Matt Fannon (Iowa state womens soccer coach) accused of body shaming/ verbal abuse

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I think posting weigh in weights for everyone to see is being an A-hole

Yeah I don't know all the details of the story and I'm definitely not defending the guy. I just want more clear details before I make a judgment on something like this. Certainly the things that are rumored to happen don't sound good. If he was posting weights publicly as a means for shaming/motivation, that's an a-hole move.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Every athletic team I played on had specific dietary plans and body composition check ins, how else do you ensure your athletes are maximizing their potential? Honest question.
But wouldn’t a focus on fat %, muscle mass, etc. be more useful than strict weight?

But regardless, according to the article the expert opinion is that you don’t do public daily weigh-ins. What was he apparently doing? Public weigh-ins before and after every practice

Reactions: mitchforcy

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
those people on "my 1,000 pound life"?

healthy as a horse!
Are you seriously comparing people that can't even leave their rooms anymore to 175lb girls soccer players who would run circles around you?

Those people have literally eaten themselves into a corner as they are too big to fit through the door frame of their rooms now.

Nice comparison to elite division 1 athletes.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
This is a problem with womens sports compared to mens sports. Football coaches and basketball coaches constantly tell football players they need to lose weight and all of that stuff. They even list height and weight on the football roster. My daughters soccer coach told one of our girls she needed to lose weight if she wanted to play college soccer. Of course there was an out cray and before you know it the story became he called her fat. I was actually there for the conversation and he was super nice and just explained reailty. I love womens soccer. I could see how coaching it would be a really delicate thing though.
Definitely touchy. We talk about football players and use terms like “healthy playing weight” with little issue. That has a completely different meaning in the sphere of women’s sports and women’s body image in general. I get it.
There are also just a lot of people who make comments in bad faith online about anything women’s sports related. Those people suck.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This is a problem with womens sports compared to mens sports. Football coaches and basketball coaches constantly tell football players they need to lose weight and all of that stuff. They even list height and weight on the football roster. My daughters soccer coach told one of our girls she needed to lose weight if she wanted to play college soccer. Of course there was an out cray and before you know it the story became he called her fat. I was actually there for the conversation and he was super nice and just explained reailty. I love womens soccer. I could see how coaching it would be a really delicate thing though.

And that's why the context matters. Telling a young woman that they'll need to lose weight to be competitive in a personal conversation is absolutely acceptable IMO. Saying it in a group situation or as a motivator on the field is not. Perhaps it's a matter of verbage in that you need to tell them they need to get faster or improve endurance. While the underlying issue may be weight, focusing on the actual athletic trait your looking for would be the better way to approach it.

Reactions: werdnamanhill

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
How does Fennelly handle this topic in his program?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
And that's why the context matters. Telling a young woman that they'll need to lose weight to be competitive in a personal conversation is absolutely acceptable IMO. Saying it in a group situation or as a motivator on the field is not. Perhaps it's a matter of verbage in that you need to tell them they need to get faster or improve endurance. While the underlying issue may be weight, focusing on the actual athletic trait your looking for would be the better way to approach it.
Public or private, telling them to get breast reduction surgery is way out of line

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If 17 players have quit since he arrived, there may be a legitimate problem.

It sounds like he mocked international players, had players do a drill that other coaches deemed was unsafe, they did weigh-ins before and after practices, dictated what they could eat and drink, .... yeah, it sounds bad to me.

It's not OK to tell people what they can weigh or what they can eat (male or female). This is how disordered eating begins.

I can't wait to hear your scathing critique of pretty much every football program on earth.

It's okay to be honest with people and tell them what they need to do to perform better when they are part of the program. If you can't take that, then D1 sports aren't for you.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The scale does not determine if someone is healthy or fit.
In every case, no, but there's a huge correlation and I haven't figured out the motivation behind denying that.

Anyway, it's not relevant to the point because he's not determining whether they're healthy or not. He's determining if they are as good as they can be or not.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
It appears he was on his way out after a winless Big 12 season anyway, this should just solidify it. I hate that this is a reflection of our Athletic Department.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
As a society, its much more acceptable for women to bring up these kinds of concerns. We basically don't care what you say to men, to the point that even most guys wouldn't even see or admit it as an issue. A few weeks ago, social media was flooded with the rotund U of Florida football player who was "built like a lunch lady". There was no backlash, no accusations of body shaming it was just looked at as good clean fun. As a culture, men just aren't supposed to care about those things or at least not talk about them. Yet, there are gyms full of dudes all over the country right now who are obsessed with changing their bodies because of insecurities they've felt in the past.

I get why people are making the comparisons to mens sports but it's not really the same thing. It's more about it not being acceptable for men to bring up these concerns and our different expectations of a man/woman's appearance than women being weak or soft.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It appears he was on his way out after a winless Big 12 season anyway, this should just solidify it. I hate that this is a reflection of our Athletic Department.
In Iowa City, he would get an extension.

Reactions: Cyeedy

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
If 17 players have quit since he arrived, there may be a legitimate problem.

It sounds like he mocked international players, had players do a drill that other coaches deemed was unsafe, they did weigh-ins before and after practices, dictated what they could eat and drink, .... yeah, it sounds bad to me.

It's not OK to tell people what they can weigh or what they can eat (male or female). This is how disordered eating begins.
don't we kind of need a barometer first to know if that's a high number relatively speaking or if that's normal?

my guess is that most universities have information they use to determine appropriate weight for height, etc. certainly not defending a situation I don't fully know but college coaches, especially those of scholarship athletes probably have more bandwidth on nutrition and player shape than what people may like.

if anyone is mocking people...that's a hard no for me

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
The program has not gotten any better since he has been here. I get the roster turnover after the former coach was fired, that is normal. However, the program has regressed and shows no signs of getting better. It typically takes 2 conference wins to get to the conference tournament and we can't even manage that on a yearly basis.

Overall 3-6-4
Conference 2-6-1 (no conference tourney due to COVID)

Overall 5-11-1
Conference 2-6 (made conference tourney as the # 8 seed)

Overall 3-9-4 (fewest overall wins of any team in the conference)
Conference 0-6-2 (no conference tourney)

K-State which has only offered soccer as a D-1 sport since 2016 is better than us, and we've had soccer since 1996.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Public or private, telling them to get breast reduction surgery is way out of line

I get what you're saying, but this is the tricky part about sports. What happens when your body changes that prevents you from competing? Should your coach tell you so? I'm not advocating that a coach should push for surgery, but is it his job to tell the athlete that their size will prevent them from competing and ultimately make the team? Then let the athlete decide if the sport is worth having surgery. Or, is it better for the coach to not say anything and cut the athlete from the team because they can't perform at D1 standards?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The program has not gotten any better since he has been here. I get the roster turnover after the former coach was fired, that is normal. However, the program has regressed and shows no signs of getting better. It typically takes 2 conference wins to get to the conference tournament and we can't even manage that on a yearly basis.

Overall 3-6-4
Conference 2-6-1 (no conference tourney due to COVID)

Overall 5-11-1
Conference 2-6 (made conference tourney as the # 8 seed)

Overall 3-9-4 (fewest overall wins of any team in the conference)
Conference 0-6-2 (no conference tourney)

K-State which has only offered soccer as a D-1 sport since 2016 is better than us, and we've had soccer since 1996.

Given that it's not a revenue producing sport, that record, and these allegations this is kind of a no brainer. Even if you think what he's doing isn't crossing the line, it also doesn't appear to be effective so either way he should be let go.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron