Maggie McGraw - Will She be A PG at Iowa State?

Buckminster

Nov 10, 2017
I really like our chances of going deep in the NCAA tournament this year and hope next year will be similar.

It seems to me that we will have three returning players that will form the core of the 2019-2020 team (at least from the stand point of returning minutes played and points scored):
  • Ashley Joens
  • Kristin Scott
  • Madison Wise
The default PG will be Rae Johnson. I like Rae's game, but I'm not sure she plays at the same level as many other starting PGs for top 20 teams.

With Ashley and Madison returning as shooting guards, I was wondering if Maggie McGraw could challenge Rae for the PG position next year. That could be a talent upgrade if she can handle the PG position in the Big 12.

I'm also hopeful that Jade Thurmon can emerge as a PG with meaningful minutes next year. She is probably the fastest player on the team.

The last starting position is open. My money is on AD Camber, but would love to see Maddie Frederick and Morgan Kane earn quality playing time as red-shirt freshmen.

• Informative
Reactions: GT25Ump

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think Rae has really brought her game up the last few weeks, and would be hard to displace from the starting job next year. How many PGs have started as freshmen? Medders is the one that sticks out in my mind.

Moody did. Wilson probably would have, but her redshirt was pulled when Junod got mono. Buckley was a starter her frosh year, but didn't take over PG to her later career.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I think Rae has really brought her game up the last few weeks, and would be hard to displace from the starting job next year. How many PGs have started as freshmen? Medders is the one that sticks out in my mind.
What is Johnson largest contribution in a game? To me it is her ball handling.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Watching most of Maggie's games so far this year, I can see her running the point. Rae seems a bit quicker, but Maggie controls the ball well, and that's more important I think.

I do live her shooting touch, too, so I think she'll accel at the 1, 2, or 3.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I really like our chances of going deep in the NCAA tournament this year and hope next year will be similar.

It seems to me that we will have three returning players that will form the core of the 2019-2020 team (at least from the stand point of returning minutes played and points scored):
  • Ashley Joens
  • Kristin Scott
  • Madison Wise
The default PG will be Rae Johnson. I like Rae's game, but I'm not sure she plays at the same level as many other starting PGs for top 20 teams.

With Ashley and Madison returning as shooting guards, I was wondering if Maggie McGraw could challenge Rae for the PG position next year. That could be a talent upgrade if she can handle the PG position in the Big 12.

I'm also hopeful that Jade Thurmon can emerge as a PG with meaningful minutes next year. She is probably the fastest player on the team.

The last starting position is open. My money is on AD Camber, but would love to see Maddie Frederick and Morgan Kane earn quality playing time as red-shirt freshmen.

My money's on Frederick to grab the last starting spot. If we hadn't been so deep this year, I'm not so sure she wouldn't have played a lot and maybe even started. It's not often you get a player who has been the Gatorade player of the year in two different states. From what little we saw of her this year before she redshirted, she looks like a really good offensive threat. I like Camber a lot, but she's just not consistent enough with her shooting to be a starter IMO.

Kane played some solid minutes too before she redshirted.

I expect McGraw to play point next year, but the following year, she'll probably move to off guard and Lexi Donarski will be the point guard. If you watch Donarski highlights, she somewhat of a wizard handling the ball. Donarski will be our highest rated recruit in some time, maybe even ever. Right now, she's at No. 19 on Hoopgurlz in the 2020 class.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ISC

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Just read that McGraw’s former teammate at Indianola, Grace Berg, is transferring from Mizzou to Drake after just one semester in Columbia.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Former AAU teammate of Joens. Huge get for Drake.
I agree! Up until this year, I was an assistant girls basketball coach for the HS where I teach and Indianola is in our conference. We had a Senior last year that had some great battles against her (that girl, Sienna Durr, is a starter for Columbia University in NY and was National Frosh of the Week a couple of weeks ago). For as much as I was impressed with McGraw - I so wished that Grace would have been a Cyclone. BTW, I tried to sell Sienna on ISU - but she always had the dream of going to an Ivy League school.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I agree! Up until this year, I was an assistant girls basketball coach for the HS where I teach and Indianola is in our conference. We had a Senior last year that had some great battles against her (that girl, Sienna Durr, is a starter for Columbia University in NY and was National Frosh of the Week a couple of weeks ago). For as much as I was impressed with McGraw - I so wished that Grace would have been a Cyclone. BTW, I tried to sell Sienna on ISU - but she always had the dream of going to an Ivy League school.
Was Durr ever offered by ISU? If she ever decides to "play up", she can probably contribute at the B12 level. She is off to quite the start for Columbia.

With Berg, Rhine and Hittner next season, Drake is going to be even better although they will miss Bachrodt at the point.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Was Durr ever offered by ISU? If she ever decides to "play up", she can probably contribute at the B12 level. She is off to quite the start for Columbia.

With Berg, Rhine and Hittner next season, Drake is going to be even better although they will miss Bachrodt at the point.
I don't think so. I coached her in 8th grade (and then also coached her when I moved up to Varsity 2 years later). As far as I could tell, she always had her eyes on the Ivy League & had no interest in the in-state schools - and her academics were/are top notch (she was one of my best students in an AP class I teach).

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

Will be interesting to see what Berg does - Does she start playing 2nd semester and lose the half year or sit out the whole season to play 3 full years. (This is assuming she does not claim a "hardship" of some type to get a waiver from sitting out at all)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Will be interesting to see what Berg does - Does she start playing 2nd semester and lose the half year or sit out the whole season to play 3 full years. (This is assuming she does not claim a "hardship" of some type to get a waiver from sitting out at all)

Drake isn't Notre Dame so they won't get the preferred "Muffet is special and can beat UConn if we give her another eligible player" treatment. :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: mwwbbfan

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
My understanding is she will not be eligible to play until after Christmas 2019, ala January 2020.

Help Support Us

Become a patron