Matt Fannon (Iowa state womens soccer coach) accused of body shaming/ verbal abuse

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Yeah, that just seems like a really high attrition.
It does sound high but look at FB and BB, those rosters see huge turnover. A year and a half after TJ was hired, there isn't one scholarship player on the roster that was here when he started. Tough to read much into roster attrition after Covid and the loosening of transfer rules.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
17 players left because he forced some of them out of the door. I know we had some of the worst athletes in D1 soccer when he got here and he purged a lot of them. However, some of these allegations are serious and sounds like he crossed the line.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
If 17 players have quit since he arrived, there may be a legitimate problem.

It sounds like he mocked international players, had players do a drill that other coaches deemed was unsafe, they did weigh-ins before and after practices, dictated what they could eat and drink, .... yeah, it sounds bad to me.

It's not OK to tell people what they can weigh or what they can eat (male or female). This is how disordered eating begins.
We would have no football players if that was true. Also, there would be no football players in division 1 football across the country..

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Every athletic team I played on had specific dietary plans and body composition check ins, how else do you ensure your athletes are maximizing their potential? Honest question.

It's a very dangerous path. I don't know the answer. I just know so many people who have had body image/disordered eating issues. And some of it started in athletics.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Looks like front page of the newspaper, not just sports page.

Trying to force breast reduction surgery seems extreme.

The allegations against the Athletic Department for not being very helpful with the complaints are concerning.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The scale does not determine if someone is healthy or fit.
I don’t know what this guy said or didn’t say but Can it be a tool to help determine health though?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I wonder if the protocol should be okay for coach to comment on match fitness issues but have nutrition/medical people discuss what appropriate playing weight is for the individual.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
The scale does not determine if someone is healthy or fit.

This is a very simplistic answer for a more complex question.

I think we need to know context on what exactly the soccer players were told and the reasoning behind why certain weights or eating habits were allegedly dictated. If the coach was being an a-hole just because he was in a position of power, that's terrible. If he had actual clear expectations for the athletes that were communicated to them in a non-demeaning way and provided support around them to achieve those goals in a healthy way, that's a completely different thing.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This is a very simplistic answer for a more complex question.

I think we need to know context on what exactly the soccer players were told and the reasoning behind why certain weights or eating habits were allegedly dictated. If the coach was being an a-hole just because he was in a position of power, that's terrible. If he had actual clear expectations for the athletes that were communicated to them in a non-demeaning way and provided support around them to achieve those goals in a healthy way, that's a completely different thing.
I think posting weigh in weights for everyone to see is being an A-hole

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If 17 players have quit since he arrived, there may be a legitimate problem.

It sounds like he mocked international players, had players do a drill that other coaches deemed was unsafe, they did weigh-ins before and after practices, dictated what they could eat and drink, .... yeah, it sounds bad to me.

It's not OK to tell people what they can weigh or what they can eat (male or female). This is how disordered eating begins.

I assume you weren't a wrestler?

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
There are ways to motivate athletes without shaming them or making them anxious about what they weigh or what they're eating.

- signed a person who used to be nervous about eating in front of people because of judgment/body image issues

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron