Lucca, Booz and Lee

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Losing Lucca would hurt. With him and Eik gone, we lose our best two shooters on a pretty awful 3-point shooting team. I would love to have Lucca and Boozer back. Boozer is probably my favorite player, and I think Lucca could have a big season . And have a chance to play for real money in America in a couple of years...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Losing Lucca would hurt. With him and Eik gone, we lose our best two shooters on a pretty awful 3-point shooting team. I would love to have Lucca and Boozer back. Boozer is probably my favorite player, and I think Lucca could have a big season . And have a chance to play for real money in America in a couple of years...

Percentage wise, JVB was the best 3-ball shooter. Lucca has nearly 0 chance to ever play professional ball in America, however he's got a shot right now to go play pro ball in Germany so he's got a tough decision.

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
Percentage wise, JVB was the best 3-ball shooter. Lucca has nearly 0 chance to ever play professional ball in America, however he's got a shot right now to go play pro ball in Germany so he's got a tough decision.
Pro Ball Iowa State Pro Ball Iowa State:skeptical:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
None of these guys including Eik shot the 3 well this past year. Lee and Booz did play good defense.

Yeah I'd love for them to stick around another year to see them prove themselves, but obviously they don't have the patience(Booz, Lee, and Eik) to see that through.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
None of these guys including Eik shot the 3 well this past year. Lee and Booz did play good defense.

Yeah I'd love for them to stick around another year to see them prove themselves, but obviously they don't have the patience(Booz, Lee, and Eik) to see that through.

If you don't think 38.5% from three point land is shooting it well, sorry. Lee is a good defender, and I have no idea why everyone thinks Boozer is a good defender. He's just as slow as Lucca on his feet. Boozer did account for a rebound every now and then, but to say he played good defense is a stretch.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
If you don't think 38.5% from three point land is shooting it well, sorry. Lee is a good defender, and I have no idea why everyone thinks Boozer is a good defender. He's just as slow as Lucca on his feet. Boozer did account for a rebound every now and then, but to say he played good defense is a stretch.

All right, I'll give you that on Boozer.

It just seemed none of those guys could can a 3 when it counted. I guess I got spoiled watching Fred Hoiberg, Michael Nurse, Kantrall Horton, Dedric Whilliby....

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
See: Craig Brackins.

Craig Brackins and the NBA are not a good combination, yet. Heck, even Iowa shut him down. He needed another year to improve his game and get stronger physically.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Craig Brackins and the NBA are not a good combination, yet. Heck, even Iowa shut him down. He needed another year to improve his game and get stronger physically.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Craig Brackins have a chance to declare to enter the NBA Draft? Yes he did. Was he going to be drafted? Yes, probably mid-late first round. That's money. Lucca Staiger has an offer to go play professional basketball in Germany. That's money.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think some of you need to remember Lucca has only played 1 year of D1 ball.

He has tons of room to improve. It would definitely be a big loss. Lucca is the perfect zone buster in combo with Garret/Brackins. I think he will improve quite a bit from year 1 to 2 if he stays.

SpRiNgLiMe

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2007
Ames
So is the opportunity to play pro in Germany a limited time slot? I guess the way I thought of it was, if he is good enough to play there now, he will be good enough after playing in the Big 12.

I don't know enough about the Euro-League to make a judgment about the situation.

Does anyone know more about the Euro-League? Is entry anything like the NBA in the sense that they are looking for younger talent?

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
So is the opportunity to play pro in Germany a limited time slot? I guess the way I thought of it was, if he is good enough to play there now, he will be good enough after playing in the Big 12.

I don't know enough about the Euro-League to make a judgment about the situation.

Does anyone know more about the Euro-League? Is entry anything like the NBA in the sense that they are looking for younger talent?

I think one key thing about the European leagues is that they limit the number of Americans on each team. So since Lucca is German, he has a bigger 'market' available to him there (in terms of roster spots available) than any American players do. If he's contributing on the junior national team and has a shot at the real national team, it stands to reason that he could be a good player in their pro league. As others have mentioned, he may have come to the conclusion after his year of DI bball that he doesn't have a great shot at the NBA. If this is true, and especially if his knee may be the limiting factor in his pro career, it would make a lot of sense for him to bolt back to Europe. That said, I really thought it would have made sense for Craig to go pro this year too.

Regardless of the factors behind Lucca's decision, I REALLY hope he stays. I think he could play a very special role on an ISU team with all the right pieces in place.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA

Something that I was thinking about. McDermott last year said Lucca's knee was in the shape of a 10 year vet. That it will never heal all the way and it's like this due to fatigue on his knee.

Perhaps Lucca feels like with 2 more years of College Basketball he could be looked at as damaged goods with a lessor chance of playing pro in Europe...

No idea, but something that I thought about this morning...

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I think one key thing about the European leagues is that they limit the number of Americans on each team. So since Lucca is German, he has a bigger 'market' available to him there (in terms of roster spots available) than any American players do. If he's contributing on the junior national team and has a shot at the real national team, it stands to reason that he could be a good player in their pro league. As others have mentioned, he may have come to the conclusion after his year of DI bball that he doesn't have a great shot at the NBA. If this is true, and especially if his knee may be the limiting factor in his pro career, it would make a lot of sense for him to bolt back to Europe. That said, I really thought it would have made sense for Craig to go pro this year too.

Regardless of the factors behind Lucca's decision, I REALLY hope he stays. I think he could play a very special role on an ISU team with all the right pieces in place.

That's a pretty good analysis. Also I wouldn't discount that Germany is great place to live and he may just want to go home.