Martina Navratilova and Trans Athletes

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don't know much about the transgender community, so please realize I have two questions that are not intended to offend or hurt you. If they are too personal there is no need to respond.
1. Is 135lbs bench strong for girls?
2. Have you gone to the gym and competed with other girls, and did you feel you had an edge if you did?
Sorry that was three questions.

Thank you for being really respectful. I think as mods that we have to seem like we're negative a lot, but I think we can do a better job about calling out when something was really kind and respectful - like this.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I don't know much about the transgender community, so please realize I have two questions that are not intended to offend or hurt you. If they are too personal there is no need to respond.
1. Is 135lbs bench strong for girls?
2. Have you gone to the gym and competed with other girls, and did you feel you had an edge if you did?
Sorry that was three questions.
1. For women in general, yes 135 is pretty good. For hardcore lifters, no, not at all.

2. I've run in 5K competitions, and have never come close to being a frontrunner in the women's standings. (I've never been a strong runner before though. This is more for enjoyment than competition.) I'll occasionally play basketball with the boys at the gym, and I get a lot of compliments there. I'm still pretty competitive there.I'm the only woman that I have ever seen play in pickup games.

3. It depends on the sport.
An advantage in basketball? Definitely. (I was recruited by a lot of D3s for basketball, but ultimately chose to walkon in football instead because I was hung up on being a Division I athlete.)
An advantage in lifting? Four years ago, hell yes; Two years ago, yes. Now? No advantage at all. It's all because of the switchover from testosterone to estrogen.

Last edited:

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
1. For women in general, yes 135 is pretty good. For hardcore lifters, no, not at all.

2. I've run in 5K competitions, and have never come close to being a frontrunner in the women's standings. (I've never been a strong runner before though. This is more for enjoyment than competition.) I'll occasionally play basketball with the boys at the gym, and I get a lot of compliments there. I'm still pretty competitive there.I'm the only woman that I have ever seen play in pickup games.

3. It depends on the sport.
An advantage in basketball? Definitely. (I was recruited by a lot of D3s for basketball, but ultimately chose to walkon in football instead because I was hung up on being a Division I athlete.)
An advantage in lifting? Four years ago, hell yes; Two years ago, yes. Now? No advantage at all. It's all because of the switchover from testosterone to estrogen.
Thankyou for answering my questions. I really don't know what to think now.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
All identity politics and use of race, gender, etc has no place in politics. Politics done right should ignore all those factors if they really want to eliminate those factors from our society. If you are poor, you’re poor. If you are disadvantaged, you’re disadvantaged. If you are a victim of physical abuse, you’re an abuse victim. Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Last edited: