Longest Amount of Time You Have Accidently Left the Oven On

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Back in 1996, my friends and I came home from the bars in sorry shape. Put some tater tots in the oven around 1am. I was awakened the next morning my a fireman in full gear entering my room and hollering at me, fire alarm screaming (but I didn't wake up from that), smoke filled in the apartment...

And the fireman said with disgust, 'Your tater tots are done!'

The things were like black tick tacks. It was just before I moved out of that place, and basically, the furniture was ruined due to smoke damage...and the landlords didn't give us back our damage deposit.

I had to dry clean all of my clothes to get the stench out.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
The thing is I don't ever leave stuff in the oven... I take it out and eat it and I just forget to turn it off. There is never anything in it.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Back in 1996, my friends and I came home from the bars in sorry shape. Put some tater tots in the oven around 1am. I was awakened the next morning my a fireman in full gear entering my room and hollering at me, fire alarm screaming (but I didn't wake up from that), smoke filled in the apartment...

And the fireman said with disgust, 'Your tater tots are done!'

The things were like black tick tacks. It was just before I moved out of that place, and basically, the furniture was ruined due to smoke damage...and the landlords didn't give us back our damage deposit.

I had to dry clean all of my clothes to get the stench out.

HAHA... Great story!!

Tator Tots??? WTF!

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
got home from bowling league, going out afterwards. very hammered. put about 30 Ms. Paul's fish sticks in the oven. passed out, wife got home from working the night shift at the hospital, anywhere from 6-8 hours later. not sure of exactly the time I passed out. no amount of tartar sauce would make those sticks taste good. she was so mad, she thought about making me eat them anyway.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
A friend got the bright idea to help his wife clean the kitchen in preparation for a party later in the day - mistake #1. He got the counters clear in record time thanks to using the oven as a handy stashing place - mistake #2. Everything was fine until his wife decided to fire up the oven in preparation for baking a dessert for the guests. They learned the hard way that blenders, coffee makers, and electric skillets are not oven proof.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I tend to leave the stove on for long periods of time, and I rarely use the oven. Last year a friend of mine was added the macaroni noodles to the boiling water, then her mom called so she was distracted by that. She ended up talking to her mom in her room for over an hour, forgetting about the boiling pot. She then took a nap for about an hour and when she woke up, the water had all boiled over and/or evaporated, and all that was left was a horrible smell that stayed in the apartment for days and ashes of macaroni noodles.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I think I ended up leaving the oven on for around 6 hours or so. I went out one night with a bunch of friends. Was pretty well drunk when I got home but I was pretty hungry.So I decided to throw in a pizza. But I never got to eat the pizza cause I ended up passing out. I woke up in the morning and realized....OH #$@%..I put a pizza in the oven. The house smelled like burnt food for a 3 days. Had all the windows open and the smell still wouldn't go away.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
3 days.

I left Ames to go home for christmas and my roommate was still there cooking dinner he went home to Des Moines later that night. I got back three days later to Ames and the oven was still on. Needless to say our gas bill was a bit higher that month.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
The thing is I don't ever leave stuff in the oven... I take it out and eat it and I just forget to turn it off. There is never anything in it.

I am with you. I put a pizza in and then take it out when the timer goes off. Then after a while I hear a "clicking" noise really faint (the oven getting to temp again) and I think oh ****.... I forgot to turn off the oven. I think I am in the 2-3 hour mark for not noticing.

cyclonemaniac7

Apr 11, 2006
3 days.

I left Ames to go home for christmas and my roommate was still there cooking dinner he went home to Des Moines later that night. I got back three days later to Ames and the oven was still on. Needless to say our gas bill was a bit higher that month.

This has to be the winner. That's crazy!

I think my record is only a few hours, and I wasn't drunk...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron