA team should be using a player. This is a different game than college even though Freddy ran and NBA type offensive system. That helped prepare Royce for the jump to the NBA. It doesn't mean the Rockets are going to do things the same way. The defensive end is where they are going to have to figure out where Royce needs to be game by game. My guess is this will vary by game. Defensively, he has to get better to guard the 3 while he may be undersized height-wise when guarding some 4s. Either way, I think the Rockets have a handle on what they are doing.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I think the Rockets have just not figured out how to utilize him, or most of their other new players. This team has a lot of turnover this year, so it will take some time for everything to fit together. I think they are playing him at the 4 a lot now, maybe just to see what he can do. He seems to be most comfortable, and most active when he is out on top with a chance to handle the ball, or at least attempt to set some screens and work off of them. It will take time for him to adjust and for the Rockets to figure how best to use him.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Dudes......its rec league with NBA players. All they gain from this is playing with and against guys a step above where they were in college.

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
Dudes......its rec league with NBA players. All they gain from this is playing with and against guys a step above where they were in college.

This. Everyone is out there trying to 'get theres' . Ive watched a couple games. No real team concept. Im not going to take anything away from any summer league ever.