Longest Amount of Time You Have Accidently Left the Oven On

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Not saying I just noticed anything at all.... or that this story pertains to me or anything, but what is the longest amount of time you guys have ever left your oven on before realizing it? This story is not about me... it's about this guy I know, who did it, and just noticed it a few minutes before I started typing this. :wideeyed::wideeyed::wideeyed:

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I'm hoping someone gets into the "days" category to not make me feel like a complete moron.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Made tator tots for lunch at approximately 11am. Came home at around 5 or 6PM and couldn't figure out why it was so hot in my apartment. Then it dawned on me. Man, the gas bill was high that month!

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
My girlfriend once left on a gas oven for approximately 9 hours. The oven was old and had a leak. Let's just say that the dog was sleeping in the other room when she got home and the smell hung around for about 3 hours WITH the windows and door open.

jjisu

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Im willing to bet that there are a large number of people second guessing themselves and getting up and actually checking to see if their oven is on after reading this post......i know i did:skeptical:

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Hour or two maximum. I know one of my friends roommates put a pizza in the oven about 2 AM while drunk and then got it out of the oven the next morning about 8 or 9 I think.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
The wife does this regularly. She has also burned a number of things all to hell by leaving burners on and setting things on them - including an entire plastic strainer.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
On occaision, just until the end of my meal then I notice when I'm cleaning off the dishes.

I did have a roommate in college who started a pot of water boiling, and then went to Fareway to buy spaghetti. Of course, that was on purpose, but didn't seem too bright to me.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
The oven? I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't guess more than maybe 30 minutes beyond what I intended. I once left the grill on for 3 hours though. I managed to burn through an entire tank of propane.

usnclone

Feb 9, 2007
Hour or two maximum. I know one of my friends roommates put a pizza in the oven about 2 AM while drunk and then got it out of the oven the next morning about 8 or 9 I think.

Yes, I have done this myself. Needless to say the pizza was a little over cooked. It took many days to remove that awful smell. The bad part was my friend woke up a couple hours before me and never thought of doing anything(like seeing why the place smelled horrid). He did proceed to open a window after about an hour.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
The oven? I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't guess more than maybe 30 minutes beyond what I intended. I once left the grill on for 3 hours though. I managed to burn through an entire tank of propane.

Yeah, but you meant to do that, right? It's a good way to clean the grill. :wink:

clone61

Dec 8, 2007
NE Iowa
The wife does this regularly. She has also burned a number of things all to hell by leaving burners on and setting things on them - including an entire plastic strainer.

Sounds like my wife.. letting things burn and such.. found warmed pancakes the next morning that were crazy hard

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Not an oven, but a guy I work with tells a story about his exwife leaving the shower on for 8+ hours. He worked 3rd shift and she was going to take a shower when he was leaving for work. She started the shower as he was going out the door, but instead she went to bed. When he came home the shower was still running.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Was cooking my cell phone at 150 to dry it out and accidently left it in there for 3 1/2 hours after I fell asleep on the couch. Worked just fine for a year until I upgraded again.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
After an evening at a fine local establishment that rhymes with 'hips' we put in a pizza around 2 A.M. One roommate had to leave for work at 6:30 the next morning and he shut it off for us. The apt. smelled horrible for days.

Help Support Us

Become a patron