Matt Thomas did not play

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The second half. I think that missed 3 that he was wide open finally pushed Fred over the edge. He has just missed so many wide open 3's. That one was when we had major momentum and it just killed us.
Push Fred over the edge of what? We always base our rotation on feel and the match-up. MT's PT means very little going forward imo.

That said, we could have used grabbing a juco guard like Medford imo. We have Cooke next year, but I would love to see us get another guard for next year.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
He is shooting 33% from three this season. He shot 34% from three last season. His percentages for the rest of the field are only a few percentage points higher.

The concern is that he may not be the sharp shooter he has been sold as...are we going to be saying "he just needs to find his confidence" his senior year?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
He is shooting 33% from three this season. He shot 34% from three last season. His percentages for the rest of the field are only a few percentage points higher.

The concern is that he may not be the sharp shooter he has been sold as...are we going to be saying "he just needs to find his confidence" his senior year?
He still looks tentative out there, but we don't need him to be a Forte or Jake Sullivan. Being streaky would be better than a consistent 1-3 imo.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Regarding the last play, did Baylor have guys all over Naz? All happened too fast in those last 4.7 to see where every one was at. Who where the last five on the floor besides Georges, Naz, and MM?

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
The second half. I think that missed 3 that he was wide open finally pushed Fred over the edge. He has just missed so many wide open 3's. That one was when we had major momentum and it just killed us.

No, Fred doesn't take people out for missing shots. Nader didn't play much in the second half either. A couple of poor shooting decisions by BDJ are what hurt our momentum, although he had a great game otherwise. Not that everyone is isn't going to take some bad shots, but more the timing of them. He has to stop trying to get through 3-4 defenders on the breaks.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I dont think that one play sent Fred over any edge. Our entire team needs to be more physical to be honest but i wont sit here and say this team is not mentally tough. There was several times last night a lot of teams would have given up but we battled back several times against a good team on the road and had the lead with 12 seconds to go. Our guys also didnt know how the refs would call each trip on the floor. On one particular trip Rico barrelled into hogue and put the ball in then the next trip McKay dribbled and jump stopped barely touching Rico and he flopped and the ref called a charge. It was such ******** but whatever. Im proud of the mental toughness they showed.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Agreed ... Baylor's frontcourt size and perimeter speed with Chery and Medford kept Thomas out in my opinion. Add in Long's offensive production and Thomas was not an option.

A lot of ISU dobbers are down, but coming back from 17 down, on the road, against a skilled opponent like Baylor shows that ISU is the real deal.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I dont think that one play sent Fred over any edge. Our entire team needs to be more physical to be honest but i wont sit here and say this team is not mentally tough. There was several times last night a lot of teams would have given up but we battled back several times against a good team on the road and had the lead with 12 seconds to go. Our guys also didnt know how the refs would call each trip on the floor. On one particular trip Rico barrelled into hogue and put the ball in then the next trip McKay dribbled and jump stopped barely touching Rico and he flopped and the ref called a charge. It was such ******** but whatever. Im proud of the mental toughness they showed.

That was just laughable. To make it even worse at the next stoppage of play they replayed those two plays back to back and the commentators were praising Gathers up and down how he could manage to ram into a player like that and not draw the whistle and then flop on the other end to get the call. For the life of me I will never understand how officials will allow a player to ram a defender repeatedly with his butt to dislodge him again and again from his spot in legal guarding position and then on the other end allow the same player to flop at the slightest contact and call a charge.

Can one of the officials on here explain to me why so much offensive violent contact is allowed on the block simply because the offensive player is not facing the basket? I can't find that part in the rule book. Seriously, what is the rationale that is used for that?

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Matt is just thinking about his shot too much, keep shooting. I have no doubt Matt will knock some big shots this year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You can't play Naz, MM, and MT at the same time against Baylor and with Morris and Naz the only guys keeping us in the game, MT had to sit. It's going to be very hard for him to find minutes with Nader improving and Naz playing well.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Let's complain about the free throw shooting of an 82% free throw shooter some more.
He missed the front end. I only care about what he does for the particular game. Who cares what the % is for the season. That is only an indicator. Bottom line is we were one more point down. What did we lose by?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Matt is just thinking about his shot too much, keep shooting. I have no doubt Matt will knock some big shots this year.
Matt was slower to react on defense than the other cyclone defenders. He just was. He needs to improve on chasing people like Naz did and Monte did. His best skill right now is rebounding.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
He missed the front end. I only care about what he does for the particular game. Who cares what the % is for the season. That is only an indicator. Bottom line is we were one more point down. What did we lose by?

And you are going to blame one guy who played seven minutes for a free throw rather than discussing all the other missed shots throughout the game. If you want to do that, then I can blame literally anybody for the loss. Fred has to make the right decision on who to put at the line in that situation. Nobody can miss a free throw, nobody can loss a battle on a rebound.