Lincoln coach to face possible charges for yelling

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
at the ref. First off, if you watch the video of the hit. The ref should be suspended, the Dowling player should be suspended and a 15 yard against the Lincoln coach. However, criminal charges against the coach? What a joke. I am not sure how the ref didn't see this as intentional targeting. Not sure in high school if the kid get's kicked out like college and Pros.

https://www.kcci.com/article/exclus...arges-after-incident-at-fridays-game/29380717

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
at the ref. First off, if you watch the video of the hit. The ref should be suspended, the Dowling player should be suspended and a 15 yard against the Lincoln coach. However, criminal charges against the coach? What a joke. I am not sure how the ref didn't see this as intentional targeting. Not sure in high school if the kid get's kicked out like college and Pros.

https://www.kcci.com/article/exclus...arges-after-incident-at-fridays-game/29380717

The ref should be suspended??? That's a ridiculous statement.

We can barely get enough refs to cover games in this state.

Should it have been flagged? Yes. But, here's some personal insight ... He was on the back side and it was a rough angle. That's how it was missed.

I'm sure this will be looked at by his evaluator. I'm, sure he will be aware of this. Remember, there is NO replay in high school. Accountability? Sure. Suspension for the ref? No, that's an impossible standard.

Criminal charges would all depend on exactly what was said. If it was just a profane tirade, no. If he said "I will meet you after the game and show you my gun," then yes, that's harassment.

(edit: for those who haven't seen my previous posts ... I've officiated high school football for 15 years. Normally I stay out of stuff, but was I was hoping this would provide some insight that what you see on camera isn't always what you see on the field.)

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The ref should be suspended??? That's a ridiculous statement.
We can barely get enough refs to cover games in this state, and now you're wanting to suspend one because he didn't call a helmet contact? He was on the back side and it was a rough angle. That's how it was missed. We make mistakes. Lighten up. Remember, there is NO replay in high school.

Criminal charges would all depend on exactly what was said. If it was just a profane tirade, no. If he said "I will meet you after the game and show you my gun," then yes, that's harassment.

Low participation doesn't excuse someone from being crappy at their job.

Kind of ironic in this day and age when everyone is concerned about player safety, there is so much support for an official that missed an obvious call on a dangerous hit.

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

This sort of thing happened back when I was in school when they use to call that kind of hit "spearing". Dad of the player didn't go after the ref.........he went after the other player. There is one thing about hard nosed hitting....another when it is a launch to inflict damage. That certainly looks like what happened here. It doesn't take a well trained official to see that either. And I imagine had it been called properly the dad doesn't take it out on the ref.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Then maybe Jason Garrett should resign from the Cowboys after he yelled something to the ref and got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Seems Jerry is OK with the profanity, so be it that its the NFL and not high school. I don't think any ref should have to deal with profanity at any level.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Coaches either have gotten worse or it’s more noticeable. The local coaches throw f bombs about every third word and just a couple games ago were out acting like jack wagons screaming at the refs for what they deemed a bad call, turned out the refs were right but only one coach apologized for it.

Always wondered why coaches can get by acting like a complete tool to HS kids but at any other job they would be instantly canned or have charges filed on them. Maybe this is the start. Don’t take this wrong, I understand they need to be loud because they can’t continually repeat themselves with action happening as they try to communicate but it honestly doesn’t give them a right to humiliate a HS kid or attack officials about a difference of opinion.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Then maybe Jason Garrett should resign from the Cowboys after he yelled something to the ref and got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Seems Jerry is OK with the profanity, so be it that its the NFL and not high school. I don't think any ref should have to deal with profanity at any level.

See I disagree. If you can't handle being sworn at then you probably shouldn't be an official. I mean come on it cussing someone out, it's more funny than harmful.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Even a parent at a Little League game having a profanity laced melt down with a volunteer umpire? The line has to be drawn somewhere.

There is a difference between a kid getting a strike called on him and a parent acting a fool and yelling at the ref and a kid going head first, taking a head shot at another kid. That call was an easy call to make in this day and age in football. If I was a coach and it happened to my son I would have done the same thing. I mean you see a kid go after your son's head and the ref does nothing. I am totally against yelling at refs and I have kids who play sports. However, this is different. The ref should have got yelled at for this one.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There is a difference between a kid getting a strike called on him and a parent acting a fool and yelling at the ref and a kid going head first, taking a head shot at another kid. That call was an easy call to make in this day and age in football. If I was a coach and it happened to my son I would have done the same thing. I mean you see a kid go after your son's head and the ref does nothing. I am totally against yelling at refs and I have kids who play sports. However, this is different. The ref should have got yelled at for this one.

Do the refs ever get to yell and berate a coach if the coach is wrong in their assessment? Not saying the coach’s opinion was wrong here, but I have not seen a ref go off like this when a coach goes ballistic and is completely wrong.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Kind of ironic in this day and age when everyone is concerned about player safety, there is so much support for an official that missed an obvious call on a dangerous hit.

How many missed calls did anyone see on Saturday? How many missed calls did Hokulee have in his illustrious career? Ref missed it and in our next game the refs will miss things.

If that guy was just a crappy ref then he shouldn't be on the field - but to hold a ref to an impossible standard is impossible.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

Exactly. This is kind of the same argument for the police. Not to get political or anything but there is no defending the official here. We can argue about what the appropriate action against him would be but the lack of accountability is what breeds these tirades by fans and coaches. No one should go after an official but officials shouldn’t be immune from criticism. Yes they have a tough job but their job is to get stuff right. When they screw up they deserve to be called out.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
See I disagree. If you can't handle being sworn at then you probably shouldn't be an official. I mean come on it cussing someone out, it's more funny than harmful.

Reminds me of one of the scrimmages during Rhoads era. For those that have not been in those the coaches generally roam wherever they want/assume their normal practice "positions". In this case that meant that the secondary coach (Elliott at the time) was hanging out deep behind the safetys. Anyway the back judge missed what Elliott thought was an obvious PI and just went off on him. After a few minutes when Elliott walked away Rhoads just strolled over and says "You don't get that much back here do you?"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Depends on what was used around the cussing.

If there was a threat of violence or something, that's over the line.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That was a blatant targeting and the coach was not exaggerating too much about it getting his kid killed. Football is a violent game and it's on the refs to enforce the rules so as to not increase the likelihood of serious injuries. That one was as obvious as it comes, and that kid could have wound up paralyzed.

I would imagine the discrepancy between the two teams played a role here too. I'd venture to guess this game was a total blowout and there's no need to be out there trying to take a kid's head off. I'm sure it all boiled over for the coach.

I'm curious if the ref is actually pursuing the charges. I would hope anyone in law enforcement would sit him down and explain to him that they have actual crimes to investigate and prosecute, and a coach saying something that may have hurt his feelings, and may have even crossed the lines, is still not a matter that should require the involvement of law enforcement.

Last edited:

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006

I agree that low participation is not an excuse and I’m not defending the ref for missing a call. Just saying if it was that bad that the coach felt the need to resign it might be bad enough to warrant criminal charges. Without knowing what he said it’s hard to take sides.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The call was obvious and should have been made, but if the harassment charges are being talked about for the coach and he's choosing to resign then he must have said some truly heinous **** and that's not acceptable either.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron